VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Free Guy

If I’d paid to see this in cinemas I’d have been immensely disappointed (wasn’t it meant to have been a Netflix release last year?) but as I watched it on Disney+ I was only very disappointed.

The first 15 minutes feel like a strange hybrid of The Lego Movie and They Live and it swung & missed on both accounts. Your also given very little reason to care about any of the lead characters.

A couple of funny background jokes early on and some minor chuckles towards the end, but you’d be better watching or doing pretty much anything else with your time

No it was always meant as a big release for Fox so streaming, even to Disney+ wasn’t an option. I don’t disagree with your review, though I think Jodie Comer was her usual excellent laugh and I’m a sucker for Wattiki as well. But do you think it’s biggest fail was Ryan Reynolds doing his hilarious acting routine? He was my least favourite part of the film by far.

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

No it was always meant as a big release for Fox so streaming, even to Disney+ wasn’t an option. I don’t disagree with your review, though I think Jodie Comer was her usual excellent laugh and I’m a sucker for Wattiki as well. But do you think it’s biggest fail was Ryan Reynolds doing his hilarious acting routine? He was my least favourite part of the film by far.

I’ve never seen anything of Jodie Comer before. I know she’s highly regarded from her time on Killing Eve, but I found her character here massively unlikable. 
Taika Waititi  seemed to go a bit late-career Jim Carrey* in this. I don’t know how much of what ended up in the film was what was written and how much was him improvising, but a lot of his stuff fell flat for me.

Reynolds was definitely phoning it in, probably just doing it for the payday until they sort out whatever they’re doing with Deadpool 3. The more I think about it the more I realise how much I actually hated it.

* I’m aware that he isn’t a popular choice on here and a lot of people cant stand him, but he’s the only example I can think of

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Free Guy was great and Jodie Comer is one of the best people on the planet. Ryan Reynolds stood aside in this to let her lead it, there's no ego with the guy whether you like his stuff or not. He mostly does shit films even before you count the Marvel bollocks but he's a good lad and he does right by Villanelle in this.

9 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I saw her in an old episode of Silent Witness last week. She even got her baps outs. She was playing a corpse and was having an autopsy performed on her, but still… 

I’ll let Thunderplex know. 

• Paid Members

Free Guy is absolute shite and the film was so constantly loud that I couldn't even sneak in a cheeky nap during it. Jodie Comer was fine though and the only thing in it that didn't make me despair for the dreadful state of modern big budget Hollywood action/adventure movies. 

I watched the new Candyman today. It's not very good, not scary and lacks all the amazing subtlety, mood, cleverness and atmosphere of the wonderful original. However it's intentions were good so I can't say I hated it. I liked the last 2-3 minutes of it quite a bit.

Edited by LaGoosh

Watched Many Saitns of Newark. I have mixed feelings about it, some of the portrayals of characters' younger selves was a little bit silly, and I felt that while there wasn't much wrong with it, the content didnt make it a great film in its own right. I think it's one of them films that could've used an extra hour to flesh things out.

I think another film with Gandolfinis son as the lead character has potential to be interesting.

Angel (1984)

Abandoned by her parents, Molly goes to school by day but moonlights as a prostitute on Hollywood Boulevard by night, however soon becomes the target of a vicious killer. Surprisingly sweet film, if a bit exploitative, featuring an eccentric cast of characters. A strong 7 out of 10.

Mississippi Burning (1988)

After three Civil Rights activists go missing in the heart of KKK country, the FBI are called in to investigate but are met with hostility and contempt. Upsetting in places, moreso on discovering this was loosely based on real events. Brilliant, must watch film. Gene Hackman and Frances McDormand are amazing.  

Intrusion (2021)

A married couple’s newly built home is targeted by intruders, but when the wife discovers a local girl is missing she starts to wonder if there is more to the targeting than first thought. Watchable Netflix mystery thriller. Not a world beater, but not a stinker either.

Unsane (2018) (All 4)

A woman believes she is being stalked and ends up getting involuntarily sectioned to a mental institution. Is she or is it all in her head? The synopsis on All 4 made this sound an awful lot better than it is. Don’t waste your time. Ludicrous.

Suddenly (1954) (YouTube)

The President of the United States is due to stop off in the quiet town of Suddenly, however the FBI have been given the word that there is going to be an attempt on his life. I never knew what a fine actor Frank Sinatra was. A little cracker of a film and an eerie foreshadowing of the Kennedy assassination.

Beckett (2021)

Whilst holidaying in Greece, a U.S. tourist accidentally kills his girlfriend in a car accident but at the same time stumbles on seeing something he shouldn’t have and becomes the target of a manhunt. Started so promising but a certain thing being involved was one step to far for me.

Straightheads (2007) (All 4)

A couple are viciously attacked one night by a gang of men. When the woman spots one of the gang months later, she becomes intent on getting her revenge. Gillian Anderson is excellent although not so sure on her and Danny Dyer as a couple. Brutal revenge thriller that does what it says on the tin.

Do the Right Thing (1989)

Racial tensions boil over in a small Brooklyn neighbourhood. Awesome musical opening, highly powerful, shocking finale and in between you’re drawn into the neighbourhood as you get to know everyone who resides there. Great film and Danny Aiello is exceptional.

Mean Johnny Barrows (1976) (YouTube)

Dishonourably discharged from the military, Johnny Barrows (eventually) takes a job working as a Hitman for an Italian mob family. Terribly paced with too much time spent watching the down-on-his-luck Barrows just walk the streets to some funky sounds. Fight scenes are comically bad. Poor.

Rise of the Footsoldiers: Origins (2021)

The story of Tony Tucker, who on returning from the Falklands goes on to become a major player in the Essex underworld. It’s not winning any awards but if you like geezers, violence, drugs and lots of bad language you’ll like this. The 50-year old Terry Stone playing 20-something Tony Tucker is a sight for sure!

Edited by Magnum Milano

• Paid Members

The Many Saints Of Newark - Not good. It has about an entire season of TV's story in a two hour movie and not a single one of the many, many, many stories in it are fleshed out enough or have real, satisfying conclusions. If you've never watched The Sopranos this would be the strangest movie to watch ever. The actor playing Dickie Moltisanti is insanely bland and dull. Michael Gandolfini and Vera Farmiga are excellent as Tony and Livia, the rest of the cast playing series characters are cringe. Silvio Dante in particular is full on parody. I enjoyed some of the callbacks and easter eggs but overall this feels like a potentially good miniseries condensed into a bad movie.

The Many Saints Of Newark - Saw it for the second time today. Yes its messy at time and has its flaws, but watching it a second time I felt it hit a lot better. Probably as all the reveals happened so you can live with the film a lot more. Michael Gandolfini is superb in it and I would definitely watch him play Tony again. The scenes with him and Livia are great. Ray Liota should have been a bigger star man. He's fucking mesmerising when on the screen. Can we go back and tell him to take better stuff?

All in all, I think the people who didn't like it will get more out of it a second time. Personally like how it now informs how I rewatch The Sopranos.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:05 PM, TheBurningRed said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Silvio is supposed to be around Tony’s age. Because Ralph told Jackie Jr that he was meant to go with Tony, Jackie Sr and Silvio to take down Feechs card game as they were a young crew together. The robbery that got those 3 made. David Chase forgot his own stuff possibly. 

Spoiler

Depends on how old you think Silvio is in the film. He was always older than Tony, so if we say 5-6 years? That's not that much as Tony gets older.

10 hours ago, SuperBacon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So by that logic Sil went bald at around 15????

Spoiler

Happens. I think also David Chase is very keen to stress that everyone is basically a liar. Who knows how old Sil is, or if the card game robbery went down like it did and who was there. Maybe its me doing mental gymnastics with it, but i thought making Tony's crew older actually worked with the whole 'boy king' theme that essentially happens in the show. I do agree though the performance was off putting especially when say compared with the younger Paulie who was subtle with it but wasn't doing a full on impression

16 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Rise of the Footsoldiers: Origins (2021)

The story of Tony Tucker, who on returning from the Falklands goes on to become a major player in the Essex underworld. It’s not winning any awards but if you like geezers, violence, drugs and lots of bad language you’ll like this. The 50-year old Terry Stone playing 20-something Tony Tucker is a sight for sure!

I forgot that this was released this week.  I'm surprised it took so long for Vinnie Jones to join the cast in the Footsoldier films