VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Saw Red Notice last night. Maybe I went in with very low expectations but thought it was a fun watch but did kind of get a little silly towards the end. I was watching at 2am in the morning so maybe its one of those films you can have on and just try and enjoy it for what it is (silly jokes/action scenes). 

I do usually hate these kind of films though, so maybe I caught it on a good day/good time. As daft as it sounds, I would have gone in with higher expectations if I paid to see this on the big screen so watching on Netflix maybe lowered my expectations in that respect. 

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Factotum said:

The Rock continues to churn out stinkers. Outside FF franchise films, has he been in anything good...sort of...ever?

Not really. For the huge amount of talent, charisma and likeability he has it's actually incredible how bad his films always are. I doubt there's anyone comparable when it comes to star power & box office success despite making utter shite in Hollywood history. The wheels have got to fall off at some point you'd think.

41 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I'd love to see The Rock in some sort of horror film. Not the usual family fare they stick him in. See what he can do.

"Scorpion King" was pretty good IIRC. "Welcome to the Jungle" was alright IMO. Not brilliant.

Doom was watchable, but I may be biased. 

Who would ever have thought that Big Match John would have better comedy chops than The Rock and big Dave probably better acting chops. Outside of Moana, the Jumanji’s which I thoroughly enjoyed and Journey 2 which was way better than it had any right to be I can’t say I enjoy much else of his. It’s not even like it’s him either, he just works with shit scripts and directors. Needs to find himself a Denis Villenueve like Dave.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

He's done plenty of good films but not as much range to them as Big Match John and Big Dave. Fast and Furious picked up notably when he joined the series and he's been in all the best films in that. Both Jumanji films are excellent. Journey 2 was good fun, as was Faster. Pain & Gain was pretty great, and Central Intelligence and Baywatch are enjoyable, as were Skyscraper and Rampage. He's had a stinker of a 2021 though and next year he's doing superhero films, so fuck that. He's probably around 40% to 50% of his stuff being decent since he ditched wrestling.

• Paid Members

I watched Donnie Darko last night. Caveat - I was a few pints in and maybe fell asleep for a bit of it.

I was a Film Studies/Media student in the early 2000s, and everyone was obsessed with this film. People wanted to rip it off in their own short films, or else used bits of the score as a short cut for "atmosphere". 

Watching it for the first time since then, I think it's aged horribly and really doesn't work at all. Donnie isn't a believable or remotely likeable character in any way - everything about him screams "school shooter" to 2021 eyes - the 1980s setting seems utterly irrelevant to anything going on, and just an excuse to use some (admittedly great) '80s goth tracks on the soundtrack, and feels like a precursor to the worst bits of Stranger Things or Fear Street being just "remember the past, yeah?". The atmosphere is never anything more than window dressing, and the "complex" story is just a load of teen angst bollocks. 

It feels like a movie for moody teenagers who haven't graduated to watching David Lynch yet; the atmosphere, the small town paranoia and "is this real or not?" all feels like Twin Peaks with neither the charm nor the depth, and it just doesn't really feel like it has anything to say. It's a mess of ideas that doesn't hold up, and that's probably going to be a really unpopular opinion, but I found very little to like about it outside of the soundtrack this time around.

43 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I watched Donnie Darko last night. Caveat - I was a few pints in and maybe fell asleep for a bit of it.

I was a Film Studies/Media student in the early 2000s, and everyone was obsessed with this film. People wanted to rip it off in their own short films, or else used bits of the score as a short cut for "atmosphere". 

Watching it for the first time since then, I think it's aged horribly and really doesn't work at all. Donnie isn't a believable or remotely likeable character in any way - everything about him screams "school shooter" to 2021 eyes - the 1980s setting seems utterly irrelevant to anything going on, and just an excuse to use some (admittedly great) '80s goth tracks on the soundtrack, and feels like a precursor to the worst bits of Stranger Things or Fear Street being just "remember the past, yeah?". The atmosphere is never anything more than window dressing, and the "complex" story is just a load of teen angst bollocks. 

It feels like a movie for moody teenagers who haven't graduated to watching David Lynch yet; the atmosphere, the small town paranoia and "is this real or not?" all feels like Twin Peaks with neither the charm nor the depth, and it just doesn't really feel like it has anything to say. It's a mess of ideas that doesn't hold up, and that's probably going to be a really unpopular opinion, but I found very little to like about it outside of the soundtrack this time around.

I have such fond memories of the film and how I felt about it at the time that I'm just not sure I ever want to revisit it. There's just some experiences I hold dearly and that's one of them for some reason. I think it's one of those that resonated with me as a person then but 20 years later I'm not sure what I'd see in it.

I always thought that Donnie Darko was alright and nothing more. I never disliked it, but I have no urge to ever watch it again.

At the time of it’s release it was being wanked over by sixth form media studies students who considered themselves a "movie buff" because they've seen all of Quentin Tarintino's films. They're the kind of people who have probably now changed their view on the movie to "it's like Primer, for kids".

• Paid Members

Donnie Darko's still pretty good. I've never been a fan of criticising a piece of art because it's aged as I think that can lead to significant issues when assessing the merits of older art. Even so in this case, I just don't see it anyway except to say that society's changed - but that's obvious?

Its strongest aspect is that it's got a really heavy downbeat atmosphere hanging over it that I love. And the cast are great, too. Obviously Richard Kelly's been exposed as a total hack since so it's definitely a fluke, but I still like it.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Its strongest aspect is that it's got a really heavy downbeat atmosphere hanging over it that I love. And the cast are great, too. Obviously Richard Kelly's been exposed as a total hack since so it's definitely a fluke, but I still like it.

And to tie in the last conversation, he directed The Rock in Southland Tales. Speaking of which, I always enjoyed The Rock in Be Cool, Walking Tall and The Game Plan which is a cheesy Disney kids movie, but thought he was good in it.