VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Cocaine Bear (cinema)

As enjoyably stupid as I hoped it would be. Drags a bit in the last 20 minutes or so and the cast's a bit too big but I laughed plenty and the other two people in the cinema watching it walked out, so what more needs to be said. Ice Cube Jr MVP.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

This grows on me a bit more every time I see it. It's still difficult to view it as more than a precursor to The Nice Guys but it's very good in its own right. It's Michelle Monaghan's film though, and not just because I hate Robert Downey Jr.

The Long Kiss Goodnight

Much like with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It's also weighed down by one of the two leads being shit (never convinced by Geena Davis in this at ALL) but the action and dialogue are terrific. Really wish Shane Black had directed it though.

Women Talking (cinema)

A huge disappointment. Never really settles on what it wants to be and some of the dialogue and one or two of the performances are really bad. A potentially important film rendered mostly crap by a director who didn't know what she was doing.

• Paid Members

Operation Fortune - Guy Ritchie dips back into the spy genre by making a decent, not great attempt at starting a Mission Impossible franchise (it won’t). Gasp at Carey Elwes doing his best Colin Firth impression decently. Be amazed that Max Beasley stars in a film for an international audience, as Martin Freeman was probably filming another Marvel film at the time. Be less amazed that Aubrey Plaza is the best thing in it. Laugh as once again Hugh Grant stars in a Guy Ritchie film with another comical accent. It’s fine, could have been better and the end is weird, just seems to happen out the blue. 

• Awards Moderator

Scream VI (pictures)

Absurdly wonderful fun. It still has the usual franchise self-love and the ‘are they hiding in plain sight or are they getting gutted?’ themes you’d expect, but they’ve really freshened things up with this outing. Without giving anything away, expect the usual lunacy but with a bit of a twist. This is definitely one I’ll watch again.

Clueless (dodgy Firestick)

Nearly 30 years old! I honestly thought I’d seen it back in the day but must have been mistaken as this was new to me. Me and the missus have put together a list of 30 films (15 each) we both love, and each weekend we spin a virtual wheel to see what’s next. This was yesterday morning’s offering and I bloody loved it. Once I realised I hadn’t seen it, I was expecting it to be a ‘but it was great at the time’ film, but I found it a hoot. Silverstone is superb, Paul Rudd had that early twinkle in his eye and I’m now upset about Brittany Murphy all over again. Belter of a soundtrack, too.

Fall (Netflix)

I wasn’t expecting much from this, but it had a really shady undertone and I was impressed that they made it last as long as they did without dragging it out/making it over the top. Lots of jumpy moments, well paced and only a couple of ‘oh, fuck off’s. Very good but I’m never going up a ladder again.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Free Guy

I think the best I can say about it is that it's not as shit as I thought I would it be. I found it mostly inoffensive, but deathly dull. With very, very few exceptions, Hollywood just can't "do" video games, so none of the video game aspect of the story ever felt like a real game, and none of the characters outside of that were anything more than cookie-cutter one-note stereotypes. What's worse is that, from the opening sequence, where Ryan Reynolds is waking up in bed and telling you how perfect life is, then opening a wardrobe to a row of identical outfits, I just wanted to watch The Lego Movie, which does all the same gags, and broadly the same overarching story, much better. 

There's a point where the programmer played by Steve from Stranger Things talks about programming in "0s and 1s", because you definitely write massive online multiplayer GTA clones in fucking binary.

King of Comedy

About time I watched this one, ridiculous that I hadn't already. It's brilliant. The exact opposite of Free Guy reminding me of a better movie, in that watching this made Joker retroactively even worse. I read somewhere that it was shopped around with Andy Kaufman in the lead role, which would have been fun, and offered a much more anxious, nervous energy, but DeNiro's confidence is really beguiling - you really get the sense that he believes his delusions, that it's just a matter of time before everything works out for him, and what he eventually ends up doing just comes naturally to him as the logical conclusion to that, which is a really convincing portrayal of this sort of person, who can dedicate all of their time to wanting to be famous or to have achieved something, but none of it to actually practically achieving those goals. I couldn't help but be reminded of a few people, and at least one ex-UKFFer...

If it had been Kaufman in the role, it would have been reminiscent of Stephen King's criticism of Jack Nicholson in The Shining - there's no sense that Jack is a normal man driven crazy by circumstance, as he's obviously crazy from the outset; Kaufman in this would have been so obviously irrational and deluded that there'd be no real narrative.

Back to Joker, setting that film in the '80s feels so egregious in how much they wanted to rip this film off, but also kind of cowardly when I spent half of the film thinking how much more convincingly you could tell this kind of story today. It's easy to picture a Rupert Pupkin type today as a YouTuber or Twitch streamer with barely any followers, thinking that they're on the verge of greatness, getting one meagre interaction with a much bigger star in that field and thinking it makes them friends, constantly talking about collaborating, creating sock puppet accounts on social media, always thinking that they're just one big break away from greatness. Pupkin already had the "living in his mother's basement" thing down before that became a cliché.

• Paid Members

65 over delivered massively for me. I wasn't expecting/didn't know much going in but I was happy to be watching a random sci fi b movie the likes there aren't enough of anymore. I ended up pretty much loving it, especially the last act. Really glad I saw it in the cinema too for some of the VFX and sound.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

65 over delivered massively for me. I wasn't expecting/didn't know much going in but I was happy to be watching a random sci fi b movie the likes there aren't enough of anymore. I ended up pretty much loving it, especially the last act. Really glad I saw it in the cinema too for some of the VFX and sound.

Someone genuinely fell asleep and was snoring a couple of seats down from me. I was about to wake him but I fell asleep too before I got the chance.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Someone genuinely fell asleep and was snoring a couple of seats down from me. I was about to wake him but I fell asleep too before I got the chance.

I didn't have time to get bored cos it felt like one of the first films I've seen in ages that wasn't 3 hours long. That was another thing I liked about it, think it was done by 90 mins.

Edit: speaking of which apparently the new John Wick is pushing 3 hours which seems like overkill 

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I didn't have time to get bored cos it felt like one of the first films I've seen in ages that wasn't 3 hours long. That was another thing I liked about it, think it was done by 90 mins.

Edit: speaking of which apparently the new John Wick is pushing 3 hours which seems like overkill 

I heard that too. Utter madness that. This fascination with movies that last as long as a work week has gotten to be a real ballache. 

I'm here all day for people still willing to put one out between 87 and 105 minutes. 

• Paid Members

65 (cinema)

As has been reported in this thread, really enjoyable and delivers exactly what you might hope for from it. Adam Driver is probably too good for it but he seems to be having a great time and I hope he did. A good, handsome lad.

Rye Lane (cinema)

One of the few films I've watched where I can see what London bores are on about when they harp on about the city. Makes Peckham and Brixton look the most fun places in the world to live. Also happens to be a really lovely romcom with a truckload of laughs and funny performances. Most notably Gary Beadle!

Stage Door (1937) (ok.ru)

Lovely old comedy about a group of aspiring actresses living in a boarding house. Tons of cracking one-liners and Katharine Hepburn being the greatest of all-time as usual. Ginger Rogers tho 😳

The Squid and the Whale

Christ what a boring director Noah Baumbach is. I get what I deserve for watching a Jesse Eisenberg film but it's the same shit every time with Baumbach. Loads of awful people being shit to each other. Bore off.

Close Range (2015)

Took me a while to really warm to Scott Adkins but I see it now. Simple, crunching actioner that doesn't outstay its welcome. Good stuff.

Some Came Running

Was Frank Sinatra a more interesting actor than singer? Yes, yes he was. Another very strong performance alongside his mate Deam Martin in a great old small town melodrama, possibly the best film I've watched this year.

X (Prime)

Rewatched this ahead of going to see Pearl, before going to see 65 instead. Still don't think this is all that, but it's a decent enough slasher with plenty of boob. Looking forward to Pearl though, Mia Goth is ace.

• Paid Members

Scream VI - Ghostface Takes Manhattan Franchise best opener. Decent beginning and middle but that final 3rd of the film is bloody awful. Complete nonsense.

Shazam 2 - All the fun of the first film is almost absent. Wafer thin plot, crap CGI and Zachary Levi is piss poor. 

Shit choice for a double bill but Rye Lane was on at a duff time. Both 5/10 films.

Snatched (2017) - Mrs Loki's choice of a film to watch with her 76 year old mother visiting as it "looked fun".  So generated some extreme embarrassment at lines about "69ing with my mother" and Amy Schumer wiping her twat with loo paper because she wants to have sex, and it stinks.

A truly, truly awful film with almost no redeeming features besides the short run length.  I admire how fantastic Goldie Hawn still looks in her late 70s but to come out of retirement for THIS script...

On 3/17/2023 at 8:23 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Squid and the Whale

Christ what a boring director Noah Baumbach is. I get what I deserve for watching a Jesse Eisenberg film but it's the same shit every time with Baumbach. Loads of awful people being shit to each other. Bore off.

I think KICKING AND SCREAMING is the only film I have ever liked of his. The less said about his WHITE NOISE the better. Adam Driver needs to get away from him