VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

I watched To The Devil a Daughter the other night. Utter tosh. Some decent visuals but an incomprehensible plot. Just didn't hold together at all. A decent cast, but really disappointing stuff from Hammer.

Much better was Urban Cowboy. Not an amazing film by any means, but much better than I'd been lead to believe it would be. Travolta and Winger are both very good in it. The storyline is a little silly, since it's all over who can ride a mechanical bull the best, but the soundtrack, fashion and overall 'feel' of the film are all sound. 

I read the (excellent) article it was based on the other day and wondered if the film would make the Travolta character as unappealing as the real person and, surprisingly, they did. Very jarring seeing him slap around women and talk about being taken home and getting 'raped'. 

I watched The Harder They Fall on the weekend. Jonathan Majors is the real deal. He  was decent in Lovecraft Country but at the end of Loki he showed he had bags of charisma and in The Harder They Fall he rubber stamps that fact. Needs to play Wesley Snipes son in the Demolition Man sequel. Good cast all round to be honest and Idris Elba doesn’t do a shit Idris Elba in this one. Need further convincing? Zazie Beetz as a western lady.

Also watched Finch. Better than Chappie not as good as Short Circuit. 

• Paid Members

Red Notice (Netflix)

$200 million for Ryan Reynolds to play Ryan Reynolds again, The Rock to suddenly look way too old for this sort of thing, and for Gal Gadot to do absolutely nothing. Absolutely no idea where the money went on this. If Netflix want to get an action franchise going, why didn't they spend this money on a sequel to 6 Underground, an actual good action film? This is just worthless.

Ron's Gone Wrong (cinema)

This year's been really short of good animated films but this would still be the best in most years. Zach Galifianakis' voice work is incredible. No surprise Disney tried to bury it because it makes most of their stuff look shit.

Escape Room: Tournament of Champions

At least I didn't pay for this one like I did with the prequel. Can't stump up one decent idea in its entire wretched running time. The games are stupidly complicated and it's fucking boring. All films about escape rooms are total shit.

Sweet Girl (Netflix)

Features a late twist that's so awful that even Shyamalan wouldn't use it. Why the fuck did Jason Momoa agree to this? Nice to see Amy Brenneman in something though.

Vacation Friends 

I mean, it's a John Cena comedy so obviously great. Meredith Hagner is fantastic as well and apparently she's married to Wyatt Russell so I like her even more now.

Blood Red Sky (Netflix)

If this had been 85 minutes long by cutting out the pointless flashbacks, this could legitimately have been one of the biggest surprises of the year. As it is, still a really enjoyable action-horror film. The sort of thing Netflix should be concentrating more on.

The Marksman (Prime)

A Liam Neeson actioner rarely fails to entertain but absolutely nothing happens in this at all.

Sister Act & Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit (that's an underrated title by the way)

Yes, everything is fine thanks.

LA Confidential

Absolutely superb and Russell Crowe is so fit in it.

10 Things I Hate About You

Never seen it before, me and my eldest loved it. Really smart, sharp comedy, Ledger and Stiles are excellent. 

Heat

Features one of the funniest moments in cinema when Al says "She got a.. GREAT ASS" Kills me every time.

Serendipity 

Kate would never fancy Cusack with that haircut. Silly.

57 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Sister Act & Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit (that's an underrated title by the way)

Yes, everything is fine thanks.

I genuinely love Sister Act 2. I'd love to see the parallel universe where Lauryn Hill continued with acting rather than starting Fugees. She's massively underrated in it and could have gone on to great things if she'd stuck with it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Ron's Gone Wrong (cinema)

This year's been really short of good animated films but this would still be the best in most years. Zach Galifianakis' voice work is incredible. No surprise Disney tried to bury it because it makes most of their stuff look shit.

Sorry to be that guy, but the real reason it was buried (and near me it had way more advertising then Raya did, mainly cos the cinemas are open again) but it’s because the animation studio who made it signed a deal with Fox, but backed out when they merged with Disney and now their next films will be for WB Animation. British company as well.

I agree, thought it was a good film, probably my favourite animated one this year, although I did really enjoy Raya as well. Everyone I recommended it to though thought it was dull, the weirdos. Hopefully will get a better audience when it goes on Disney+ in a month or 2.

41 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

But then we wouldn’t have had The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill and the world would have been a poorer place. 

Imagine wanting her to continue acting over music (I mean she could've done both) when she made three classic albums, and one of them being a genuine contender for one of the greatest albums of all time.

Off the back of Sister Act 2 no less!!!

36 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I never said I wanted her to continue acting over music. I said it would be interesting to see where her acting career would have gone if she had decided to go that route instead. It's just a hypothetical, fucking hell.

I wasn't being that serious pal, nothing on this site ever is.

I did slightly misread your post, so apologies, but nevertheless, I don't think she shows that much incredible talent in Sister Act 2. She's good, but not amazing. She made the right choice to continue with music IMO.

TIL that film is directed by Bill Duke.

6 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Ryan Reynolds is unwatchable. Mr One note, that vaguely worked in Deadpool.

The Rock continues to churn out stinkers. Outside FF franchise films, has he been in anything good...sort of...ever? The Jumanji films are standard fare, but struggling to think of much else.

I enjoyed Central Intelligence and Moana. I did enjoy him in some pop video called The Man which I found utterly brilliant.