WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

About 50 hours into Persona 5 Royal - the QoL changes make it even more fun than the original. I only had vague memories of various bits whilst completing it, so that's been nice - plus I'm going through different social links that I didn't do last time, which is nice. I still romanced the doctor though - my goth gf. 

I'm quite addicted to Avengers (having only bought it a couple of weeks ago) to be honest. And I say that as someone who doesn't really understand those kinda games. 

They've made some odd choices. The gear not making any cosmetic choices seems odd to me. It needs more content. There should really be some missions in Asgard or World War 2 or something. There needs to be more mission types. Etc.

But, to be honest, making an Avengers game is a cursed challenge to begin with. Its taken a lot of false starts to create good Batman and Spiderman games and they involve one character. 

Batman has had some surprisingly great games over the years, the first on the Speccy and Amstrad is a classic and up there with RoboCop for the best early licensed title.

There were a slew of other good games up until the mid 90s and the quality seemed to fall off a cliff during the PS1 era.

• Paid Members

Has there been a good Superman game? 

The Batman character allows for varied and expansive games. That can really be done with Superman. Isn't there a VR Superman hame in the works?

Edited by BigJag

29 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Batman has had some surprisingly great games over the years, the first on the Speccy and Amstrad is a classic and up there with RoboCop for the best early licensed title.

There were a slew of other good games up until the mid 90s and the quality seemed to fall off a cliff during the PS1 era.

Batman Lego game was good fun, but then I think all the Lego games are.

• Paid Members

There was a really good Batman game I had on C64 called Batman: The Caped Crusader. It was a side on flick-screen adventure, with each screen laid out like a panel from the comic. One side of the tape had the Joker as villain, and the other side was the Penguin. 

There was a half decent Superman game in the arcade by Taito. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

There was a really good Batman game I had on C64 called Batman: The Caped Crusader. It was a side on flick-screen adventure, with each screen laid out like a panel from the comic. One side of the tape had the Joker as villain, and the other side was the Penguin. 

There was a half decent Superman game in the arcade by Taito. 

I had the Amiga version of The Caped Crusader, it looked awesome with that comic book presentation but I didn't know what I was doing for most of it.

I think the last good one of that period was Batman Forever in the arcade, completely overlooked due to beat 'em ups being out of favour by 1995 and a couple of really poor console conversions. In more recent years The Brave and the Bold was genuinely good fun, but again overlooked for being a Wii title without much promotion behind it.

• Paid Members

I've just started Persona 5. After over an hour of game time I feel like 95% of it has been cutscenes and dialogue and very little actual game time and actual doing anything. Is this just the opening and at some point can I just play the fucking thing or is the whole game like this?

• Paid Members

I think I read or heard somewhere that they'd been reskinned to look fancy in HD, but that none of the bugs had been fixed. That would have been a while back though, so there's every chance that they've been patched out now. 

Mafia 2 is a bit wonky (but it always was, and it never stopped it from being really good), the remake of 1 is excellent and 3 is also pretty decent. They're all kind of like slow-paced GTA games, so if that's your sort of thing, 25 quid sounds like a pretty good price for all three.

Edited by CAREBEAR LUVVA

• Paid Members

1 and 2 are classics. 3 is merely okay. The big backlash against 2 "not having stuff to do" in the open world caused them to add crap mandatory busy-work in between the proper story missions, it gets tedious pretty quick. It's a shame as the story is amazing, some of the proper assassination missions and set-pieces are great (and the soundtrack might be the G.O.A.T.), it just all ends up being spread too thin against the "Do X, X and X before you can progress the story meaningfully" structure.

Definitely recommend the lot for that price.

With the EU having just approved Microsoft's purchase of Bethesda, it looks like they might be gearing up for some announcement this week. Whatever about new titles and their system exclusivity in the future, but I'd be hoping the studio's back catalogue starts getting added to Game Pass. At the moment I believe it's just 76, New Vegas, Skyrim and Doom Eternal on there. 

Really what I'd be hoping for in time - since Microsoft now own their properties and there's virtually no new system exclusives for Series SX whatsoever - is that Game Pass becomes a sort of catch all hub/complete library for Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout, Elder Scrolls etc. Having the full history of all those titles on there would be huge and would pretty much fill my time for years.