WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

Also Square Enix was such an odd fucking choice to develope the game imo. 

An actual SP Marvel RPG would have probably done very well but there were already signs that the live service bandwagon was slowing down.

People can only commit to one or maybe two live services. 

Much like the battle royal craze, it's usually only the games that strike gold early that last.

The failure of Anthem and success of Fallen Order has at least knocked some sense into EA.

For now anyway. 

• Paid Members

Had just under four quid in my PS account so I managed to scrape together the following games for £3.91; Hue, Manuel Samuel, Human Fall Flat, Little Acre, Downwell, Oxenfree, Dear Esther and The Flame In The Flood. Hue and Downwell are both highly-rated and are Vita crossplay titles too so it's already a real good deal.

Played and completed Manuel Samuel last night in around four hours; it's an entertaining and endearing romp but by fucking God is the gameplay frustrating. You control Samuel's limbs and eyes and breathing and other miscellaneous actions through button presses (R2 and L2 control your right and left legs when walking, for example), and I get that it's meant to show how difficult a simple task can be when you're controlling each bodily function individuality, but in the later stages the controls become piss poor.

There's a boss fight where you have to use swords, and parrying becomes difficult because you can only execute it once Samuel has stopped dead in his tracks. So if you're walking or in the middle of some other action, you can only execute a parry once Samuel is back in his neutral position, which is often way too late. To me, that's a design flaw disguised as a game mechanic. It really left a sour taste in my mouth once it was all over, but hey, it's cost about 50p and the first half was still very enjoyable.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Fallen Order

I've been playing this lately, really enjoying it. I'm lazily comparing it to Outer Worlds because of the planet hopping premise, but it's a much better game in my view. Visually it's a lot better. The characters have life rather than the same rigid figures you have in Obsidian/Bethesda games (and I'm a big fan of their games).

It kind if reminds me of Arkham Asylum, as a halfway house between a linear and an open world game. Much like AA, you can access more parts of a previously visited area when you learn new abilities throughout the game. 

I bought Avengers day one on PS4 and thought the single player campaign was a 5/10 game at best. It tries very hard to be a modern AAA game in the vein of Uncharted, the more recent Tom Raiders, God of War etc. but is nowhere near that level of polish. Even if you wanted to compare it purely to recent-ish superhero games, its not a patch on Spider-Man or any of the Arkham series. 

The story isn't interesting, it's very brief, the gameplay is pretty repetitive and on the base model PS4 some of the textures are amazingly bad. I am not a 120fps, 4k tech-obsessed ponce but there were times where I felt like I was looking at an N64 game.

I guess they thought that the license would mean a lot more than it did. Major botch. I would rather play Captain America and the Avengers on the Mega Drive.

On a more positive note, I recently picked up a Series S and 3 months of Game Pass for £1 and its the best £250 I've ever spent. Everything looks so sharp, runs so smooth and loads rapidly. 

Avengers is just a weird in-between. If it's going to look like the comics or cartoons etc, then do that. Or if it's going for a live action look then get the damn faces. It just looks like a bunch of cosplay people pretending to be the Avengers and a whole lot of nothingness really.

Fallen Order is great fun, making the "soulsborne" experience much more accessible too. I felt combat was a little underwhelming at first but as soon as you start piling on those force powers it gets much better, giving you so many ways to beat enemies and making it really tactical.

The story isn't exactly KOTOR but it works well, better than any JJ shite.

17 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Footie Manager on Game Pass, lads. Glad I didn’t buy it last month. 

Surprised at how much I like it with a controller. Pushing in the analog stick to have a pointer on screen is the way to go. I'm hunched over a mouse and keyboard enough doing WFH so I'll take it. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I guess they thought that the license would mean a lot more than it did. Major botch. I would rather play Captain America and the Avengers on the Mega Drive.

On a more positive note, I recently picked up a Series S and 3 months of Game Pass for £1 and its the best £250 I've ever spent. Everything looks so sharp, runs so smooth and loads rapidly. 

I've had a bash at that as well. It's a bad port of a middling at best arcade game. Fire up MAME and play the Sega Spider-Man game if you fancy a change from the Konami X-Men or Capcom Punisher game for a little Marvel fix. 

I was wishing they put a model out with the power of the Series S but with a disc drive as I still have a fair few XBox One games on disk, but don't really have the cash for a series X. 

I bought that X-Men game when it came out on the 360, it's pretty poor compared to other Konami beat 'em ups like the two Turtles titles, The Simpsons or even Asterix which I wish I got to play on an actual cabinet but it seemed to be rare as fuck here.

• Paid Members

X-Men is pretty early in the Konami beat em up timeline if memory serves, which is why it uses the older Dave Cockrum/John Byrne designs. Turtles, Simpsons, Vendetta, Wild West Cowboy Of Moo Mesa etc had refined the formula. Still worth a play though, especially on that double wide 6 player cabinet. The later Konami brawlers had brighter colours and louder noises as well. 

Imagine a sequel mid 90s with Jim Lee style characters and more hectic action? That could have been special. I know there were efforts on the consoles, but they didn't quite capture it the same way. 

I know Capcom had the rights by then, and it's not like the X-Men/Marvel/ Vs fighting games were a waste of the licence by any means. A Capcom Marvel beat em up could have been really special if Battle Circuit is anything to go by. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Turtles was 89, it was Turtles in Time that came out 91.

X-Men although out in 92 was based on the Kitty Pryde cartoon series which is why the costumes make it look older than it was. The classic x-men cartoon came later in 92.