WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

This is news to me, having only played it in handheld mode...

Oh jeez I don’t know how you did it, I went from TV to Handheld a few times when my Wife wanted the TV and I could barely look at it for more than 10 minutes. It looks gorgeous on tv but you lose most of it in handheld and the menuing was a nightmare of squinting and scrolling.

Apparently it ran better handheld at launch but got patched to match it docked so to be fair I wouldn’t be shocked if a few people did it handheld. I couldn’t get away with it though, and considering how much better it looks and sounds on a TV with a pro controller, I’m not sure why anyone would play it handheld other than through necessity.

• Paid Members

I grabbed a Switch Lite off the bat, it's done me fine. I could do with a case for it at some point in the event that travel is allowed, but it's fine for what I use it for, which is not clearing my ever growing backlog of Pokémon games on 3DS (and now Switch). 

It’s funny because it’s such a beautiful game that you probably should only play it on a tv to take it at its full glory but it just feels so good to play it handheld. I think a lot of it has to do with the shrines. Perfect length for a long dump. I heard that Links Awakening is the opposite and runs like shit docked.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Oh jeez I don’t know how you did it, I went from TV to Handheld a few times when my Wife wanted the TV and I could barely look at it for more than 10 minutes. It looks gorgeous on tv but you lose most of it in handheld and the menuing was a nightmare of squinting and scrolling.

Apparently it ran better handheld at launch but got patched to match it docked so to be fair I wouldn’t be shocked if a few people did it handheld. I couldn’t get away with it though, and considering how much better it looks and sounds on a TV with a pro controller, I’m not sure why anyone would play it handheld other than through necessity.

It might be because I've never played it on a TV so I don't know what I'm missing. Perhaps if I did I'd find myself unable to go back...

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It might be because I've never played it on a TV so I don't know what I'm missing. Perhaps if I did I'd find myself unable to go back...

Yeah I think I'm biased as I went TV to Docked, so maybe "unplayable" was harsh of me as some of you have proven it's incredibly playable.

@Mr_DangerLink's Awakening has a slight stutter moving between some screen transitions but I wouldn't say it runs like shit. It's certainly not impressive considering it's a Nintendo game though.

• Paid Members

I've heard it's a touch demanding. 

I think the thing with the third party AAA ports is that they're usually ported with the intention of a decent experience in handheld mode. I did contemplate picking up Outer Worlds on Switch when I saw it heavily discounted, but I don't think I would have been able to read any of the text. 

I view Switch as a handheld console with the abilty to play on a TV as the Nintendo Gimmick, It's one up from the 3DS rather than the Wii U.

I haven't noticed that bad performance in handheld mode either, could be you have a weird overheating issue which I heard about in early shipped consoles. 3rd party AAA ports are usually shipped off to inexperienced overseas teams for little money and rushed, games like Alien Isolation are proof that a good team and a bit more time can make a fucking beautiful port for the console that actually has some better graphical features. It completely pisses on the PS3 and 360 ports and hangs with last gen versions.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I think I must have a completely different Switch console than everyone else as I’ve never had any problems with my JoyCons (I got my console on launch day), I’ve played hundreds of hours on BoTW in handheld and have noticed no difference at all to when it’s docked and I thought Mario Odyssey is the worst Mario game I’ve played. There’s absolutely nothing remarkable about it at all and was just so sparse.

I found Odyssey never really opened up until you finished the main game and you unlock all the extra moons.

Thanks for all the advice, lads. This is helpful. I think you've just about managed to sell me on getting a Switch as I want to get BotW/Super Mario Odyssey/Mario Kart/Pokemon Sword or Shield, although I'm now a lot more cognisant of the potential limitations or flaws of the console!

Some great gaming minds here!

On 3/30/2021 at 5:29 PM, Merzbow said:

Didn't they turn him into a both sidesing centrist or some shit? I remember some backlash from commies.

On 3/30/2021 at 5:53 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Ah fuck it. We can never have nice things. 

Now I’ve ended up in World War One and you’ve got to do missions for Churchill? Fuck this!!  They had better make the next one in 1917 Russia and you aid the revolution. 

26 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Now I’ve ended up in World War One and you’ve got to do missions for Churchill? Fuck this!!  They had better make the next one in 1917 Russia and you aid the revolution. 

There's one set around then but it was one of those weird sidescrolling games they were pumping out for a while that no-one bought, I think the others were set in China and India.

• Paid Members

I know the ones you mean. They were called Assassin's Credd Chronicles and were stealth puzzle platformers. They were alright, I think I got them all through Games With Gold, likewise most of the rest of the Assassin's Creed games.

I had a really good trot through Tekken 7 tonight as that new massive Thai Boxer guy Fahkumram. He's got a decent range,a lot of power and a surprising turn of speed for some of his moves. I just played against the CPU but ended up winning about 40 on the bounce in that Treasure battle mode. Might chance my arm online tomorrow after work, or Friday evening. Some of the other new characters look interesting as well.