VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, waters44 said:

I watched Akira yesterday and I kind of feel like I was transported to another dimension - I can’t describe it, I just got lost in it.
I couldn’t really tell you much about the plot as I was just in awe of every frame. You could pause it at any point and spend an age admiring all the detail.  There was one very short sequence, a few seconds, where a helicopter was landing on a helipad. Any other animation would just have a helicopter landing on a helipad and move to the next scene. But this film shows the helicopter landing, with something going on in the background, and a chap with bright lights in his hands directing the helicopter during its landing. So much detail for a few second shot that’s not important to the plot or anything.

So yeah I’m a bit in shock to be honest and I need to watch it again ASAP. It’s my first foray into anime, is there anything else I should try? I see the same Director made something called Memories is that any good?

I saw Akira in the BFI IMAX last year and it was the most amazingly overwhelming experience I've ever had in a cinema. The whole theatre shaking from the intense drumming in the main theme was truly awesome. 

Personally I think anime has probably the worst good to bad ratio of any genre of film. Thousands of films but very few good ones. Akira is my favourite.

Watched The Lost Boys for the first time ever yesterday. Was alright, different to what I was expecting and didn't think there'd be that Goonies vibe where they're trying to fight off the vampires.

I then watched The Frighteners, a film that the VHS box art scared the crap out of me for years in the video shop as a kid. If it had had Michael J Fox on the cover and was more obviously a horror comedy we'd have probably rented it in a heartbeat. Some of the effects haven't aged well but I thought it was good fun.

TANGERINE (2014) - Amazon Prime

I had seen The Florida Project and really enjoyed it, but for some reason despite having heard about it, I had never seen Baker's previous film TANGERINE. Holy shit that's a good film. Two tremendous lead performances, and funny throughout. Its also incredibly sweet despite the subject matter which in worse hands would have gone for GRITTY GRITTY GRITTY over the humour.

PALM SPRINGS

Late to this one as well, and I assume its been discussed elsewhere, but I really loved it as a film. Andy Samberg and Cristin Miloti should do more together as their chemistry is great. Samberg really knows good stuff to produce it seems as tonally it felt very similar to BRIGSBY BEAR which I also enjoyed and he was backing.

Watched a few more Hitchcock movies (think I'm upto six) and To Catch a Thief is the first one that I wouldn't actively recommend.  Frenzy on the other hand is excellent!

The 39 Steps (1935)

Wrongly wanted for a murder he didn’t commit, Richard Hannay goes on the run from the police and the killers of the spy who he was trying to help. Robert Donat as Hannay is outstanding. The political speech scene is incredible and the ending is top draw, pulling everything together. Genius stuff! Also was nice to see John Laurie in something from before his Dad's Army days.

To Catch a Thief (1955) (BBC iPlayer)

Following a spate of thefts, a retired jewel thief is forced to catch the imposter himself to prove he hasn’t returned to his former ways. Only gets going about 70 minutes in and more a love story than anything. The first Hitchcock film I wouldn’t recommend. The French Riviera setting is stunning.

Frenzy (1972)

A serial killer is on the loose in London, raping and then murdering the women with his neck tie. Everything about this is first rate. Top level script, storytelling, performances, plenty of suspense, even throwing in a bit of comedy. I was yelling at Babs not to go back with ___! Excellent film.

Edited by Magnum Milano

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

Watched a few more Hitchcock movies (think I'm upto six) and To Catch a Thief is the first one that I wouldn't actively recommend.  Frenzy on the other hand is excellent!

The 39 Steps (1935)

Wrongly wanted for a murder he didn’t commit, Richard Hannay goes on the run from the police and the killers of the spy who he was trying to help. Robert Donat as Hannay is outstanding. The political speech scene is incredible and the ending is top draw, pulling everything together. Genius stuff! Also was nice to see John Laurie in something from before his Dad's Army days.

To Catch a Thief (1955) (BBC iPlayer)

Following a spate of thefts, a retired jewel thief is forced to catch the imposter himself to prove he hasn’t returned to his former ways. Only gets going about 70 minutes in and more a love story than anything. The first Hitchcock film I wouldn’t recommend. The French Riviera setting is stunning.

Frenzy (1972)

A serial killer is on the loose in London, raping and then murdering the women with his neck tie. Everything about this is first rate. Top level script, storytelling, performances, plenty of suspense, even throwing in a bit of comedy. I was yelling at Babs not to go back with ___! Excellent film.

Completely agree with all this. To Catch a Thief is such a waste of a great cast and setting. Frenzy still remains ridiculously under-appreciated to this day, and The 39 Steps was the template film for so many 'on the run' action films even to this day.

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Completely agree with all this. To Catch a Thief is such a waste of a great cast and setting. Frenzy still remains ridiculously under-appreciated to this day, and The 39 Steps was the template film for so many 'on the run' action films even to this day.

Frenzy was supposedly born from another film Hitchcock wanted to make in the late 60's called Kaleidoscope. He had seen what Antonioni did with Blow-Up and wanted a more free-style avant-garde style of shooting for his next film. He envisioned an idea where an American bodybuilder would lose control and strangle women whenever he got close to large amounts of water. They shot an hours worth of footage, then showed it to Universal Pictures. They baulked at the idea because it was just relentless nudity and gratuitous violence.

BBC piece on it here: https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20180620-why-hitchcocks-kaleidoscope-was-too-shocking-to-be-made

• Paid Members

The Browning Version (1951) (Talking Pictures TV)

Mike Figgis did a version of Terence Rattigan's play in 1994 and there's nothing to choose between them both - they're both absolutely immaculate adaptations. Watch them both, even though they're roughly the same, to see two of Britain's greatest ever screen actors (Michael Redgrave and Albert Finney) playing one of the best written characters in theatrical history.

The Foreman Went to France (TPTV)

Early Ealing wartime propaganda comedy that has enough serious parts to work as a really decent war film. Tommy Trinder is a lot to take but even he has his moments, and this was largely a bit of a gem.

Dynamite Joe (Great! Movies)

Obscure comedy spaghetti western with the bloke who played Felix Leiter in Thunderball (Rik Van Nutter!) in the lead. Lots of decent explosions, but nothing else to recommend this for.

A Chinese Ghost Story 1 & 2 (Prime)

The second one has too much story but both peak at their lunatic endings, with some bloody wonderful action scenes and a whole mish-mash of inventive nonsense going on. I'll watch the third one this weekend.

The Adventurers (TPTV)

Bit like a British-made The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Not as good, obviously, but I'm for any film that makes British colonialism look bad and gives Jack Hawkins a villain role. Not bad.

Once a Jolly Swagman (TPTV)

The only film about speedway I can think of. Takes itself a bit too seriously but it avoids a lot of the usual sport film clichés. Sid James playing a serious role showed what a genuinely good actor he was too. Worth seeing.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

The Dark Knight

Once you realise that The Joker sounds exactly the same as Dwight from the Office, you can't un-hear it.

when I saw it in the cinema, I spent the first half of the movie thinking "he's doing a voice. What voice is he doing?", then the second half going "...is he doing Tom Waits? No, he can't be. But he is. But why would he be doing Tom Waits?". I mentioned it after the film ended and everyone thought I was mental. Years later, a Tom Waits interview from Australian TV started circulating online with people saying, "is this the interview that inspired Ledger's Joker?", so I felt somewhat redeemed at last.

Now I just need to get everyone on board with "the Bane voice is just Frankie Howerd through a vocoder".