VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I was going to post to say that I read a review and it looks like M Night has done the impossible and made a shit big Dave movie. Thanks for confirming! 

I’d say Stuber was pretty shit as well, but he’s had a decent career thus far

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Knock at the Cabin (cinema)

I was never going to enjoy this because I hate Shyamalan but even by his standards this is just fucking rotten. Not much actually happens and the ending is just there. We all love Big Dave, of course, and he's excellent in this but this is one of his rare duds outside of Marvel. Did you like this one @Scott Malbranque?

Shyamalan can ask my bollocks - over and over, on rinse and repeat - after that Glass and the absolute state of it, D-Mal.

Herself wants to give Knock at the Cabin a whirl, but I'm not having a bar of it, and especially after your review.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Shyamalan can ask my bollocks - over and over, on rinse and repeat - after that Glass and the absolute state of it, D-Mal.

Herself wants to give Knock at the Cabin a whirl, but I'm not having a bar of it, and especially after your review.

In fairness, it's got decent reviews but his films usually do. Didn't go anywhere interesting or surprising and I'd hav walked out if Nando's had been open yet.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chris B said:

I don't know about 'doing justice', but I thought the American Psycho film was significantly more interesting than the book.

Completely agree. The book is a pretty uninteresting and depressing read but the film is excellent and very funny.

• Paid Members

Huh. Never got the love for American Psycho. I've watched it the once and had no interest in going back and revisiting. Maybe someday I'll give it another whirl, but it wasn't up my alley really. 

5 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Completely agree. The book is a pretty uninteresting and depressing read but the film is excellent and very funny.

I'll disagree there. The book is a relentless hit I'll give you that, and the film did brilliantly to capture some of it but the whole point of that book is every little detail in laborious detail. I get someone not agreeing but I did prefer the book

Romy And Michelle’s High School Reunion. 

Hadn’t seen it in decades and couldn’t really remember it. But it’s an absolute treat. I know it wasn’t the most pertinent part of the whole sordid scenario but we were absolutely robbed of Mira Sorvino when Weinstein blacklisted her. A cracking film with two excellent leads. 

Plane. I've got a lot of time for Gerrard Butler action films and as ridiculous the premise of airline pilot becomes a badass to save the lives of his passengers who have been taken hostage on an island inhabited by mercenaries and criminals after they crash land there after the plan gets struck by lightning is, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. 

• Paid Members

Denial

I watched this a little while after it came out, and got a bit obsessed with the trial and everything surrounding it, so have read just about every account of the case and a lot of other books on similar topics - to the extent that, around the time I was doing a lot of that wider reading, a friend of mine used to delight on telling people, "yeah, Pat's been getting really into holocaust denial lately". With that in mind, my other half had never seen the film, and seeing that it was on iPlayer I figured it would be worth revisiting. It really holds up, and I still think it's an absolutely brilliant drama. Timothy Spall is utterly skincrawlingly smarmy as David Irving, and Tom Wilkinson is just incredible as Richard Rampton. All of the courtroom scenes are excellent, the only weaknesses are pretty much any attempt to make Deborah Lipstadt out to be a heroic figure, because they feel like the most obviously manufactured parts of the film, and at odds with the believability of the rest of it. 

National Treasure

Bit of a palate cleanser after the last film. We were looking through Disney+, and my girlfriend suggested this one almost as a joke, expecting me to get annoyed with it for being historically inaccurate and a stupid film. It absolutely was a stupid film, but an enjoyable romp all the same. It feels more like something that came out in the late '90s than the mid-00s, full of scenes of "hacking" that involve an incomprehensible mess of wires inside a nearby van and hackers saying "we're in!", and moody bad electronic tension music while gangs of generic thugs try and steel the McGuffin. Sean Bean's character is at one point described as having "almost infinite resources" with, as far as I can tell, absolutely no explanation as to how that came to be. The characterisation is all paper-thin, the plot is idiotic, and there are gaps of logic you could drive a Renault Scenic through, but I still enjoyed it anyway.

• Paid Members

National Treasure is a delight and is a real throwback to the sort of Sunday afternoon adventure films that Disney was churning out all the time in the 70s and 80s

The shoe horning in of historical facts is hilarious and very American and always seems like it was inserted into the script with a find and replace the day of filming to qualify for educational grant money 'these are Ben Franklin's underpants that he wore on that faithful night. These are freemason skids!' 

• Paid Members

The only thing that dates it more to the mid-00s than anything earlier is the crowbarring in of Knights Templar conspiracies, because they really seemed to go mainstream around that time, what with the Da Vinci Code and everything.

My favourite crowbarring in of a historical fact was when they're in the tower at Independence Hall, Riley asks, "what bell is this?", so Nicolas Cage can explain it. Irrelevant to the plot, and an insane thing to think a real human person would say at that precise moment. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The only thing that dates it more to the mid-00s than anything earlier is the crowbarring in of Knights Templar conspiracies, because they really seemed to go mainstream around that time, what with the Da Vinci Code and everything.

My favourite crowbarring in of a historical fact was when they're in the tower at Independence Hall, Riley asks, "what bell is this?", so Nicolas Cage can explain it. Irrelevant to the plot, and an insane thing to think a real human person would say at that precise moment. 

That and the explanation of the introduction of daylight savings times.

I 100% blame the Broken Sword games for Templar stuff going mainstream

• Paid Members
Just now, chokeout said:

That and the explanation of the introduction of daylight savings times.

I thought that was a fun, if fairly pointless, twist (I was expecting the reveal to be a more mundane "your watch is wrong because you haven't reset it since you left a different timezone"), but the fact that they are literally working to a very strict, very specific deadline yet have the time to stop and have that conversation in the first place is genius. It all feels like a '90s educational kids' series.