Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Decided out of the blue to dig around in my old DVD collection. 

Managed to find around 25 DVD's from the Tartan Asia Extreme collection, many of which I have never watched, despite having them for close to 20 years.

Hell I'd forgotten I even owned a few of them, lol. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
40 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Decided out of the blue to dig around in my old DVD collection. 

Managed to find around 25 DVD's from the Tartan Asia Extreme collection, many of which I have never watched, despite having them for close to 20 years.

Hell I'd forgotten I even owned a few of them, lol. 

I'm similar. I went on some drunken book-buying and DVD-buying sprees years ago, and still have a few that I haven't watched, like Inland Empire and Matewan.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Inland Empire

A total shelf classic, that. Me and a mate both had the DVD (bought for three quid) still wrapped and unwatched after many, many years. Never was in the mood for it.

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

A total shelf classic, that. Me and a mate both had the DVD (bought for three quid) still wrapped and unwatched after many, many years. Never was in the mood for it.

I know it's not a sequel to Mulholland Drive really, but I think the main reason I haven't watched it is because so many people have talked about it like it is, and I don't want to risk it.

Bloody ADHD choice paralysis.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Got through 6 films on my last four night shifts.

Scarface

Seen it many times before. Great cast, great soundtrack. The rise and downfall of Tony Montana. The swearing and violence is overdone but doesn’t take away my enjoyment of the film. More sentimental to me as it’s my dads favourite film and I watched it for the first time with him.

Falling Down

Have seen it a few times before but after talk about it on here, I had have a rewatch. A fantastic film. I don’t blame him for getting the arse about the breakfast issue. I’ve been there before when already in a bad mood. Didn’t have an Uzi on me though. 

Gangs of New York

First watch. I read DiCaprio’s accent got slated but it wasn’t too bad. It was surely meant to be a mix of Irish and American. Cameron Diaz’s accent however… dreadful. A perfectly fine film that was made all the better by Daniel Day Lewis. But not one I’d watch again.

The Fugitive

I had never seen this before. In fact, I’d only ever seen The Simpsons parody of it. But with Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee jones and Joey Pants, what could go wrong? I absolutely loved this. I can’t believe it took me so long to watch it. I was raving about it to my fiancée the next morning and telling her we need to watch it. Is the sequel US Marshalls worth watching?

Executive Decision

Another film I saw mentioned on here that I had to give a watch. I do enjoy a plane hijack movie. Back to back Andrew Katsulas. A fun but ridiculous movie. Silly plot aside, I enjoyed it, especially the last 20 minutes as it got more tense.

Sinners

Michael B Jordan plays WW1 veteran twins Smoke and Stack in a vampire/supernatrual film set in 1932. They’re opening a juke joint for the black community that gets ruined by the arrival of Cook from Skins as a dribbling Vampire. It’s better than what I’ve made it sound. My favourite film this year. The 2 hours plus breezes past, especially when it starts to kick off properly. Bonus points for the vampires singing The Rocky Road to Dublin. 

  • Members
Posted
8 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

But with Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee jones and Joey Pants, what could go wrong?

Sorry to slightly derail but there is a scene in The Sopranos when Tony's having his sound system installed and he is watching the dam/tunnel scene and I think it cuts before Joey Pants/Ralphie appears, which I always loved.

the-sopranos-tony-soprano.gif.5d409f4b98fd11f972392da50d826425.gif

  • Paid Members
Posted
44 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Is the sequel US Marshalls worth watching?

Yes it is. It's obviously nowhere near as good, and Robert Downey Jr. is in it unfortunately, but it's a good time.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Just watched Moneyball. Given that I have next to no interest in baseball as a sport (I've watched more of it in film and TV series), it was an easy, light watch. The whole concept of sabermetrics is an interesting one, especially as it now affects more than just baseball - from what I understand, data analysis is a key part of football teams' operation now too.

Pitt's always good, as is Jonah Hill. Always good to see Philip Seymour Hoffman. Chris Pratt was decent. Robin Wright was good for her brief appearance, but she was playing Pitt's ex, so there's not so much justification to have her gorgeous mug on screen very often.

Anyway, it's a good way to spend an evening. Classic sports movie.

Edited by Carbomb
Oyvind Leonhardsen
  • Paid Members
Posted
11 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Just watched Moneyball. Given that I have next to no interest in baseball as a sport (I've watched more of it in film and TV series), it was an easy, light watch. The whole concept of sabermetrics is an interesting one, especially as it now affects more than just baseball - from what I understand, data analysis is a key part of football teams' operation now too.

Pitt's always good, as is Jonah Hill. Always good to see Philip Seymour Hoffman. Chris Pratt was decent. Robin Wright was good for her brief appearance, but she was playing Pitt's ex, so there's not so much justification to have her gorgeous mug on screen very often.

Anyway, it's a good way to spend an evening. Classic sports movie.

I watched it again last year on a flight to New York. Given I watch the same number of films a year as Michael Owen, it's odd that I've seen this one three times. It's really great. Must have been the giddiness of going to the States because I watched A League Of Their Own right after it. I hadn't seen that one before. I really loved it.

Baseball's still mind-numbing, like, but it makes for good films.

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I watched it again last year on a flight to New York. Given I watch the same number of films a year as Michael Owen, it's odd that I've seen this one three times. It's really great. Must have been the giddiness of going to the States because I watched A League Of Their Own right after it. I hadn't seen that one before. I really loved it.

Baseball's still mind-numbing, like, but it makes for good films.

I'm not really a fan of most American sports (more because of the presentation: constant saturation of advertising, and the gearing of the programming and production of it to suit advertising, than because of the sports themselves), but a well-made film on almost any sport or interest can get me hooked.

A friend of mine often takes the view that, more than the specific interest, it's the presentation of people who are great at what they do, doing what they do, that is what is of interest, and I'm inclined to agree. I've no interest at all in big-band jazz, but Whiplash was engrossing from start to finish.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I watched Inland Empire once, and never again. I can hardly remember it, and keep thinking I'm due a rewatch, but life's too short. It's about a week long and filmed on something only slightly more watchable than a Game Boy camera. When I first watched it, I remember thinking it felt like a film student trying to do David Lynch, rather than an actual David Lynch project. Maybe it will have aged surprisingly well. I doubt I will ever find out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...