VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (cinema)

Same as @Devon Malcolm, I really don't like the Shrek franchise, and had no intention of seeing it. Then I saw this tweet/clip and was sold. And really glad I went to see it. It's a lot of fun and smartly written. 

Recommend The Croods 2, it's by the same guy and I expected nothing but got a real surprise. It's a lot sillier, obviously, but also very funny and weird.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Factotum said:

I'll share the love for Puss in Boots: The Last Wish what a great film.

Saw this last week and enjoyed it. Clever of them to cast Salma Hayek Pinault as the female lead. I wasn't a fan of it going into the weird staccato visual style during the action sequences, but I get why they did it. There were some decent gags. 

• Paid Members

We Have a Ghost (Netflix)

I can tell right away that this is going to get crapped on by the critics but it really is good and a lot of fun. Reminded me of something from the 80s. Anthony Mackie's good as usual but David Harbour is a world treasure. Enjoyed this a lot.

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (cinema)

Really lovely and funny and inventive. I had my doubts it could be extended effectively to feature length but it never feels stretched and it sticks the landing beautifully, too. Really was worth the wait.

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Still enjoyable but doesn't really do much different from the first one. I'll probably watch them both again anyway.

Pump Up the Volume (ok.ru)

Christian Slater really did have a really interesting career at its peak, and he's perfect for this role and film. The technology ages it but the messages are still really strong. Thought this was great and I hope Samantha Mathis is having a good week.

Baby Ruby

Noémie Merlant popped over to America to shoot this weird psychological horror that occasionally lapses into black comedy. I enjoyed it quite a lot but I can't say, in all good conscience, that it's good.

Little Women (2019) (Netflix)

I found the films that Greta Gerwig acted in to be mostly intolerable but as a director she's had a brilliant start. This is even better than Lady Bird and even Emma Watson is really good in it. Awesome, can't wait for Barbie!

Shanghai Noon

Jackie Chan's American stuff deserves a lot more respect. It goes on a bit long but the fight scenes are excellent and there are enough laughs to keep it going during the slower parts.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

David Harbour is a world treasure

This is not movie news more Hello! magazine level gossip but I feel like I'm the only person who didn't know he and Lily Allen are a thing. And if this video is anything to go by absolutely smitten. 

Again, not really interested in the gossip just astonished I hadn't heard about it. 

• Paid Members

The Lair.  Neil Marshall directed this, so I expected an 80’s movie and that’s what I got.  Secret Russian base with a monster.  Lead actress with extremely pert boobs.  Bad acting.  Adama from Battlestar Galactica with a quite disturbing Australian/Texan accent.  Another soldier with a voice like Fenella the witch.  Bloody awful, but entertaining at the same time.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I was watching knock at the cabin and wanted to post spherical big dave in the "roundest head in the world" thread but it's closed (booo!) so you get him here instead 

Screenshot (1681).png

This thread might have suited:-

A couple of years ago, the wife and I decided to work our way through the big horror franchises. We did Halloween first of all, then Friday the 13th, and at the start of this year we finished off Nightmare on Elm Street.

We’re currently working our way through the Hellraiser franchise. I’ve seen the original and Hellbound: Hellraiser II before, but not the sequels, although I did see the reboot from last year which was alright in places. As with the other properties, each one is diminishing returns, but Hellraiser: Inferno (i.e. Hellraiser 5: Hell Goes Straight to VHS) may be one of the worst films I’ve ever seen, and that covers a lot of ground. Scott Derrickson, the director, has claimed that it “was pitched as a Hellraiser sequel, and made as such”, and definitely wasn’t a different horror film retooled to be a Hellraiser film even though it is blatantly a different horror film retooled to be a Hellraiser film, so he’s full of shit. A Hellraiser film doesn’t have its main antagonist only appear for 2 minutes, just admit you wrote a different film and some exec made you put Hellraiser elements in it.

Hellraiser: Hellseeker is up next, and that has Dean Winters in the lead, so expectations are low. Very low.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Vengeance - Black comedy/thriller about a podcaster who uses the suspicious death of a former partner for content. BJ Novak from The Office stars, writes and directs. This felt like a 90s indie throwback in the best way possible. Some heavy handed dialogue aside (a monologue at the end was really clunky) it's funny and engaging. Massively helped by a great performance from Boyd Holbrook who looks to be having loads of fun. Only 1hr 40 too. Would recommend.