VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Dead Mike said:

Vengeance - Black comedy/thriller about a podcaster who uses the suspicious death of a former partner for content. BJ Novak from The Office stars, writes and directs. This felt like a 90s indie throwback in the best way possible. Some heavy handed dialogue aside (a monologue at the end was really clunky) it's funny and engaging. Massively helped by a great performance from Boyd Holbrook who looks to be having loads of fun. Only 1hr 40 too. Would recommend.

Saw this at the cinema last year, absolutely loved it. If award season meant anything, Ashton Kutcher would be getting best supporting actor nominations everywhere, he's a revelation.

• Paid Members

Watched ant man 3 and creed 3 Jonathan Majors double bill, he was the heel in both and was so different in both and was also the best thing in both, he's really good! 

Cocaine bear 

massive spoiler, don't read casually

Spoiler

Really fun and automatic 10/10 for letting the bear live at the end. 

Puss in boots was great, puss himself is really cool and has loads of character. That "favourite fearless hero" song has been in my head all day 

• Awards Moderator
14 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Watched ant man 3 and creed 3 Jonathan Majors double bill, he was the heel in both and was so different in both and was also the best thing in both, he's really good! 

Cocaine bear 

massive spoiler, don't read casually

Hide contents

Really fun and automatic 10/10 for letting the bear live at the end. 

Puss in boots was great, puss himself is really cool and has loads of character. That "favourite fearless hero" song has been in my head all day 

Spoiler

I’m glad I read that spoiler. I’d been put off watching the film because I assumed the opposite, but would happily watch it now!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

He was superb in The Harder They Fall, too, highly recommend that. Cracking western.

I’ve been on the Majors train since Lovecraft Country. The show was a bit erratic quality rise but he was great in it. He’s the only thing close to drawing me back in to that franchised universe we’re not allowed to talk about in the proper film thread.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He was superb in The Harder They Fall, too, highly recommend that. Cracking western.

Absolutely agree. Brilliant film with some great performances all round. Superb soundtrack too.

I watched Internal Affairs for the first time in about fifteen years the other night. What a fucking class film. Everyone is so good in it (Gere especially) and the tension really ramps up nicely as the film chugs along.

Not so good was The Last Victim, which I had high hopes for as it's the sort of neo-western thriller that's bang up my alley. Unfortunately, it just didn't quite come together, despite some decent performances and a few cute ideas. It's also hard to take seriously any film where Finchy from the office (with a southern American accent) is the main villain. 

Rounded out the weekend with Jackass Forever. Would have been better seeing it with my mates in a cinema, but it was not to be. I still had an absolute blast watching it at home with a couple of cans (my new real friends). Obviously, it's great to see all the old boys back and literally dicking around, but I thought the new crop fit in nicely too and I would assume the natural progression of the series was for them to eventually spinoff or at least anchor future projects. 

Knock At The Cabin. I thought the cast, in particular Big Dave, were great and it's certainly got some tense moments but overall it left me feeling flat.

Everything Everywhere All At Once. Jesus fucking Christ. Had no idea what it was about until I started watching it and hadn't even seen a trailer so I'd recommend going in blind if possible. Loved it.

Die Hart. Jesus fucking Christ. Even having Jean Reno in this couldn't save it for me. I think I laughed twice. Utter garbage.

On 3/6/2023 at 7:26 AM, SaitoRyo said:

I watched Internal Affairs for the first time in about fifteen years the other night. What a fucking class film. Everyone is so good in it (Gere especially) and the tension really ramps up nicely as the film chugs along.

Fuck yeah. Amazing Gere was basically seen as a failure during the 80s as every film crashed (AMERICAN GIGOLO aside) Then he hits this and Pretty Woman. I love Gere. They don't make them like that anymore

2 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Fuck yeah. Amazing Gere was basically seen as a failure during the 80s as every film crashed (AMERICAN GIGOLO aside) Then he hits this and Pretty Woman. I love Gere. They don't make them like that anymore

An Officer And A Gentleman was a massive success MAYO-NAAAIIIISE! 

Quite like that film as well. 

• Paid Members

Caveman

Before finding fame as the narrator for Thomas the Tank Engine, Ringo Starr appeared in a few films, including 200 Motels where he played the part of Frank Zappa, and this oddity, which seems to be some sort of homage to films like One Million Years BC, with stop motion dinosaurs and fur bikinis aplenty.

The dialogue is limited to a handful of simple grunt-like words, with the exception of a lone Korean caveman (played by Evan "Fistful of Yen" Kim), who speaks perfect English. There's a very loose plot running through it, but it's mostly just a bunch of scenarios that occur along the way to little consequence. Despite this, it's weirdly engaging, and I found myself quite concerned when Lar (a young Dennis Quaid) went missing. Props to Ringo for doing some of his own stunts too, considering he's not known for his physicality. 

The dinosaurs aren't up to Harryhausen standard, but they're merged with the live action footage pretty well.

It's clear that a lot of this relied on Ringo's natural comic nature, and it's also pretty clear why Barbara Bach caught his eye, but it really does feel like it was based on notes scribbled on the back of a beermat after a Sunday afternoon drink. It also reminded me how utterly adorable Shelley Long is.

• Paid Members
On 3/7/2023 at 2:20 PM, cobra_gordo said:

Gere as the silver fox hamming it up in The Jackal is great fun.

I always thought Gere would have been perfect casting for Ozymandias in a Watchmen film, especially in his silver fox days.