VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

The Pale Blue Eye

It looks beautiful, everything is cold and muted and empty, which sadly sums up the film as well. The pace is glacial and feels longer than it actually is which is odd because everyone is great in it, especially Melling and his odd face. He's got decades of character acting in his future.

On a side note I love Timothy Spall but since he lost all the weight it makes me sad every time he pops up on screen. I'm sure he's far healthier than he's ever been but he looks ill.

Oh and Toby Jones' career is stunning. He's just the best. £70million Netflix film, key role in the next Indiana Jones film and pop home to make a Detectorists Christmas special

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Factotum said:

Ha yeah what the hell was her performance in that? The accent was...quite something. I think Bale was about the laugh every time she spoke.

Yeah, she was absolutely dreadful. Not a massive role though, thankfully, so it didn't suffer too much as a result.

• Paid Members

Moonfall

"I'm going to make a film"
"What's it going to be about?"
"Ooh, I hadn't considered that. I'm thinking sci-fi, maybe? A bit like Gravity, with a hint of Armageddon, and then some Contact, Interstellar, Star Wars, Halo, Day After Tomorrow, 2001, Lost, and Spaceballs".
"Sounds like a winner!"

Roland Emmerich clearly has compromising Polaroids of someone, otherwise there's no way this film would exist. I can only assume that instead of a storyboard, he just turned a box of magazine clippings upside down and ran with what he saw. 

That said, I watched it all the way to the end. 

• Paid Members

Emily the Criminal

So close to being as sharp and critical as it likes to think it is on the subject of uncontracted work, only to utterly fuck the ending. Still a solid crime film though and Aubrey Plaza is a really excellent dramatic actor.

A Love Song

Really pleasant and lovely little comedy-drama. You'll have seen Dale Dickey in a load of films without perhaps knowing her name and she's so good in this in a rare lead role that it could be my favourite performance of the last year. God bless Wes Studi, too.

Mass

Extremely powerful and hard-to-watch drama about the parents of a mass shooter and one of the kids he murdered meeting to discuss their respective grief. Very well made and incredibly well acted, especially by Martha Plimpton. Brace yourself, though.

The Man from Toronto (Netflix)

It's very, very hard for me to dislike this sort of film, especially if Woody Harrelson is in it. But that's the Kevin Hart effect for you.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Mass

Extremely powerful and hard-to-watch drama about the parents of a mass shooter and one of the kids he murdered meeting to discuss their respective grief. Very well made and incredibly well acted, especially by Martha Plimpton. Brace yourself, though.

It's brilliant but I never want to watch it again. 

• Awards Moderator
12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Brilliant seeing four great character actors getting such large and important roles though.

Fantastic four-hander. Jason Isaacs did a heap of interviews this time last year to promote it, he offers great insight. Eg. https://shows.acast.com/kermodeonfilm/episodes/180-jason-isaacs-mass-special

• Paid Members

Gravity

Wanted to give the surround sound a test on something that wasn't all out action. The effects are pretty spectacular and it's one of the only ever films I wished I watched in 3D. It goes without saying it's much better than Clooney's latest 'Ticket to Paradiae' I watched with my in-laws.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Gravity

Wanted to give the surround sound a test on something that wasn't all out action. The effects are pretty spectacular and it's one of the only ever films I wished I watched in 3D. It goes without saying it's much better than Clooney's latest 'Ticket to Paradiae' I watched with my in-laws.

One of my favourite things about Gravity was this journalist asking the director about him filming it https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/reporter-asks-gravity-director-alfonso-649340/

But it’s an excellent 3D film. This, Tintin, TS Spivet, Hugo and Avatar are the gold standard when it comes to 3D being used in film. It’s a shame the format is so clunky for home use but I get why it’s so niche Even if I’m one of the few sad sods who wax lyrical about the format. It also uses Surround Sound extremely well so was a good test for your set up. I miss mine.

• Paid Members

Telstar. The Joe Meek Story.

Saw this mentioned in the Films with the most surreal cast thread.  Cracking film about the British Phil Spector.  The cast looked interesting, apart from James Fucking Corden, so gave it a go.  The soundtrack was practically my dads record collection from when I first started noticing music.  Really enjoyed this, and the what happened to bit at the end was a real eye opener.

• Paid Members

I know it's the best part of a decade old, but I watched Now You See Me on the recommendation of a friend tonight, and its sequel. I enjoyed them. They went along at a decent pace the turns were unexpected, but what I think I liked most about them is how a lot of the magic tricks in the movie were actual magic tricks, rather than some special effects thing. They had real world explanations. I hear there's a third one on the brink of entering production as well. I don't know how long they can keep going until it starts running out of steam, but they were an entertaining way of spending an evening.