VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

In reply to Scorch, obviously.

Yeah, and I’m sure you have everyone’s empathy and support with all of that. But your mental health was never used against you. If you’re referencing the “meltdown” Devon mentioned, it’s fairly obvious he was talking about your constant moaning about the downvote system, trying to obfuscate the two is disingenuous and pretty awful. 

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I haven't seen this, but did watch The Shape Of Things in 2022, another Neil LaBute. 

In The Company of Men is a black comedy where nothing is remotely funny, darkly or otherwise. It's got nothing to say other than men are cunts, which I knew without having to sit through this piece of shit.

• Paid Members
Just now, gmoney said:

In The Company of Men is a black comedy where nothing is remotely funny, darkly or otherwise. It's got nothing to say other than men are cunts, which I knew without having to sit through this piece of shit.

The antithesis to this film is a Canadian one called The Company of Strangers, which is a lovely and wholesome film. Used to be on YouTube but seems to have been removed now, sadly, but if you can track it down I highly recommend it.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/The_Company_of_Strangers

• Paid Members

I watched The Empire Strikes Back, as I always trend to watch at least one Star Wars film at Christmas, and opted for the version on Disney+, as I was being pinned down by a somewhat affectionate cat.

I don't usually pay much attention to colour grading in films, if that's how it looks then that's how it looks, but I fully understand why the Despecialized Editions exist now. So much purple in the shadows, and terribly noticeable on skin. The Imperial officers look like they've just been slapped around the head.

The scenes on Dagobah look like they've had extra grain applied to them, and then been blasted with sharpening or a high-pass filter to make them look grittier. It's particularly noticeable as the grittiness is absent on the Bespin scenes.

VHS has genuinely never looked so good in comparison.

I’ll  be honest chaps, none of you are coming out of this well.  

People like different shit, get over it.  There’s no right and wrong when it comes to taste.

These year-long feuds are boring.  

Can we just get back to talking about films in an inclusive, non-judgmental way and leave all the sixth-form bollocks to Twitter?

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

I watched three films the past three days - the Weird Al one, which I enjoyed quite a lot, then on NYE I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once, which was phenomenal. Never would I have thought I would feel emotional about a film which included hot-dog fingers. Last night I watched the latest Spider-Man - it's fine. I like Spider-Man, but I'm more excited about the new Across the Spiderverse. 

I also watched the Matilda the Musical thing on the 27th - it was okay, but they skipped two excellent songs from the actual musical. Still, the 'When I Grow Up' montage was lovely, and watching the Revolting Children bit AGAIN was excellent. 

Overall, a good few days. 

• Paid Members

53 New Releases seen. Bottom 5

1 - The Bubble (Netflix) About as funny as the original Covid Lockdown

2 - Clerks 3 - Kevin Smith is so far from his good days as a director its as depressing as this film is.

3 - Studio 666 - Foo Fighters slasher. Enough said.

4 - Beast - Idris Elba fights a lion. Passable

5 - Sonic 2 - Actually turned it off halfway through. Awful.

Top 15 of the year

15-Jackass Forever - Just a lot of fun and was the most laughs per minute this year
14- The Menu - A lot of fun which had me trying to second guess.
13- The Phantom Of The Open - Fun, heartwarming and a great cast. Underrated gem.
12- Marcel The Shell With Shoes On - Maybe a bit to cutsey and odd for some, but I thought it was lovely and unlike anything I had seen before.
11- The Batman - Overlong. But the best big screen adaption since Keaton and a nice touch to make it more of a detective story.
10 -Prey - Probably due to low expectations, but this really impressed. Shame it wasn't on the big screen.
9 - Nope - I found it better on a rewatch. Looked lovely on a big IMAX screen and just thought it was another interesting Jordan Peele tale.
8 -Matilda - Best new musical I saw this year. Wasn't taken with Emma Thompson, but the rest of the cast were great and the songs were catchy.
7- Glass Onion - Whilst not as enjoyable as Knives Out, Benoit Blanc's second big screen case is still superb.
6 - Turning Red - Pixar's best work in years. Loved this and disappointed this got dumped for the cinema over Lightyear which was meh.
5 - Barbarian - Had no expectations with this, and thought it was great. The less you know the better
4 - Elvis - Not a fan of Elvis and not much of a Baz Lurhman fan, but this was him at his best and thought Austin Butler was phenomenal.

3- Top Gun Maverick - Not a fan of Top Gun, but seeing this before the hype killed it was one of my favourits cinema outings this year. Seeing it again in 4DX made it even better and is probably the film I will rewatch the most.

2- The Woman King - Deserves all the awards. Some of my favourite performances this year with a captivating story. Fantastic stuff.

1 -Everything, Everywhere, All At Once - Maybe it will be this years The Artist, but seeing this at the cinema was wonderful. Looked great on a big screen. Mad, insane, heartwarming, fun. Ke Huy Quan I hope has a career resurgence off this. Just wonderful.

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Turning Red - Pixar's best work in years. Loved this and disappointed this got dumped for the cinema over Lightyear which was meh.

According to my Letterboxd, this was my highest rated film of the year. I haven’t seen many new films this year but even so, this was joyous. Absolutely lovely.