VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

I watched Texasville (the 1991 sequel to The Last Picture Show) last night. 

It was better than I'd been lead to believe it was, but still not a great film or anything and nowhere near as good as Last Picture Show. There's not much of a plot, besides people sleeping around and feeling sad that they're not in high school anymore, are broke or have failing families etc. 

I was expecting something to happen when Jacy (an utterly annoying Cybil Shepherd) showed up, but it didn't. 

Still, I'm a sucker for anything with a bit of a western look and feel to it and Jeff Bridges is good value. Cracking soundtrack as well, with Willie and Waylon going comfortably with Madonna and Springsteen.  

I knew a guy at University who was fucking obsessed with Donnie Dario, said on a number of occasions, without a hint of irony, that it was the greatest film ever made.

I can’t remember when I last watched it, must be at least 10 years ago possibly even longer, and I’ve never thought of it as being an out & out “bad film”, but it’s definitely one that thinks it’s more profound and better than it is. It came around at the right time to capture that media student audience, the time when films that were considered “less mainstream” and World Cinema began to reach a wider audience.

I probably will revisit it some day, I’m aware that there’s a Director’s Cut of it that I’ve never seen. I think it got a 4K release by Arrow Video at some point in the last year

• Paid Members

I can't be arsed to look it up, but I have a memory of the Director's Cut including a bunch of extra material to explain the time travel shit and remove any ounce of mystery from the plot. I have no memory of the actual thing, just coming away from it thinking it was my first tim seeing a Director's Cut where the studio had made the right decision in cutting it to shreds.

32 minutes ago, TheSurgeon said:

Just got back from Ghostbusters : Afterlife, no spoilers, but definately worth a watch if you're a fan of the original.

This is the first positive review I've seen. I'll still watch it though.

I loved Donnie Darko. Even named my black cat Darko at the time. 

Rewatched it a year or so ago, and still really enjoyed it. I think both Gyllenhalls are great in it, and you can see why theyve gone on to greater things, Secretary being the high point of withers careers.

Donnie Darko will always have credit in my house. It's super easy to scoff at but the whole pseudo mystical, Breakfast Club for goths vibe off it was irresistible for so many people back in the day. 

The fact that the opening ten minutes is basically just full, alternate music videos for Killing Moon and Head Over Heels is still brilliant for some reason. 

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

This is the first positive review I've seen. I'll still watch it though..

I saw it tonight. It’s fine. There are a lot of moments designed to give you nostalgia feelings, so if the originals give you those feelings, it’ll give you a lot. It feels like an Amblin film a lot of the time, and Mckenna Grace is brilliant in it.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

The French Dispatch (cinema)

It's always a simple equation with Wes Anderson. If you like his stuff, you'll like it. If you don't, you won't. I'm in the former camp and had a great time. The best segment is the first one - and @Keith Houchen will agree when he sees what Lea Seydoux's up to 😳

Last Night in Soho (cinema)

God, just go back to making comedies, Edgar. Really amazing how you can have two of the best young actors in the world (and in Anya Taylor Joy's case, maybe the best full stop) and make such a stupid, clichéd and actually pretty sexist piece of crap like this. Wright's terrible narrative feature run continues.

Chaos Walking (Prime)

Mads didn't deserve this after the year he's had otherwise. I generally really like Doug Liman but this is an awful idea executed in the most tedious and irritating way possible. Someone's going to have to tell me what Tom Holland brings to the table in any film. He's a terrible actor.

Our Ladies

Michael Caton-Jones has watched Derry Girls and completely missed the humour and warmth of it. Some good performances but otherwise unnecessarily coarse and occasionally unpleasant.

The Green Knight (Prime)

A shallow but pretty original take on Arthurian legends. Looks absolutely stunning, the cast are ace, and it's got a surprisingly good pace to it for what it is. Enjoyed it more than I expected.

Prisoners of the Ghostland

Sion Sono tries an American film and it's just as tedious and incomprehensible as his usual crap. Nicolas Cage is back to his over-excessive self and it completely wastes Sofia Boutella. Bollocks!

Tenet

Piss Nolan's shittest to date. And that's saying something.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The French Dispatch (cinema)

It's always a simple equation with Wes Anderson. If you like his stuff, you'll like it. If you don't, you won't. I'm in the former camp and had a great time. The best segment is the first one - and @Keith Houchen will agree when he sees what Lea Seydoux's up to 😳

Premier League Football GIF by KICK

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I saw it tonight. It’s fine. There are a lot of moments designed to give you nostalgia feelings, so if the originals give you those feelings, it’ll give you a lot. It feels like an Amblin film a lot of the time, and Mckenna Grace is brilliant in it.

To me that's what strikes me as so weird about this film as the original film is a fairly cynical, wiseass and deeply unsentimental film that doesn't take itself seriously. That they've made a film that's a nostalgic tribute with an Amblin vibe just feels like the complete opposite of the spirit of the original. 

• Awards Moderator
41 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

To me that's what strikes me as so weird about this film as the original film is a fairly cynical, wiseass and deeply unsentimental film that doesn't take itself seriously. That they've made a film that's a nostalgic tribute with an Amblin vibe just feels like the complete opposite of the spirit of the original. 

Yeah, it’s definitely a very different feeling film, it treats things very sincerely. The nostalgia sentiment it was going for didn’t do it for me (possibly for the reasons you say) but I can see it working completely for others.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Anyone know where I can find the whole film? 

Willie Thorne, Gary Bushell, and effects that make Rise Of The Footsoldier look like Citizen Kane. @Onyx2 maybe one to add to the list

I can't find it, even to buy on Amazon, but check out the sypnosis..

A tale of love, intrigue, crime, passion, espionage and more importantly a veritable work of art. Transcending zeitgeist to join the pantheon of the gods in eternity. Gatwick Gangsters in an Action Adventure Feature Film, shot in Surrey, London and Kent. Champagne who is crime boss 'Large' stockbroker, borrows his £100,000,000 portfolio overnight, but her account gets hacked and she loses every penny the crime boss has. Faced with a 'do or die' situation she goes on an adventure to get the money back any way she can. Faced with disgruntled gangsters and Mi6 she has to work fast, think on her feet and do plenty of 'wheeling and dealing' and in amongst all this, she foils a plot by King Jamil el Sahara to blow up Gatwick Airport. This is a fast-paced film, gritty and a fresh take on the London Gangster underworld.

Edited by bAzTNM#1