VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

@Devon Malcolm have you ever wrote your opinion on the Halloween franchise, if so wanna point it in my direction. I watched the original again recently, then followed it up with the 2 recent releases, greatly enjoyed it, I think the 2 recent sequels did a great job of taking the original and adding more depth and story. Some clever nods to the originals too without it becoming to distracting.

Being off work at the mo, Ive binged Brooklyn Nine Nine and just finished Season 1 of The Good Place 

In between that, I've been watching some incredibly shitty disaster movies/mini series. 

Earthquake: Fall of Los Angeles has a strong cast including:- Skeletor, Barbara Eve Harris, Beau Bridges and the ubiquitous Dean Cain.

It's well shot and despite really cheap CGI and  actually has some good set pieces. The acting though is abysmal, but at least not everyone is safe, from 'Murica saving the world' , and has a bleak ending too. 

Los Angeles is destroyed in the first five seconds, so the name is a bit of a misnomer and the whole thing pays homage to other disaster movies including Dantes Peak, Posiedon and Independence Day. 

Went on forever, but had laughs value because of the piss poor acting and awful cgi. 

Apocalypse Tomorrow takes the worst out of disaster movies, sprinkles some Indiana Jones and signs of the zodiac Dan Brown style fuckwittery. 

The star of this is those black federal SUVs which must be cheap to rent, and reverse over the shoulder shots which the director seemed obsessed with.

The whole thing is 'cleverly' shot around a Canadian University Campus. Aaron Douglas, chief from Battlestar Galactica is the 'big bad' and has a cameo from Christopher Lloyd as well. 

It's exactly as awful as you'd expect. 

Impact, is another mini series style thing from Canada. This time the moon gets struck/destoyed by an imploded Brown Star Meteorite, causing the moon to crack into many peices after its orbit has been destabilised due to the density of the Brown Star debris. 

One of the main protagonists is unbearable and his death was met with cheers. A hero he is not. Borrowing liberally from Armageddon and Deep Impact as well as containing surprise James Cromwell and assorted BSG alumni, it is not a complete waste and has the best effects of the three, but also adheres to the shot on a University Campus rule somewhere to save money. 

Having worked through many of the Asylum disaster movies and those on Pluto TV, I've had to go to 2nd hand DVD market for dodgy disaster movies. 

If anyone has any recommendations then I'm definitely all ears. 

• Paid Members

This isn't related to any film in particular, but I'd like some input - I've quit Sky after many years, and with neither the funds nor the space to buy physical copies of most films available, what's an acceptable ratio in your views of physical & digital purchases?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, seph said:

This isn't related to any film in particular, but I'd like some input - I've quit Sky after many years, and with neither the funds nor the space to buy physical copies of most films available, what's an acceptable ratio in your views of physical & digital purchases?

Any titles that you would feel lost without, buy physical copies as even with digital "purchases", they can be taken away at any time.

9 minutes ago, seph said:

I tend to wait, grab them for a quid or so at Poundland, charity shops, watch them, donate to charity if dont want to keep. 

Not that expensive and solves the storage issue too

1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

Any titles that you would feel lost without, buy physical copies as even with digital "purchases", they can be taken away at any time.

If you're talking HDD failure, then you can always re-download them via the usual sources. 

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Perry said:

If you're talking HDD failure, then you can always re-download them via the usual sources. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of never actually owning the film(despite "purchasing" it digitally), and the risk of the selling platform losing the rights and withdrawing it. I'm not sure if it has actually happened with movies/TV shows, but it has with music and ebooks which work on the same licensing basis. 

Obviously, if Seph is happy to sail the pirate seas for his movies then he wouldn't have that issue... 

2 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

I'm thinking more along the lines of never actually owning the film(despite "purchasing" it digitally), and the risk of the selling platform losing the rights and withdrawing it. I'm not sure if it has actually happened with movies/TV shows, but it has with music and ebooks which work on the same licensing basis. 

Obviously, if Seph is happy to sail the pirate seas for his movies then he wouldn't have that issue... 

Not sure about that, if you've purchased a movie or boxset it should be yours to keep regardless of rights.  It's a bit like Buy & Keep from Sky, if they no longer have the movie available to purchase, it'll still remain on your box.  Unlike Sky Cinema, once they lose the rights to the movie it automatically deletes from your planner even if you have recorded it.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Perry said:

Not sure about that, if you've purchased a movie or boxset it should be yours to keep regardless of rights.  It's a bit like Buy & Keep from Sky, if they no longer have the movie available to purchase, it'll still remain on your box.  Unlike Sky Cinema, once they lose the rights to the movie it automatically deletes from your planner even if you have recorded it.

I agree, that's how it should be. It happens though:

https://movieweb.com/apple-itunes-deleting-purchased-movies/

36 minutes ago, Perry said:

Not sure about that, if you've purchased a movie or boxset it should be yours to keep regardless of rights.

It happens, I bought Pi from the Apple store (mmmmm Apple pie) but a few years later it got removed and they gave me a money off voucher. 

I don’t think you “Buy the movie”, you’re buying a license to watch it. like you don’t buy video games, just the license to play. That’s why they have the warnings about where you can and can’t watch it. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Perry said:

Do you know if it stays in your planner if you actually record the film off Sky Premiere? I know if you download from Sky Cinema section it deletes them, but always wondered about an actual recording from one of the channels.

@seph one option you could look at it is Cinema Paradiso where you pay a monthly fee and rent blu rays through the post, just like Lovefilm used to do

20 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Do you know if it stays in your planner if you actually record the film off Sky Premiere? I know if you download from Sky Cinema section it deletes them, but always wondered about an actual recording from one of the channels.

@seph one option you could look at it is Cinema Paradiso where you pay a monthly fee and rent blu rays through the post, just like Lovefilm used to do

If you record something then it'll stay. I've got stuff on my box from years ago. I remember my disappointment the first time my downloaded ones started disappearing..

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

If you record something then it'll stay. I've got stuff on my box from years ago. I remember my disappointment the first time my downloaded ones started disappearing..

Thanks  I thought that was the case, I’ll have to bear that in mind in the future 

So Dune sure was Dune, wasn't it? I'm surprised just how faithful it was but then it was never going to stray too far after the Lynch film.

It delivered everything I wanted visually, Denis hit it out of the park in that regard and even Zimmer's soundtrack was good. Well worth watching in a cinema instead of on tv.

I also got to see Titane which I really don't want to say much about, it's a fucking wild ride that needs to be experienced without knowing too much, much more chaotic than Julia's previous film RAW but oddly touching and tender too.