VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

7 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Thanks  I thought that was the case, I’ll have to bear that in mind in the future 

It’s been years since I was with SKY, but I’m pretty sure you would have to keep Sky Movies (or Sky Cinema or whatever it’s called now) as part of your package in order to watch anything you’ve recorded. If you were to cancel the Movies part of your package, anything that you’ve recorded will be there until the cancellation notice expires, but then not available to view without it although it should remain in your planner and become viewable again if you adds Movies back to your package in the future 

Yes you have to keep your subscription to Sky Cinema in order to watch your recordings from those movie channels, but certain titles have been deleted from the planner even if they've been recorded.   Doctor Sleep for example was deleted from the planner even though it was recorded not downloaded from On Demand.  Downloaded movies always get removed from planner on the date it expires. But now it seems Sky are starting to remove selected movies that's been recorded aswell. 

5 minutes ago, Perry said:

Yes you have to keep your subscription to Sky Cinema in order to watch your recordings from those movie channels, but certain titles have been deleted from the planner even if they've been recorded.   Doctor Sleep for example was deleted from the planner even though it was recorded not downloaded from On Demand.  Downloaded movies always get removed from planner on the date it expires. But now it seems Sky are starting to remove selected movies that's been recorded aswell. 

Interesting. I'm surprised they can do that. I'd understand based on subscription/no subscription, but I've never seen one disappear as a recording. Very strange.

5 hours ago, gmoney said:

They can't. Mab probably deleted it himself by mistake. 

Well they obviously can and did Sweep. Look it up on social media, seems a few have complained about the same thing.

Sky Cinema has it's own planner for films that you've recorded and downloaded.  Ever since they added the artwork for the films that you've recorded they have done this.  So they clearly know which films you've recorded. 

Edited by Perry

LAST NIGHT IN SOHO - Saw it last night at a preview through work. I REALLY want to like Edgar Wright as Writer/Director...but I can add this to his growing list of 'ok-ish' films. Its not as terrible as BABY DRIVER, and the 60s set bits are brilliantly done and where the film excels. Its let down for me by a not particularly good lead actor and its not particularly scary. Disappointed, as the bones of something really great are all there, and Matt Smith with Anya Taylor Joy are great together, but it seems Edgar Wright gets a lot of plaudits because he reads EMPIRE magazine and Shaun Of The Dead was brilliant.

Edited by Factotum

• Paid Members

Just saw Dune In the BFI IMAX. Incredible visual and audio experience, some scenes had a truly spectacular sense of size and scale I haven't seen before. Thought the story and characters were very dull, cold and meandering though. Can't say I'm massively bothered about seeing part 2.

Basically if you like exposition, brutalist architecture and Hans Zimmer then you'll love this. There's not that much else to it.

Jennifer's Body

BONK! 

Really fun film, with a stellar soundtrack.

But...BONK!

Commando

Still 11/10 isn't it? I still can't work out how there was never a sequel.

Night Teeth

Absolutely dreadful. A bad "horror" film set to bad The Weeknd rip off songs.

Zombieland Double Tap

Liked it despite my utter hatred of Eisenberg. The bits with Luke Wilson were really fun, and I'd watch Harrelson in anything.

Halloween 

Not a big horror fan, but this has got to be my favourite of all time. The look and atmosphere of it is just so spot on. That small town in Autumn feel, really adds to the overall greatness of the film.

• Paid Members

Night Teeth (Netflix)

Pretty style over substance but also quite charming. The cast are a lot to do with why it works, Jorge Lendeborg is a really enjoyable young actor.

Old 

More Shyamalan shite. Another great idea flushed down his bog as he fucks about with camera positions and another terrible twist ending. Vicky Krieps needs a new agent. Did you like this one, @Scott Malbranque?

Werewolves Within 

Enjoyable little horror-comedy that turns a bit too whodunnit for my liking after a while. The cast, mostly unknowns, are all great and make it work better than it might have done otherwise. Milana Vayntrub ❤️

Boys from County Hell

Dials down on the usual Irish 'eejit' comedy and works pretty well as a good spin on a vampire film. Orla from Derry Girls the predictable stand-out.

Body Melt (YouTube)

Featuring Toby Mangel as a potty-mouthed kid, Jock Stewart is an irritable cop, and Harold Bishop as a doctor who develops a supplement that makes people melt. Too much plot but some great effects and really funny in places.

The Blob (1988)

Such an under-appreciated monster movie. Came along just before Tremors sparked a revival in the genre but could easily have done it itself. The effects are fantastic for what they are. Ribbed!

When a Stranger Calls Back

Superb follow-up to the 1979 classic - made 14 years later, and for TV, but brings back Carol Kane and Charles Durning and it makes such a difference. Cracking ending, but it's all great.

Hypnotic (Netflix)

I'll watch Kate Siegel in anything and she's innocent in this but maybe she should stick to her husband's stuff. This is terrible from start to finish.

The Return of the Living Dead (Shudder)

This is still so much better than it had any right to be, for a jokey unofficial offshoot. Still more inventive than almost any other zombie film ever made, really funny and disgusting.

The Hills Have Eyes (original) (Shudder)

Always been a fan of the remake but this original is almost as good. Wes Craven was always a better director of non-slasher films like this.

• Awards Moderator

Bo Burnham’s film Eighth Grade is on iPlayer at the moment. It’s bloody good. Being that age is hard enough by itself, but in a world of social media... the film puts over how difficult that must be really, really well.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator