WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I loved Oblivion and it blew my mind when I first played it. It was my first ever huge open-world RPG and so I'll always have a soft spot for it. I prefer the gameplay to Skyrim and all the different skills and such - Skyrim was great fun at the time but, looking back, it really is a very dumbed-down RPG. Still a fantastic game, mind. With Oblivion, the big flaw was the levelling system, with an enemy being just as challenging when you're Level 25 as he was when you were Level 5. That and the archery - I had to tone the difficulty setting right down purely because it was so immersion-breaking having to hit a bandit with 40 arrows to kill him.

I'm getting near the end of Kingdom Come: Deliverance now. Absolutely loved it; it's one my very favourite games I've ever played. I've done all the side quests and now just need to complete the A Woman's Lot DLC and then finish off the main story. 

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Although they have their great moments like with Shivering Isles.

Shivering Isles is one of the best expansions for anything, ever. It's the video game equivalent of wrestling fans going "Vince must have left the building for the show to be this great". Maybe Bethesda's core team worked on it, but a part of me feels their B team got given the project when the rest of them went to work on Fallout 3. It's so unshackled, so unburdened. Just a delightfully mad, mad game. 

What’s the levelling system like with Skyrim? I fucking hate putting 30 hours in to a game only to go back to the starting area and having all the enemies scaled up to my level. I want to stroll around my old haunts cutting through enemies like they’re complete jobbers. Also is it first or third person?

• Paid Members

I'm not a regular in here, but I believe Skyrim is 3rd and 1st depending on what you fancy. 

I screwed myself with Skyrim years back. I was really enjoying it but went on a mad tangent trying  to upgrade my Dragon glass (if I remember correctly) armour and weapons as much as possible, so I was just fast traveling back and forth getting the materials for hours. The end result was me just 1 shotting fools and it became super boring. 

Fucked it. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

What’s the levelling system like with Skyrim? I fucking hate putting 30 hours in to a game only to go back to the starting area and having all the enemies scaled up to my level. I want to stroll around my old haunts cutting through enemies like they’re complete jobbers. Also is it first or third person?

The enemies don't level up along with you, so by the time you've got a ridiculous armour and weapon set you'll be smoking fools like there's no tomorrow. It's first person.

I love Skyrim so much, but since I became obsessed with it I've played The Witcher, Odyssey & Origins, Fallout 4, RDR2 and quite a few others that have taken open world games further- so I wonder if Skyrim will seem quite average now. The writing, as Merzbow mentioned, is pretty dry. It's begging for someone like Bolson from BOTW (fucking love him) to just liven it up a bit. 

Edit: @Silky Kisseris right, you can play Skyrim in third person, but it looks really shit. And like him, I also spent hours (around 10 I'd wager) lugging shit around from various places to my newly built home. Massive chore.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

In the early hours I only went and bagged me a PS5!  Got the Spider-Man game with it, and was going to set up tonight but wanted to wipe my PS4 first.  Four fucking hours it’s taken and I’m working tomorrow so no fun till tomorrow night now.

I’m not sure if it’s still the case on all games but you might have trouble transferring your save data over if you’ve wiped your PS4. For some reason you had to have an active install of Spider-Man on your PS4 to transfer it and even though it shows up as a nameless save file on the cloud data it still won’t transfer and I believe that was the case for all the games. Could be fixed now though.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I had the same experience with Fallout 3. Played it for an hour when it was first released, didn't play it again until a few years later when I had a second attempt and it hooked me to the point where my wedding had a massive NUKA WORLD banner hanging from the balcony. What I'm trying to say is that most Bethesda open-world games take a couple tries to get into...except Fallout 76, don't touch that with a barge pole.

Your not alone on fallout 3. One of my mates quit before leaving the vault. He went back a good year later and loved it. 

I dare say I did it to Witcher.... that turned out to get the best game I’ve ever played 

Still enjoying Miles Morales. It is in essence very similar to the Batman games but that's no bad thing. I really enjoyed those too. I do find myself just swinging around a lot and looking around the city and just appreciating how stunning it is.

Not sure what I'll jump into next. Might dip into some of the PS4 stuff I missed. It's the most I've enjoyed gaming in quite some time though.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Still enjoying Miles Morales. It is in essence very similar to the Batman games but that's no bad thing. I really enjoyed those too. I do find myself just swinging around a lot and looking around the city and just appreciating how stunning it is.

Not sure what I'll jump into next. Might dip into some of the PS4 stuff I missed. It's the most I've enjoyed gaming in quite some time though.

I didnt buy alot of ps4 stuff to wait for the 5. Stupidly i played last of us 2 before most of them........Its all ruined as that game was amazing

It’s not ruined you just need a palette cleanser. I did Breath of the Wild/Red Dead 2/ God of War in a row and I found the best way to get over that hump was to play shorter fun games with less emotional levity. Spider-Man, and the Uncharted’s did the trick. What Remains of Edith Finch was a misstep though, on the emotional levity side at least, it’s a perfect two hour game.