VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
On 8/29/2021 at 12:45 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

Fitzcarraldo (Prime)

Stupidly the first Herzog / Kinski I've seen. One of those films where the story behind it is even more interesting than the film itself, but the film itself is pretty great. That final third is still one of the most unbelievable spectacles ever put on film.

You should see some of the documentaries about this film Herzog did. "My Best Fiend" being one. Jason Robards (pulled out due to food poisoning) and Mick "f'ing" Jagger were supposed to be the two main actors. Some of their stuff was filmed already. Had to start all over again.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

You should see some of the documentaries about this film Herzog did. "My Best Fiend" being one. Jason Robards (pulled out due to food poisoning) and Mick "f'ing" Jagger were supposed to be the two main actors. Some of their stuff was filmed already. Had to start all over again.

Yeah, his documentary work is arguably even more important than his narrative features. Can't wait to see the documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo.

• Paid Members

Free Guy

I kind of respect that a modern big budget movie would be so out there and weird, but overall this film is pretty terrible. Ryan Reynolds does his typical unfunny schtick, the plot is mad but essentially makes no sense whatsoever and the HUGE STAKES that drive the film along fall completely apart if you actually think about them for longer than two seconds. Also weirdly steals big moments from loads of other huge movies like The Truman Show and The Matrix. I'm pretty sure the makers have never played computer games in their lives as this leans so heavily into all the most obvious stereotypes that it borders into complete self parody. Action packed but in that modern action style where it's really fucking dull to watch despite how much crap they throw on screen. If you absolutely have to watch it, just watch it when you're on an airplane going on holiday at 4am or something. That's all it deserves. 

Also, fuck Ryan Reynolds.

Edited by LaGoosh

On 8/28/2021 at 10:16 PM, SuperBacon said:

He's All That

Don't do it to yourselves. Laney and Zack didn't die for this.

I did it to myself. It’s standard 2 star fare. Suffers by not looking like a film, using influencers instead of actors and being what a 50 year old man thinks modern kids are like. None of the charm of the original which was pretty shit anyway but far better than this. A really random f bomb gets dropped too. Pretty sure the film isn’t aimed at me to be fair. Where was Freddie Prince jr like?

Edited by Mr_Danger

41 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I did it to myself. It’s standard 2 star fare. Suffers by not looking like a film, using influencers instead of actors and being what a 50 year old man thinks modern kids are like. None of the charm of the original which was pretty shit anyway but far better than this. A really random f bomb gets dropped too. Pretty sure the film isn’t aimed at me to be fair. Where was Freddie Prince jr like?

Spoiler

Rachel Leigh Cook though....phwoar

24 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Rachel Leigh Cook though....phwoar

Don’t think you need to spoiler tag that, she’s in the trailer and the first scene! Just been reading that she plays a new character which is very confusing.

Tanner Buchanan is a ripped little fucker, got 90’s Andre abs.

• Paid Members
On 8/30/2021 at 7:59 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

Can't wait to see the documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo.

Fitzcarraldo is one of my all-time favourite films, and I think Burden of Dreams (the making of) is better. That's how good it is. Just peak Herzog. I could happily do a double bill of Burden of Dreams and the one about Richard Stanley's Island Of Dr. Moreau every week for the rest of my life.

Last night I watched The Platform on Netflix - it's a Spanish film, about a prison that's on multiple levels. A platform stocked with food starts at the top, and works its way down, so the higher up you are, the more food you get, and everyone below just gets leftovers if anything at all. It looks at how different people deal with it, leaves a lot of open questions, and there's some pretty obvious allegories for capitalism, for religion, for the need for collective action, but also for how well-meaning reform can easily lose its way out of a desire for ideological purity. It's relentlessly bleak, and I don't think I'll ever watch it again, but I'm glad I saw it.

On 8/27/2021 at 5:30 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Sounds really interesting. Newley passed me by, but after an enthusiastic Lenny Beige was going on about him, I’ve been checking out some of his musical work. Is this streaming anywhere? Also, I’d never heard of this film until today, but I guess Edgar Wright is a fan as it’s part of a series he’s putting on

Newley is one of those entertainers you just don't get anymore. Charming as hell on chat shows as well.

I picked it up on DVD but its available to rent on Amazon I believe. Not surprised Wright has included in that as its a definitive soho film.

I don't think I'd ever seen all the Police Academy movies before so rectified that over the past week or so.  Also watched Detour last night (it's up on YouTube) after @Devon Malcolm's recommendation in the Good Films on TV thread.

Escape Room (2019)

Six strangers are invited to an Escape Room with the promise of a $10,000 prize for the winner. Think Saw meets the Running Man. The plot is ridiculously outlandish with a terrible ending that is there clearly just to set up a sequel. Despite that and the suspect pacing, a very easy watch.

Bloodbath at the House of Death (1984) (YouTube)

Six scientists head to Headstone Manor, the site of a massacre where 18 people were killed years earlier, to investigate. Got suckered in by the title. Horror spoof with jokes that rely mainly on smut and innuendo. Written by Barry Cryer and features a who's who of 80s TV mainstays (Kenny Everett, Pamela Stephenson, Gareth Hunt, Don Warrington). Imaginative kills towards the end are the only thing it’s got going for it. Not good.

The Old Man & The Gun (2018) (All 4)

Based on the true story of career criminal Forrest Tucker, who was still committing bank robberies well into his seventies. Quite repetitive (man walks into a bank and holds it up) and with lulls and slow points along the way. Watchable, due to the charm of Redford, nothing more.

Police Academy (1984)

A newly elected Mayoress announces that she is changing the hiring practices of the city’s police force; enter a rag bag assortment of new recruits. Second half of this is very funny, still it’s of its time with the stereotypes and racism.

Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (1985)

Our new recruits are tasked with turning around a precinct that has been overtaken by a local gang, who are probably the least intimidating gang you’ll ever see on film! I found the shower scene amusing, but that was about it. Not sure how they managed to drag out another five films. Poor.

Police Academy 3: Back in Training (1986)

The original graduates return to help out Commandant Lassard as the State can no longer afford to run two Police Academies and one of them is to be shut down. There are storyline holes galore and it’s almost like you have to forget the previous movies existed (How is Mauser now running an Academy? How can the State no longer afford to run two Academies yet they can pull Mahoney, Hightower et al from duties and make them instructors for 12 weeks at Lassards? Where is Tackleberry's wife?). Even worse than the last one!

Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol (1987)

Commandant Lassard has a new initiative, train civilian volunteers to help with his understaffed police force. If I was six I would find this funny, but as I am not, I didn’t. Everything is so repetitive by now that you even know when they’re going to the Blue Oyster Bar. At least Harris is back.

Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach (1988)

Lassard has reached mandatory retirement age so heads to Miami with the gang where he is to be recognized as Police Officer of the Decade, only to accidentally get caught up with some jewel thieves. I laughed more at this film than the previous three combined. George Gaynes shines here. The first movie without Steve Guttenberg.

Police Academy 6: City Under Siege (1989)

There’s a crime wave going on in Wilson Heights, so the Governor sends in a “special team” to help get things back under control. Looks like Nick Lassard is a full-time replacement for Mahoney. Same old, same old, right down to Jones doing his Bruce Lee badly-dubbed-voice shtick...again.

Police Academy 7: Mission to Moscow (1994)

The Russians call on Lassard (he never retired!) and his team to help deal with a megalomaniac Mafia boss. Only Jones and Tackleberry now remain from the original recruits. Nick Lassard has also disappeared and sadly Callahan has aged a fair bit in the years between the previous movie and this. With the exception of 5, each film has gotten progressively worse and this is the worst of the lot. Desperate.

Detour (1945) (YouTube)

Looking to hitchhike from New York to Los Angeles, Al Roberts accepts a ride that sets off an unfortunate and unexpected chain of events. Ann Savage is terrifying as Vera and my jaw dropped when she plays her hand. Great movie that was apparently filmed on a shoestring budget.

Edited by Magnum Milano

Free Guy. It was alright, I guess. Nowhere near as funny as I thought it would be and is saved by Lil Rel Howery being one of my favourite humans. Saw it in the cinema and a lot of the jokes didn't land which led to some awkward silences but one particular scene with Channing Tatum felt like it sucked all the air out of the room.

Vacation Friends. More Lil Rel Howery being great but Cena fucking steals this. Genuinely enjoyed this, won't rush to rewatch it but it's the sort of thing I could chuck on again if I was stuck for a film to watch.

Reminiscence. More like Reminishit.

31 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

I don't think I'd ever seen all the Police Academy movies before so rectified that over the past week or so.  Also watched Detour last night (it's up on YouTube) after @Devon Malcolm's recommendation in the Good Films on TV thread.

Escape Room (2019)

Six strangers are invited to an Escape Room with the promise of a $10,000 prize for the winner. Think Saw meets the Running Man. The plot is ridiculously outlandish with a terrible ending that is there clearly just to set up a sequel. Despite that and the suspect pacing, a very easy watch.

Six scientists head to Headstone Manor, the site of a massacre where 18 people were killed years earlier, to investigate. Got suckered in by the title. Horror spoof with jokes that rely mainly on smut and innuendo. Written by Barry Cryer and features a who's who of 80s TV mainstays (Kenny Everett, Pamela Stephenson, Gareth Hunt, Don Warrington). Imaginative kills towards the end are the only thing it’s got going for it. Not good.

The Old Man & The Gun (2018) (All 4)

Based on the true story of career criminal Forrest Tucker, who was still committing bank robberies well into his seventies. Quite repetitive (man walks into a bank and holds it up) and with lulls and slow points along the way. Watchable, due to the charm of Redford, nothing more.

Police Academy (1984)

A newly elected Mayoress announces that she is changing the hiring practices of the city’s police force; enter a rag bag assortment of new recruits. Second half of this is very funny, still it’s of its time with the stereotypes and racism.

Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (1985)

Our new recruits are tasked with turning around a precinct that has been overtaken by a local gang, who are probably the least intimidating gang you’ll ever see on film! I found the shower scene amusing, but that was about it. Not sure how they managed to drag out another five films. Poor.

Police Academy 3: Back in Training (1986)

The original graduates return to help out Commandant Lassard as the State can no longer afford to run two Police Academies and one of them is to be shut down. There are storyline holes galore and it’s almost like you have to forget the previous movies existed (How is Mauser now running an Academy? How can the State no longer afford to run two Academies yet they can pull Mahoney, Hightower et al from duties and make them instructors for 12 weeks at Lassards? Where is Tackleberry's wife?). Even worse than the last one!

Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol (1987)

Commandant Lassard has a new initiative, train civilian volunteers to help with his understaffed police force. If I was six I would find this funny, but as I am not, I didn’t. Everything is so repetitive by now that you even know when they’re going to the Blue Oyster Bar. At least Harris is back.

Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach (1988)

Lassard has reached mandatory retirement age so heads to Miami with the gang where he is to be recognized as Police Officer of the Decade, only to accidentally get caught up with some jewel thieves. I laughed more at this film than the previous three combined. George Gaynes shines here. The first movie without Steve Guttenberg.

Police Academy 6: City Under Siege (1989)

There’s a crime wave going on in Wilson Heights, so the Governor sends in a “special team” to help get things back under control. Looks like Nick Lassard is a full-time replacement for Mahoney. Same old, same old, right down to Jones doing his Bruce Lee badly-dubbed-voice shtick...again.

Police Academy 7: Mission to Moscow (1994)

The Russians call on Lassard (he never retired!) and his team to help deal with a megalomaniac Mafia boss. Only Jones and Tackleberry now remain from the original recruits. Nick Lassard has also disappeared and sadly Callahan has aged a fair bit in the years between the previous movie and this. With the exception of 5, each film has gotten progressively worse and this is the worst of the lot. Desperate.

Detour (1945) (YouTube)

Looking to hitchhike from New York to Los Angeles, Al Roberts accepts a ride that sets off an unfortunate and unexpected chain of events. Ann Savage is terrifying as Vera and my jaw dropped when she plays her hand. Great movie that was apparently filmed on a shoestring budget.

I won the Police Academy Box Set in a competition a few years ago and went through them all in short shrift having not seen them for aeons. 

There's some discussion on The Blue Oyster, being a 'positive' Leather Man /Bear representation during the midsts of the Aids crisis, and was one of the first films to do so without Aids being mentioned and showing the bar to be a relatively happy, normal place for those in attendance. 

Ditto with Proctor being effectively openly Bi.  Knows the Blue Oyster, but also has sex with prostitutes. 

It's either on the Director's interviews on the Special Editions or one of the recent LGBT documentaries on Netflix. 

Thought it was an interesting side note to a film series chocked full of negative stereotypes and racism. 

Police Academy Order: 3,4,1,5,6,2,7

1 hour ago, Magnum Milano said:

Great visual joke in it where someone hears a creak and ominous cello music ramps up. 

El Bimbo, aka the Blue Oyster music was my ringtone for ages years ago. Had to rip it from YouTube though as can’t find the version used in the films anywhere!

• Paid Members

A Quiet Place Part 2 is similar to the first one in that it's very well made, looks great, has great acting and everything else except the central premise is so unbelievably stupid that how good the film is doesn't matter because the premise it's based on just doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever. The second one is even worse because it barely has a plot.