WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

23 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Is Fallout 76 really any good to play post Wastelander and Steel Dawn expansions? I've been binging on 3, NV and The Outer Worlds and am still after a similar style of game, it's comfort gaming.

Re-installed it on the Xbox last Saturday, as it happens. 

I like it. As long as you don't have any massive expectations, you should get some worth out of it if you're big into the other games. I play solo specifically for comfort gaming. The servers are dead feeling, you have to eat and drink every so often and there's a big emphasis on scrapping and crafting so if you're just looking to just piss away a few hours pretending you're a filthy scrounger it's an oddly peaceful experience. 

Just expect that the (few) NPCs and quests won't exactly be Hollywood. They're bog standard, practically auto generated fetch and destroys designed to level you up. But then I think that's the way it is with pretty much any MMO. 76 has the advantage that the actual landscape and survival gameplay is as immersive as any other Fallout. 

• Paid Members

We gave up on our return to Fallout 76 post-Wastelander update when we got sick of not being able to talk to mission-giving NPCs together as a group, so someone would have to wait outside while the other person spoke to them and had to relay everything the NPC told them. May as well have been playing on our own.

2 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

I've read/heard that it's better than when it launched but still pretty shit and buggy.

Isn't it on game pass? If you have access to that then it wouldn't hurt to try it out. 

I'm on PS4 but it's easy enough to find pre-owned for around 5 or 6 quid.

@Gay as FOOK You've sold it to me, I'll probably finish up 3 and maybe even restart 4 first but I'll grab it in the next couple of months.

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

The best part of Anthem was the great take-downs by your Jim Sterlings and Angry Joes. The shit storm just made for tremendous content, Same goes for Fallout 76 actually; the only positive that seemingly came out of that disaster were the lengthy critique videos.

Some of the deep dives on these gaming disasters are funny and informative, and I can't blame fans for having a go at raking in the YouTube views, but I deplore that whole trend as a whole.

There's more to guys like Jim, and I might be wrong about Joe, but every time the fucker pops up on my recommended he just looks like another one of the bazillion whiners whose every video thumbnail is them standing in front of their massive video game collections trying to look as upset as possible. 

WHAT DID GO WRONG WITH CYBERPUNK?!

I don't know, gaming YouTube. I don't think it's been covered quite enough. What did go wrong with Cyberpunk?

2 hours ago, TomJones233 said:

Speaking of buggy games at launch. Is Avengers worth £25?

I would say there are better ways of spending your £25, but it also depends on how much of a budget you're operating on as far as gaming goes. It's not a terrible game, but it's also not a brilliant game. There are far better (and often cheaper) brawlers out there, and the same could be said for superhero games in general. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Some of the deep dives on these gaming disasters are funny and informative, and I can't blame fans for having a go at raking in the YouTube views, but I deplore that whole trend as a whole.

There's more to guys like Jim, and I might be wrong about Joe, but every time the fucker pops up on my recommended he just looks like another one of the bazillion whiners whose every video thumbnail is them standing in front of their massive video game collections trying to look as upset as possible. 

WHAT DID GO WRONG WITH CYBERPUNK?!

I don't know, gaming YouTube. I don't think it's been covered quite enough. What did go wrong with Cyberpunk?

I absolutely get where you're coming from, and those two are pretty much the only guys I watch when it comes to gaming critique videos. I don't really watch anyone else because Joe and Jim have the distinction of tenure and actually looking like they care about the gaming industry and the direction it's going, rather than just posting angry videos for clicks. Hell, both of them make up the most of their cash from Patreon and other similar services, so click-baity videos and bandwagon-anger aren't really their bread and butter. When something is bad and/or harmful, I believe it when they say it. Anyone else doing the ANGRY GAMER-!~! shtick I pretty much ignore or skip.

It's why Red Letter Media are pretty much the only movie/TV critique videos I watch. They've been around since practically the beginning and, through the thick sarcasm and patter, they do seem like they genuinely care about the medium. I can't say the same thing about Nostalgia Critic though, as he's always come across as phony and try-hard.

Edited by Accident Prone

I used to really like Jim Sterling, there was a time when he hit that sweet spot of critiquing scummy practices and showing off games that might not have gotten much attention elsewhere but his character/s started creeping in waaaay too much and then the majority of his "Jimpressions" sounded like a guy on the verge of a breakdown complaining over and over about the smallest gameplay mechanic he personally didn't like, he was fixating.

Then don't get me started on the Sinophobic phase when he had a hard-on for saying shit about China whenever he got the chance.

Only time Sterling seems to bring up China is when insert company here bends over to please the government.

Even then he's ripping on the companies more which has been his bread and butter for years.

Edit. 

Angry Joe has been shit for years imo.

Double edit wanker. 

Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifers Call (Nocturne) 

Forgot how much of a ball breaker this game can be. 

Probably still my favourite mainline SMT though and wonderfully atmospheric. 

Edited by The King Of Swing