WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Mrs Jazzy treated me to a£15 Nintendo Switch voucher, so I picked up Golf Story. It's an RPG with some basic golf related tasks involved. It's amusing, got a rather British sense of humour and the courses are nice. It's really chilled as well. Amusing little distraction. It also has a little quickplay mode if you want to try any of the courses in the game.

If you liked the original, the remake of Toki: Going Ape Spit is only £0.89 or so on Switch at the minute. I picked it up and it's pretty decent.

Got an XBox One recently and extremely impressed with game pass/ultimate. I've blasted through State Of Decay 2 (Which was my main reason for getting an XBO.) and I'm in the early stages of Forza Horizon 4 which is probably the best driving game I've played since Gran Turismo 6 but I'm completely underwhelmed by the controller and it's response time to input, its too clunky and lagging to keep me playing for a sustained period.

I've tried it wired and otherwise with both performing around the same. Does anyone else with an XBO struggle with it? 

Edited by Rule One
Stupid Autocorrect

3 hours ago, Rule One said:

Got an XBox One recently and extremely impressed with game pass/ultimate. I've blasted through State Of Decay 2 (Which was my main reason for getting an XBO.) and I'm in the early stages of Forza Horizon 4 which is probably the best driving game I've played since Gran Turismo 6 but I'm completely underwhelmed by the controller and it's response time to input, its too clunky and lagging to keep me playing for a sustained period.

I've tried it wired and otherwise with both performing around the same. Does anyone else with an XBO struggle with it? 

While it's not something I've experienced on either the Xbox One or Series S, but I know a friend of mine had similar issues. I'm pretty sure he ended up returning the console for a refund (it was a Series S and the store didn't have the supply to replace it). 

• Paid Members

@Rule One I'd say look into the elite controller and see whether that's any better, but at £160 for a new one it's maybe a touch extreme. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

5 hours ago, Rule One said:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-xbox-one-auto-low-latency-mode

This could help, too.

@RedRooster @jazzygeofferz @CleetusVanDamme @Merzbow

Thank you for your help/replies. Switching the settings has certainly helped but it's not as responsive compared to a PS4/5. 

Forza is playing much better now, I even tried using a steering setup on it but the gear changes were horrific. (Or I'm a shit driver.) If they could somehow nail the handling down like Gran Turismo has always done this would be the best console driving game by a long shot. 

• Paid Members

Forza Horizon leans a little more towards the arcadey casual side of driving as regards the handling etc. If you want something with more realism, but still a Forza title you should check out Forza Motorsport. The latest one is 7, but I hear the career mode has some grindy lootboxy/microtransaction baiting elements to it. For some more serious sim racing there's Project Cars, although I hear again the latest one is a little more arcadey than the previous iterations, or Asetto Corsa.

• Paid Members

Finished Final Fantasy VII Remake last night. 

Spoiler

It was solid. In terms of taking the original and fleshing it out, it was mostly successful. There's a lot more character depth, and some of the new characters are welcome additions such as Leslie, the Wall Market 3, and Chadley. Some of the others like Roche and Kyrie are dreadful anime tropes and have some of the hammiest voice acting in a game already crammed with it.  I cared a lot more about Cloud and Aerith, Avalanche, Barret and Marlene to name a few, purely because of how much more time is devoted to fleshing out the relationships. Aerith especially gets a lot more time to shine, as do Avalanche.

Midgar is still boring, as it was in the original. It's brown, grey and green throughout. They do a decent job in colouring up the places they can though, like Aerith's House and Wall Market. The premise of a game set in the part of FFVII I didn't like and stretched out for 40 hours was a tough sell, but they do it well and after playing this, I feel going back to the original will be a breeze because it'll be 1/5 as long.

The Boss fights are truly epic and some of them are a heap of fun to fight, like The Arsenal and Harbringer of Fate. Some are good ideas badly executed, like the Turk fights and Hell House. Sadly the battle system isn't as flawless as it could be and it results in a few fights where your openings are wasted because you constantly have no ATB bar, or are stunlocked out of taking a turn. It's still miles above Final Fantasy XV though which was a really shoddy version of this with no finesse. Overall the combat won me over when I went in with a negative attitude. 

The Materia/Equip system is hit and miss. There's too many times you need to chop and change all your materia, swap your weapons and reslot everything, swap materia between characters. I do like the way you level materia up, but for me Final Fantasy IX's ability system will always be king. In fairness to this game though, the weapon unique abilities work like FFIX where after using them so many times you perma-learn them so that was good.

The open-world style side mission bits are a complete dud. Go find these kids, go find these cats. It's crap and has no place in the game. Could have used this space to add more to the game, flesh other parts out, or if you have to include it don't make it so half-arsed. The only side mission I enjoyed was the Colisseum because that's got good prizes to earn and feels right as part of the game.

In regards to the story itself, I'm torn. I don't like the addition of Whispers and using them as a lazy excuse to do things like pretend to kill Barret or constantly stop people doing things. I'd rather the story played out naturally. I also didn't like how they made you fight One-Winged Angel Sephiroth this early in the game purely as an excuse to put him in. Felt incredibly lazy and stinks of a lack of confidence they'll ever reach the actual end themselves so put him in as damage control.
I also don't like the implications of them basically confirming this isn't a straight remake, but almost a meta self-aware remake where they're going to change everything. I don't mind adding new side characters or extending events such as Shinra blowing up their own reactor to start a war, but throwing everything out the window and saying "there is no fate, we'll do what we want" is a bit daunting because Square Enix have no control with shit like this and I'm worried it's going to become Kingdom Hearts.

The reason I'm torn, is because despite not liking what they've done, they at least did it well. The Sephiroth fight was fun, just in the wrong place. The whispers were crap, but they provided some interesting moments and the image of Midgar covered in them was pretty cool. I would have definitely preferred the story to be a more direct remake though. 

Overall, it was a fun game. It dragged in places but was exhilarating in others. I liked the characters and boss fights, but Midgar is as dull and lifeless as ever. The battle system was better than I expected but not without faults. I have almost zero confidence this game will get a sequel any time soon, if at all, and fighting Sephiroth at the end of this didn't give me any more confidence. It felt like a one and done by the time the end rolled around and while it was worth playing, I still maintain it wasn't worth full price because it's still a stretched out part of another game, regardless of how well executed it is.