VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

One of those films where, after you’ve seen it, a whole bunch of Simpsons jokes make a lot more sense

It's the last act nearly scene for scene of homer the vigilante. Some of the scenes were pretty much shot for shot and of course they spooned in Phil Silvers too. 

I loved Mad mad mad mad world, and remember being excited for rat race as a sort of remake before being sadly let down. 

Vacation Friends

An absolute piece of shit only saved by John Cena, Meredith Hagner and a few decent snippets on the soundtrack.

Four fucking writers came up with this, and it's just abysmal. Cena is brilliant though, genuinely hilarious at times. Never realised how much he looks like Diedrich Bader from The Drew Carey Show though. Scary.

He's All That

Don't do it to yourselves. Laney and Zack didn't die for this.

Office Space

No idea why I haven't ever seen this, as I loved it. Milton killed me every scene he was in. Scarface, Geto Boys, Canibus, Slum Village and Ice Cube on the soundtrack? Phwoar. 10/10 

• Paid Members

Reminiscence (cinema)

I quite enjoyed this while also recognising that it's not very good. Probably just happy to see something without animated animals in it at the cinema for the first time in what has felt like years. Hugh Jackman is extremely not good but Rebecca Ferguson is asked to do many leg shots and there's a great shootout in a bar. A good idea mostly wasted.

Fitzcarraldo (Prime)

Stupidly the first Herzog / Kinski I've seen. One of those films where the story behind it is even more interesting than the film itself, but the film itself is pretty great. That final third is still one of the most unbelievable spectacles ever put on film.

Synecdoche, New York

Absolute shite. Charlie Kaufman hasn't done a thing I've liked aside from Eternal Sunshine and that was probably all Michel Gondry. Just maudlin, self-indulgent and obsessively weird tedium. Oh boo hoo my life's shit I've only got fucking Hope Davis, Emily Watson, Catherine Keener and Michelle Williams hanging off my knob. Fuck off. Tom Noonan innocent.

Adaptation. (Netflix)

I hoped Spike Jonze might be able to sort this Kaufman script into something decent. He doesn't. Probably not helped by the fact that Kaufman writes himself into it. Twice. No more Kaufman.

Rachel Getting Married

I love these dramas where a family gathering starts with subtle tension and then everything goes to shit. Even though none of them can measure up to Festen, but what can? This is superb though and Anne Hathaway is great in the lead. Absolutely lands the ending, too, which is always a bonus. Jonathan Demme was such a cracking director, lads.

The Trial

Orson Welles does Kafka. I don't know anything about Kafka and I don't want to after this.

Midnight Cowboy

One of those films with such an enormous reputation that it will feel like you've watched it. The greatness of this is that it's way more affecting and sad and great than the clips that everyone knows would lead you to believe. I bet Jon Voight hates the fact the fact that he ever made it. Good.

Gladiator (Netflix)

The usual mediocre Ridley Scott fare. Not a moment of originality or unpredictable in the entire thing, and the fight scenes are shit. Ollie Reed saves it, bless him.

The Devil Wears Prada (Film 4)

Wisely steers just about clear of letting Meryl Streep do too much of her acting all over it in favour of a really good female empowerment comedy with Stanley Tucci doing some typically great support. Really liked it.

Man of the West

Probably the best of Anthony Mann's westerns and curiously it's the one that doesn't have James Stewart in it. Relentlessly bleak and violent, and a terrific bridge between traditional Hollywood westerns and the on-coming revisionist period. One of the greatest westerns of the 50s.

I Married a Witch

I really don't see the problem when said witch is Veronica Lake. She's hilarious to go with being absolutely beautiful and charming in this, and it's over and done with in 77 minutes. Perfect!

The Devil and Miss Jones (Talking Pictures TV)

Bizarrely pro-union 1940s comedy, even more bizarre considering that admitted white supremacist Charles Coburn is in it. Jean Arthur throws herself across a desk, in the main highlight. Very funny indeed - Jean Arthur was wonderful.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:Gladiator (Netflix)

The usual mediocre Ridley Scott fare. Not a moment of originality or unpredictable in the entire thing, and the fight scenes are shit. Ollie Reed saves it, bless him.

Liked because I agree, but also in the hope we get a spin off thread Apparently "great" films that are fucking dire.

The Green Knight

I really enjoyed it. A very simple premise, a Knight on a quest which quickly turns in to some trippy dream like arty farty stuff which is pretty fitting for the source material. Nice to see some St Winfred representation, the toilets by her well round here are a haven for buggery and scat though.

8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Liked because I agree, but also in the hope we get a spin off thread Apparently "great" films that are fucking dire.

Thought for years that I was the only person that fucking hated Gladiator.

Only times I've been more bored in the cinema were Batman Vs. Superman and the third Matrix. 

• Paid Members

I wouldn't say I hated Gladiator but if you've seen one swords and sandals film you've seen pretty much all of them. The only one I've ever really liked is Spartacus and even that's a lesser Kubrick.

• Paid Members

I'm going to sound a right Michael Owen but I've never seen Gladiator or Spartacus. 

I remember people saying what an amazing film Gladiator is back in the early 2000s but I just never bothered to watch it. 

As silly as it sounds I think it's being Roman setting rather than Greek adds a "meh", I also don't like Russell Crowe. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

I'm going to sound a right Michael Owen but I've never seen Gladiator or Spartacus. 

I remember people saying what an amazing film Gladiator is back in the early 2000s but I just never bothered to watch it. 

As silly as it sounds I think it's being Roman setting rather than Greek adds a "meh", I also don't like Russell Crowe. 

Me too for pretty much the same reason.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I'm not in favour of this because there are quite a lot of Arsenal fans on here and they all have dreadful taste that extends beyond football.