WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

On 3/7/2021 at 4:32 PM, scratchdj said:

The best Batman game will always be Batman Returns on the SNES. Looks and plays superb.

This is a hill I would be happy to die on. Batman Returns on the Snes is insanely overlooked; Great gameplay, graphics and follows the film closely. 

Batman for the Game Boy is also brilliant, based loosely on the 1989 film, it's basically Mario with guns, worth hunting down, the gameplay still holds up brilliant.

'Superman shadow of Apokolips' for Gamecube and PS2 is a pretty decent Superman game

24 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

A couple of strange omissions but that's a great line-up.

No Fallout 3 and for some reason New Vegas is console only, both of which I've been playing on PC anyway but yeah, odd. Morrowind on a Series X might actually run well!

Yeah not to look a gift horse in the mouth but two in particular I was looking forward to were Fallout 3 and Doom 2016. I'm sure they'll be along at some point. 

Some of these games are meant to be getting the 60 FPS bump as well which Microsoft have been doing on a few titles without even touching the source code of the games, which is impressive stuff. 

• Paid Members

It's from the people that did the Yakuza games and Judgement. If you've not played them you'll likely enjoy them as well.

• Paid Members

Finished the main story of Persona 5. Slightly concerning that if you weren't aware of the differences between 5 and Royal, you could easily miss out on all the Royal content - there's no real indication in game of what you need to do, and I only managed to salvage the second Social Link at the last minute because I googled how to unlock the extra semester. 

Looking forward to where it goes from here though... 

I do have to confess to having to fight the final boss twice because the first time, I got it down to near the end, then stupidly tried an attack that I knew would be reflected, killing my main character and therefore ending the fight. I was not best pleased with myself.

Edited by Nexus

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ThommoLincs said:

Can someone please sell me on Oblivion /Elder Scrolls/Morrowind. 

I tried to play oblivion years ago and gave up after an hour. 

What's the point if you've already made your mind up?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ThommoLincs said:

Can someone please sell me on Oblivion /Elder Scrolls/Morrowind. 

I tried to play oblivion years ago and gave up after an hour. 

I had the same experience with Fallout 3. Played it for an hour when it was first released, didn't play it again until a few years later when I had a second attempt and it hooked me to the point where my wedding had a massive NUKA WORLD banner hanging from the balcony. What I'm trying to say is that most Bethesda open-world games take a couple tries to get into...except Fallout 76, don't touch that with a barge pole.

What didn't you like about it?

Speaking of The Elder Scrolls, there a modern Unity based source port of Daggerfall, the game is still as inaccessible as it always was but it runs and looks more like you'd expect for a modern title, especially with some graphics mods on top.

I want to love it but modern videogames have turned my brain to mush and I'd rather not read manuals with 100s of pages just to understand the basics..

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I had the same experience with Fallout 3. Played it for an hour when it was first released, didn't play it again until a few years later when I had a second attempt and it hooked me to the point where my wedding had a massive NUKA WORLD banner hanging from the balcony. What I'm trying to say is that most Bethesda open-world games take a couple tries to get into...except Fallout 76, don't touch that with a barge pole.

The problem with them can be that sometimes their worlds are a bit too open. New Vegas has a more linear structure to it so you don't end up lost and crippled by indecision because you've managed to pick up a million sidequests and can't decide what to do next. It can feel daunting. I know on my Skyrim playthrough I have so much stuff going on that I would have no idea what to do now if I jumped back into it. I may have to try and start again when I have a decent bit of time to plough in. This is something I enjoyed about Fable 2 as well. It'd let you go and do all the things, but eventually you'd reach a point in each stage of the story where you've gotten all the sidequests done and it gently nudges you back to the main story. Fable 3 was the opposite. It was more "*sigh* OK, go and find some busywork to occupy yourself a little before the next bit of main quest", and as soon as you'd done maybe a couple of them it's immediately "RIGHT, time for the actual story again. Hope you enjoyed this illusion of an open world."

I'd probably still give Skyrim a shot if Oblivion didn't tickle your fancy. It's more of a big budget, Hollywood, focussed take on a massive open world fantasy RPG and the current build of it still holds up rather well in terms of presentation. 

Oblivion's my favourite and for me the real sweet spot between Skyrim's accessibility and the previous entries more hardcore RPG trappings. There's a sizeable amount of folk who find its setting incredibly, incredibly boring though.