VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Tár (cinema)

Cate Blanchett's performance is as great as you've heard but Todd Field's return (In the Bedroom and Little Children are excellent films too) has far more to it than that. It could be taken the wrong way in terms of its notes on cancel culture and what-not but it's an uncompromising and bizarrely enjoyable film considering its length and lack of inaction. One of the best final shots you'll ever get, too.

Swan Song 

Excellent sci-fi drama about a dying man who agrees to be replaced by a clone. Very mature and character driven compared to what you normally get from this sort of thing. Mahershala Ali and Naomie Harris are great as ever.

White Noise (Neflix)

A classic case of a film which really needed some studio interefence or the director locked out of the editing suite. Absolutely aimless load of old piss. Goes on for fucking ever, never settles on anything for long, and wastes a really fun cast as well as making Adam Driver look bad. $100 million to you, sir!

Not Okay (Prime)

Falls into the trap that many black comedies have of getting the tone unbalanced. Zoey Deutch is amazing but it loses its balance and even the final scene can't save it.

Good Luck to You, Leo Grande (Prime)

One of the most surprisingly nice and very good films of last year. Extremely sex work-positive as a bonus but also very funny and turns on the dramatic moments just at the right time. Emma Thompson's performance deserves to be talked about for decades. Loved this.

The Bubble (Netflix)

It took *this* long for people to realise Judd Apatow is shit? It's actually not quite as bad as people have been saying and I laughed a couple of times, both times at Guz Khan. It's still quite bad and stupid and long (obviously, it's Apatow) but functioned well enough for getting to gaze at Karen Gillan for 2 hours.

Cha Cha Real Smooth

Features one of the most accurate and positive depictions of autism I've seen so far, and through an actually autistic actress. Made me quite emotional seeing that but the rest of it is a very wholesome romantic comedy-drama that feels authentic. Might not be to all tastes but I thought it was very lovely.

4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Cha Cha Real Smooth

Features one of the most accurate and positive depictions of autism I've seen so far, and through an actually autistic actress. Made me quite emotional seeing that but the rest of it is a very wholesome romantic comedy-drama that feels authentic. Might not be to all tastes but I thought it was very lovely

Cheers for this, I’ll check it out. Have you by any chance seen that Korean show on Netflix about an autistic lawyer? I know people have a hardon for South Korean culture but it’s Uber capitalist and disability visibility is non existent. Wondered if this show was challenging that?  K-pop doesn’t get the Juche flowing for me, Clive. 

19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Good Luck to You, Leo Grande (Prime)

One of the most surprisingly nice and very good films of last year. Extremely sex work-positive as a bonus but also very funny and turns on the dramatic moments just at the right time. Emma Thompson's performance deserves to be talked about for decades. Loved this.

Watched this week as well, and couldn't agree more. Incredibly moving, both leads were fantastic and Thompson was just amazing.

Still fit as well.

I watched Aftersun a couple of weeks back.

I can't remember another film that has affected me so much, it is absolutely heartbreaking. 

There will be moments in the day that I'll think of it randomly and just well up. I know we all agree they're silly, but I hope it wins all the awards. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I watched Aftersun a couple of weeks back.

I can't remember another film that has affected me so much, it is absolutely heartbreaking. 

There will be moments in the day that I'll think of it randomly and just well up. I know we all agree they're silly, but I hope it wins all the awards. 

It will be the ultimate test of how worthless they are if it loses. The best film I saw from last year by a distance.

33 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Cheers for this, I’ll check it out. Have you by any chance seen that Korean show on Netflix about an autistic lawyer?

My 15yo mentioned it the other day, I think, and put it on our watchlist. Sounds interesting, for sure.

Metal Lords was a ton of fun. The leader of the band was such a dickhead and written to perfection. I was like him at that age, bar the dungeons and dragons stuff. Speaking of which, his dad calling them “Incel action figures” my got a big laugh from me! 

53 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Metal Lords was a ton of fun. The leader of the band was such a dickhead and written to perfection. I was like him at that age, bar the dungeons and dragons stuff. Speaking of which, his dad calling them “Incel action figures” my got a big laugh from me! 

Yeah, I loved it. One of the most fun films I saw last year.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Just watched the trailer. Looks brilliant and right up my street. How haven't I heard of this? Netflix, your algorithm sucks balls. Also was that Brett Gelman I saw in the trailer? I hope he has a big role. He's great.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

18 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Just watched the trailer. Looks brilliant and right up my street. How haven't I heard of this? Netflix, your algorithm sucks balls. Also was that Brett Gelman I saw in the trailer? I hope he has a big role. He's great.

How the fuck did I not spot it was him from Stranger Things???? Yeah he delivered the incel action figures line. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Also was that Brett Gelman I saw in the trailer? I hope he has a big role. He's great.

He doesn't but he makes an impression.

I liked it too, it was a pretty good film.

Regarding Gelman, this is him at his deranged best.

Haven't managed too many films of late, but I did watch a nice made-for-television movie called Proud Men last week. 

A star vehicle for Charlton Heston at a time when theatrical roles weren't rolling in, he plays an old, conservative rancher who knows he is dying.  His son comes home to see him for the first time in fifteen years, having moved to Paris after deserting the Vietnam war. 

Nothing earth-shattering, but some really good performances and a suitable amount of drama as the so-called deserter (played by Peter Strauss) isn't exactly welcomed back with open arms. 

It's on YouTube if you like that sort of thing.