VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Hopefully Christopher Nolan.

He has truly jumped the bat. Many films ago. 

If I have to save one Nolan film to prove he did know what he was doing once upon a time, it's The Prestige. An absolutely immaculate piece of storytelling, incredibly made, masterfully assembled. So good and stands up to many rewatches. 

The Prestige is his best by some distance. Just a thrilling yarn about warring Victorian magicians. Even when it starts to disappear up its own arse it’s got plenty in the bank to forgive it. Dunkirk is good too. It’ll be interesting to see how he does with Oppenheimer because within the confines of a biopic I’d imagine he’ll be somewhat restrained.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Could do without Winstone as well to be honest.

Full on cockney Winstone with almost more Face/Heel turns than Big Show had in his WWE run is one of the only things I remember. Well, that, the nuclear fridge and the vine swinging. I’m sure there are some decent bits.

I’ve told @Onyx2before about my feelings on Nolan. I really enjoyed Momento and Insomnia when they first came out, even having to travel to London to see them at the Cinema. He deffo peaked at the Prestige with Batman Begins being his last good film. The rest of that Trilogy is overrated wank. Can’t even hear any dialogue in his films due to the fucking score they all have and the bass. Must be making films for people who thought Beats made the best headphones as they only listened to Bass heavy music. Didn’t even think Dunkirk was that great, clever concept, poorly executed.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Absolutely correct, but it's a fun enough film if you don't compare it to the other 3,

Couldn't disagree more, as a story I probably enjoyed it more that ToD which I really am not a fan off (the constantly screaming damsel in distress doesn't help it imo either) but it was, like my die hard 4 complaint, full of cgi bollocks spooned in because they could rather than because they should. 

• Paid Members

Just finished watching Die Hard 5. My order stands.

Worst one by a long shot. John McClane travels to Russia solely to antagonise his own son, ruin his mission he has no idea about and then blame him for it. Main bad guy looks at her Dad like she wants to fuck him.

Add his son to the list of people who want nothing to do with him and then take up the McClane name when he wins the day. Glory supporters. 

Best bit is the Gruber fall into the helicopter blades. Rest of it is junk, dump it.

• Paid Members

Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio

I knew nothing about it other than the obvious, and that someone I vaguely know worked on the animation team. I wasn't really expecting it to be a parable about non-compliance under Italian fascism, but I'm here for that. The songs were forgettable, and I sort of thing the film would have flowed better without them, but it was otherwise fantastic. The final act falls into a bit of a deus ex machina-filled mess for a while, but sort of feels like it's earned it enough that I'll give it a pass. The animation is gorgeous, and the ending sequence lovely.

Edited by BomberPat

14 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Wayne’s World

I dunno. Guess you had to be there? Not good.

This might be a silly question, but was this your first time seeing it? 
I don’t mean that like “fucks sake! You’ve never seen Wayne’s World?”, but I think seeing something for the first time 30 years after it’s initial release plays a big part in how much you’ll enjoy it. Comedy stylings, frames of reference, all those kinds of things have changed a lot from when it was first released. While it’s obviously a completely different genre of film, The Exorcist was considered immensely scary back when first released but by the time the re-releases came around it was considered quite tame.

Wayne’s World will always be a favourite for me however, I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve watched it in those 30 years. A few of its references went over my head when first seeing it (I didn’t get the Terminator 2 reference until years later after seeing that the first time), but it was a massive gateway in terms of music for me, especially hearing Alice Cooper for the first time.