Paid Members Jesse Posted May 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 26, 2025 Scarface Went and saw this at the local cinema, my first time seeing it but De Palma's just great at this so knew I'd have a good time. Biggest surprise, given what I've picked up from pop culture, is that basically none of it is Tony living large on his success before the final downfall. Every time he gets what he wants we get a time jump and he's dissatisfied with it and wanting more again. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted May 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 26, 2025 Falling Down Michael Douglas, redundant, estranged from his family and stuck in a traffic jam in the middle of a heatwave has a mental breakdown and decides to walk home. We thought this was fantastic and unlike anything we’ve seen before. Douglas stumbles endlessly into people and scenarios we’ve all been frustrated by in every day life; grocery price hikes, missing the fast food breakfast menu by a minute, or being hassled by wrong uns on the street. He immediately loses the plot over his Coca Cola being $0.35 more expensive and it snowballs from there as we watch him riot and tirade through these situations with a sense of righteousness until he inevitably comes face to face with the police and asks “I’m the bad guy?”. It’s tense, darkly funny in places and the structure of the main guy being the bad guy and not realising it means not only do you not relate to the character but it makes you feel like you’re on the outside looking in. A fascinating film. Quote
cobra_gordo Posted May 27, 2025 Posted May 27, 2025 10 hours ago, FLips said: Falling Down It’s tense, darkly funny in places and the structure of the main guy being the bad guy and not realising it means not only do you not relate to the character but it makes you feel like you’re on the outside looking in. A fascinating film. The really interesting thing about Falling Down is how so many people managed to watch it and didn't realise he was the bad guy. Sort of like how many people missed the point of Fight Club. It's clever in that it sort of lures you in to relating to him just because we've all been frustrated by rising prices or fast food places or roadworks but he's a deranged piece of shit so you're like, oh, well I'm not as bad as THIS guy at least and then 20 minutes later you've got D-FENS telling the homophobic nazi army surplus lad that they're not the same. It's also one of, if not my favourite Robert Duvall performance. For a long time Falling Down would have been a top ten film for me but I've probably not seen it in two or three years, might be time for a rewatch. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted May 27, 2025 Members Posted May 27, 2025 Haven't seen it for years, I'm sticking it on! Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted May 27, 2025 Posted May 27, 2025 Great film, easily Joel Schumacher’s best film and probably my favourite Michael Douglas performance. As cobra said, a film who’s point is often completely missed much like the already mentioned Fight Club but the same can said of American Psycho as well. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted May 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 27, 2025 1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said: Great film, easily Joel Schumacher’s best film and probably my favourite Michael Douglas performance. As cobra said, a film who’s point is often completely missed much like the already mentioned Fight Club but the same can said of American Psycho as well. And of Wall Street Glengarry Glenn Ross Boiler Room Wolf of Wall Street Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted May 27, 2025 Posted May 27, 2025 49 minutes ago, Carbomb said: And of Wall Street Glengarry Glenn Ross Boiler Room Wolf of Wall Street I’ll take your word for it, I’ve never seen any of those films Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted May 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 27, 2025 3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said: Great film, easily Joel Schumacher’s best film Not too difficult, Joel Schumacher was rubbish. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted May 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 27, 2025 3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said: easily Joel Schumacher’s best film The Lost Boys clears everything he's done pretty easily as far as I'm concerned. What a film. Quote
Paid Members Bellenda Carlisle Posted May 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 27, 2025 I love 8mm and used to be into Lost Boys as a kid. My favourite thing about Joel Schumacher is his claim that he's fucked 20,000 men. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted May 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 27, 2025 Phonebooth is a guilty pleasure. Quote
Chili Posted May 27, 2025 Posted May 27, 2025 I really liked Phonebooth. Really need to revisit Falling Down though. The 'Born in the USA' of films. Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted May 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 27, 2025 Having only watched one or two Mission Impossible films many years ago, I just watched them all in order to see the new one at the cinema… and then my missus and mother in law booked tickets for this week when I’m at work. Cheers. Mission: Impossible Really enjoyed this. Some good tension, some terrible CGI but overall good fun. Mission: Impossible II Dreadful film imo. The last 20 minutes was alright and Tom Cruise hit Dougray Scott with a great step up enzugiri and a decent drop kick. My only positive is Thandiwe Newton and how beautiful she looked in this film. Mission: Impossible III Much better than the last installment. I wish we had more Phillip Seymour Hoffman in this. But he was great in every scene he appeared in. I think this is the film where Luther dressed like Florida Stanley. Some absolutely ridiculous but fun moments. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol My favourite one. The prison escape and Kremlin scenes are fantastic in an overall great film. Could’ve done with more Lea Seydoux for my liking. I wouldn’t have minded more Josh Holloway either. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Fun film. Doesn’t top the last one for me, but is very close. Didn’t care too much for Alec Baldwin in this. I thought he was the weakest part. Mission: Impossible - Fallout The bathroom fight, the capture of Lane and car chase that followed and the helicopter chase were all tons of fun. Loved Vanessa Kirby. A perfectly fine film other than that. Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning It was… good. A bit meh. The whole AI entity thing warbling in the background of scenes sounding like something from Stranger Things was a bit shit. Airport and train scenes were great as was the comedy in the car with Ethan and Grace. But I felt it was just a bit overly long and not as fun as previous installments. A Streetcar Named Desire My fiancée is doing a class on this next term so we stuck it on. I fell asleep after 40 minutes and woke up with about 20 minutes to go. Apparently I didn’t miss much. The hour I saw of it was alright. Marlon Brando, what a hunk he was in this. Eyes Wide Shut I’ve only ever seen three other Stanley Kubrick films (Full Metal Jacket, The Shining and A Clockwork Orange) and this was definitely the weaker of the lot. It was alright but not a film I’d rewatch again. Unlike the other Kubrick films I’ve watched and loved. The mansion and the sex cult people in the creepy masks was the best bit for me. Rest was just alright. Would like to know the total Bill spent on that 24 hours he spent wandering around town. Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted May 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 27, 2025 46 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said: I wish we had more Phillip Seymour Hoffman A fine statement by itself. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted May 28, 2025 Posted May 28, 2025 Pink Cadillac Clint Eastwood plays a skip tracer sent to track down the wife of a piece of shit white nationalist who has fled their home after she was mistakenly arrested for something he was caught up in. It's an action comedy that's not really very funny and just sort of ambles along for its two-hour runtime. It's also quite jarring seeing almost 60-year-old Clint, jacked up like '05 Eddie Guerrero, romancing Bernadette Peters, who is almost twenty years his junior (but looks younger). A few decent lines and some great songs on the soundtrack but not much else to enjoy, sadly. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.