VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Walk Like a Panther (2018) (All 4)

Watched this last night and it's quite possibly one of the unfunniest comedies I've seen. Apt for this forum, it's about a group of former wrestlers who put on one final show to raise funds for their local pub which is facing closure.  In Stephen Graham, Christopher Fairbank, Sheila Johnston and Lindsey Coulson there are some excellent actors on board, but none of them can save this turd. You've got Lee from Desmond's dragged up for reasons that are never explained, the big fella from Birds of a Feather, Ray Von, a glam Jill Halfpenny looking half the age of her supposed contemporaries and Steve Furst and Scroobius Pip both plumbing new depths with their "acting". The film drags, the ending is predictable and laughs are non-existent. Runs for a shade under 1hr 50mins and there are far better things you can do with your time than watch this.

Edited by Magnum Milano

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Wasn’t Walk Like A Panther such a disaster that they didn’t even bother releasing it on DVD? Or have I imagined that

Digital release only over here. Think it got a physical release elsewhere. I saw it at the cinema with an unlimited card 🤦🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Watched this last night and it's quite possibly one of the unfunniest comedies I've seen. Apt for this forum, it's about a group of former wrestlers who put on one final show to raise funds for their local pub which is facing closure.  In Stephen Graham, Christopher Fairbank, Sheila Johnston and Lindsey Coulson there are some excellent actors on board, but none of them can save this turd. You've got Lee from Desmond's dragged up for reasons that are never explained, the big fella from Birds of a Feather, Ray Von, a glam Jill Halfpenny looking half the age of her supposed contemporaries and Steve Furst and Scroobius Pip both plumbing new depths with their "acting". The film drags, the ending is predictable and laughs are non-existent. Runs for a shade under 1hr 50mins and there are far better things you can do with your time than watch this.

I never even considered watching this until I read this scathing summary. I’m broken.

• Paid Members

I once interviewed Steve Furst and he asked me what I thought of it and I said I thought he was great in it. Nothing else was said. I’ve never seen a comedy in the cinema with so few people laughing at it. Completely bombed at the box office, think it was pulled after it’s first week. Fox thought it was the next Full Monty.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

I'm reporting this post to the mods. It's misleading. It makes this film sound like campy, so bad it's good brilliance and doesn't highlight just how terrible this thing is. You bastard @Magnum Milano

There's one decent line, which might only pop me for obvious reasons but when he's talking mystically about influence from "the East" and Guz Khan says "What, Hull?" I did laugh. That's it, that's your one. I loved "We shall not be moved" playing over the intro too. Great tune.

The rest is just fucking atrocious. It's not cheesy fun in any way, it's more cheesy skin-crawling embarrassment. It's also produced in the most ludicrous fashion. It's almost like they don't want to give away the obvious ending, so lots of scenes just tail off. They're mid-conversation and then it just jumps. I'm sure someone thinks they've pulled off some genius here.

The characters are so poorly fleshed out. The blonde fella who may or may not be the Dad of the baby with the wig is not a story with any background to make you root for them. Gill Halfpenny is fit as fuck and is the best thing about this by a million miles. Why does Ricky Whatsit turn babyface and become some master wrestling trainer other than because they needed a Rocky montage? Why even is Steven Tomlinson trying to tear down the pub? Who is the woman who just turns up 80% of the way through the film to save the day? Why did I watch this?

18 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I never even considered watching this until I read this scathing summary. I’m broken.

Don't do it!

I did warn you!

I have no idea about that woman who just turns up to save the day and also happens to be a wrestling fan. I tried looking for her in the credits and even googling but was still at a loss. A slight positive is that I thought the referee was Marty Scurll, which would make this sink even lower, but it was apparently someone called Ed Gamester

On 11/9/2021 at 11:45 AM, Magnum Milano said:

I reckon Stephen Graham must've had some spare time on his hands to be involved in that shite.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Perry said:

I reckon Stephen Graham must've had some spare time on his hands to be involved in that shite.

It was based on a 2011 pilot for a series that was never commissioned, which stared most of the film cast. It feels very much like a passion project which is why it was so disapointing it turned out so dull and boring. Everyone involved clearly wanted it to work, it just didn't.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It was based on a 2011 pilot for a series that was never commissioned, which stared most of the film cast. It feels very much like a passion project which is why it was so disapointing it turned out so dull and boring. Everyone involved clearly wanted it to work, it just didn't.

Was that anything to do with the short which had a load of World of Sport era wrestlers getting the bus? (I want to say that Mackenzie Crook and Matt Berry were involved in that, but not WLAP)

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Was that anything to do with the short which had a load of World of Sport era wrestlers getting the bus? (I want to say that Mackenzie Crook and Matt Berry were involved in that, but not WLAP)

That was "World of Wrestling", which involved Mackenzie Crook, but not Matt Berry. I don't think it had anything to do with Walk Like A Panther - different writer and director. It was part of a series of short films about '70s/'80s pop culture figures in mundane situations - the other two were Antmuzak about Adam & The Ants in a supermarket, and Blake's Junction Seven about the cast of Blake's 7 stopping at a service station.

The best part of all of it was the in-character promos they did on Youtube: