VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

26 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

My main annoyance:

Reveal hidden contents

Dickie was not in fact killed by a police officer but whacked by Uncle Junior for laughing at him falling down some stairs...? What the fuck is that all about?

Spoiler

No the officer still killed him. Tony makes it clear to Christopher the officer was a hired gun who was handy for them to use, but had now run out of his use, hence why chris can now kill him. The difference is he was hired by Junior and not who they thought (No doubt the story was put around about the cellmate etc. Infact Dickie mentions about taking someones eye, which fit in with the story of who hired the killer) Also makes sense why the officer was not killed sooner.

• Paid Members

Ready or Not

Overdue rewatch, still just such a great watch and so well put together from start to finish. About time Samara Weaving was a megastar.

Hocus Pocus (cinema)

Worth circumnavigating the Tory conference for. Really funny, Bette Midler is fantastic, and being dressed as a blonde witch does wonders for Sarah Jessica Parker. Like, damn.

Caveat (Shudder)

A really good idea behind this one but it feels stretched thin even at 90 minutes. Would have made an incredible short film, but it's really not a bad effort for Damian McCarthy's debut.

Delirium (1987)

Typically mental late giallo from Lamberto Bava. Lots of massive tits, massive tits being bled on, terrible acting, and general lunacy. Sabrina Salerno is among the massive tits on display; sadly does not treat us to a rendition of Boys.

Land of the Dead (Horror Channel)

Pretty much as above average as I remembered. Doesn't hold much as a great horror film but it works really well as an action film. The bit with the zombies crossing the river is still awesome.

Hunter Hunter

A really tense survival thriller becomes something more sinister but less interesting in its final third. Its tremendously revolting last 5 minutes are already notorious but also, sadly, pretty stupid. Pretty impressive feel-bad stuff overall, though.

Malignant

Glad I didn't see this at the cinema because James Wan is a terrible horror film director who only has one idea - jump scares. I'm assuming someone directed the second half though, when this becomes an ultra-violent action thriller and becomes absolutely brilliant. The police station scene is fucking astonishing. Annabelle Wallis is wonderful.

Kingdom of the Spiders

Not as good as Eight Legged Freaks in the 'small town is overrun by spiders' stakes, but still pretty good fun. Would have been more palatable if William Shatner wasn't so horny.

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker (Shudder)

Superb and amazingly progressive early-80s slasher with possibly Susan Tyrrell's most deranged performance. She was great. Features a young Bill Paxton by way of a welcome bonus. Really shocked at how great this was even though its title is stupid.

Absolutely shocking that a James Wan horror film has a stronger second half than first. He routinely puts all the best scares in the first half then just repeats them in to overdrive in the second with a massive over the top ending. Think I’ll watch Malignant now.

• Paid Members

@Devon Malcolmi agree on Malignant. Definitely a film of 2 halves, but Annabelle Wallis should be bigger then she is. Liked her in the otherwise Awful Mummy reboot as well.

Ready or Not is a hell of a lot of fun. Was surprised with it. 

You’ll be delighted to hear Hocus Pocus 2 is currently in production for Disney+ to come out next year as well with the original cast, at least if the witches. Early Doug Jones role which is underrated in his career. 

• Paid Members

There's Someone Inside Your House (Netflix)

Absolutely terrible slasher film made by people who have never met a high school kid since they left high school themselves. Just completely boring piss.

• Paid Members
On 10/4/2021 at 8:01 PM, LaGoosh said:

I watched the new Candyman today. It's not very good, not scary and lacks all the amazing subtlety, mood, cleverness and atmosphere of the wonderful original. However it's intentions were good so I can't say I hated it. I liked the last 2-3 minutes of it quite a bit.

They've remade "Candyman"?!?!? Holy Jeebus. Do they have that bit where people are in the police lineup and each one says something like "Give me the money bitch!" or something (after the woman gets jumped)? Always cracks me up. Original was brilliant, even "Candyman 2: Farewell to the Flesh" had a fair few gory moments. Avoid everything after.

With it being Halloween month been watching a bunch of horror/slasher flicks including giving Scream a rewatch.

The Prowler (1981)

Thirty-Five years after a couple were murdered in the town, students holding a Graduation dance are targeted by a man clad in World War II fatigues. The kills are nasty (most involving a pitchfork) and the FX superb for the time. Only kept from the slasher top rung by its at times slowness.

Attack of the Adult Babies (2017) (Horror Bites)

A married man sets up an elaborate plot to retrieve an incriminating file of his from an exclusive retreat for adult babies. This is directed by Paddy from Emmerdale which was the primary reason I gave it a watch. And yes, this is a horror, of sorts! Lots of gore and an over-reliance on toilet humour. Thaila Zucchi spends the film dressed as a sexy nurse so it’s not all bad, even if most of it is.

Curtains (1983) (YouTube)

Six actresses auditioning for a movie role at the director’s remote mansion are targeted by a masked killer. I liked this.

Spoiler

There’s a good twist at the end and whilst I didn’t think the killer was the obvious, I didn’t think it was who it ended up being either.

The haggard old woman mask is particularly creepy.

Scream (1981) (YouTube)

A party on some sort of outdoor adventure trip spend the night in an old ghost town where members of the group start to be killed off one by one. Like literally nothing happens bar the kills! Lousy film with lousy acting.

Scream (1996)

One year after Sidney Prescott’s mother is murdered more killings start to occur in the town of Woodsboro with Sidney herself becoming a target. The film that single handedly revived the slasher genre. Had to watch this after recently watching its awful 1981 namesake! And it’s still great.

Scream 2 (1997)

It’s the opening weekend of Stab, a movie based on the Woodsboro murders, and the killings start up again. Sidney, now at Windsor College, once more a target. During the film they joke about naming a sequel that is better than the original, and while this isn’t, it’s not far off it.

Scream 3 (2000)

The cast of Stab 3 start being killed, drawing Sidney out of her secluded rural life and off to Hollywood. The killer’s explanation for their motives is a lazy get out, giving the impression this one wasn’t originally planned. Parker Posey is funny as “Gale” but a big step behind the previous two.

Scream 4 (2011)

Sidney returns to Woodsboro to promote her new self-help book, just as a fresh batch of killings commence. The Prescotts are one dysfunctional family. It’s like we’re going around in circles though now and we’ve seen this all before.

The Forest (1982) (YouTube)

A man, who now lives as a hermit after murdering his cheating wife and her lover, kills hikers and campers for their meat while his dead children try to warn those he targets. There may be ghostly apparitions and cannibalism but it’s still another Friday 13th rip off. Cheap, bizarre and painfully bad.

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

Two U.S. backpackers get attacked by a werewolf on the Yorkshire Moors, one of them survives, but as a result whenever there is full moon he then turns into one himself. The transformation scene is incredible, as are the FX and make-up. Wasn’t sure whether this would be for me, turns out it was. Plus it has Brian Glover in it.

2 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

This is directed by Paddy from Emmerdale which was the primary reason I gave it a watch

He’s a big horror fan. I met him at a wedding, the groom was an organiser of a horror film festival and said he always helped out at it and they became mates. I pretended not to know him and chatted about two tone music. Lovely bloke, although I think Butch might disagree when he was his neighbour.