WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Karl Marx

I’m playing Assassins Creed Syndicate and one of the side mission threads is for Karl Marx. Of course I’ll burn down the factory that is exploiting the workforce for you, King!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Sounds like something Ubisoft would do to try and avoid having politics in its games. 

Watch Dogs Legion is pretty political based on the trial I played last weekend to be fair. 

I think I might pick up the full version. I loved travelling across London. Given it's obviously a condensed version, they've done a pretty good job with the map. I found my pre-lockdown office (well, a different looking office in its place) and got all emotional that the church and school opposite looked exactly the same as they do in real life. I quite like the gameplay too, like a GTA/CyberPunk/Far Cry hybrid.

• Paid Members

Don't let Ubisoft hear you accusing them of being political. Watch_Dogs is the exception rather than the rule. 

Hoping for some Nintendo advice from you guys...

I've been trying for weeks to get a PS5 without any luck. The long story short: I've been a PlayStation guy almost exclusively since the PS2 but I adored the SNES/N64 etc growing up. I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on YouTube with regards to Nintendo games and it occurred to me that now that I'm a fully functioning adult with income, I can actually afford to have more than one console.

I'm looking for Nintendo recommendations: what console/games should I get? Is the Switch worth it? I'm not that interested in going ages back in time to the DS/Gamecube or anything, so current gen would be preferable. I liked Mario/Zelda/Mario Kart games: are there essential releases that I should get? Any other AAA titles to speak of?

Apologies for the learned helplessness here, but curious to seek your views! Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mario Odyssey is one of the greatest Mario games ever, I have been a huge Mario fan since the Nes days and Odyssey just continued to blow me away, some real WOW moments towards the end.

BotW is considered one of the greatest games this generation.

Mario kart is absoulty brilliant, especially for Multiplayer. Mario party is also great Multiplayer, great way to kill time on a lazy afternoon.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics is a real fun title with a really clever story mode which mixes current Nintendo/Sega characters with their 8 Bit counterparts. Seriously underrated title.

The rereleases of Mario U and Mario 3D World are also worth picking up.

• Paid Members

The Switch benefits and suffers from the same thing every Nintendo console has since the SNES in that it has almost flawless first party games and then nothing else, so once you've played those it sits collecting dust (unless you choose to play indie titles on this rather than your other console). 

It's also crammed with Wii U Ports, so if you had one of those you're going to be paying premium for the same titles. 

• Paid Members

Well, 370 hours later...it is finished. Kingdom Come Deliverance is the most astoundingly immersive, beautiful, historically accurate game I've ever played. There's a post-credit scene that really brought the man feelings too. Hats off to Warhorse for a truly remarkable creation. It's all set up for a sequel so really really really hope that the rumours are true and Kingdom Come 2 is on its way.

That was just fucking magnificent from start to finish. Even the DLCs were top class. Highly recommended to anyone who likes medieval history and open-world games. 

• Paid Members

Switch is good. The first party lineup is good, but there are some decent indie titles in there as well, but like the Wii & Wii U there's a LOT of shovelware on there to wade through to find the gems, including some ports of mobile games that have been ported to try and make the most of the touch screen in handheld mode. If you have a taste for retro stuff there are some great titles  under the Sega Ages name from M2, some Data East arcade ports in the Johnny Turbo arcade collection, ACA Neo Geo & Arcade Archives from Hamster Corporation, some Neo Geo Pocket Colour ports and compilations on there as well. A few AAA titles are on there as well, although graphical fidelity has been sacrificed in place of stable performance in a few instances. The Outer Worlds is supposed to be really good on there now that it's been patched, likewise the last few Doom titles, and the new one is supposed to be on its way. I don't know whether Gamepass is actually going to end up on there as has been rumoured for a while, but there's definitely plenty to go at. 

• Paid Members

Two big things to watch out for on the Switch as well are that the Joycons will drift on you, could be in a few months, could be a year, but they will do it and it's not covered by any sort of extended warranty, only the one you got with wherever you bought it. Nintendo require the system be sent to them for any repairs too, so if you do get drift you will need to send the entire thing back, or at the very least the console without the dock. The returns I get at work for them are a ballache.

The other thing is, as Jazzy touched on, a lot of games including first party games run like shit on handheld, even though it's the main selling point of the console. BoTW for example is almost unplayable handheld because it runs at lower FPS and there's way too much going on to fit it all on that tiny screen. A few games as well require or make us of motion controls, e.g. Mario Party, so they won't run handheld at all. 
The games that play best handheld are the ones you usually find on handheld devices, so Mario Kart, Pokemon, Indie Games, Zelda Link's Awakening, Animal Crossing, etc.

In regards to ports of 3rd Party titles, I wouldn't bother. If you have a Switch and another console and you buy the likes of Doom, Outer Worlds, Skyrim, etc on the Switch, you've made a poor choice.

Oh another thing too, there are no native wireless headsets for switch without some sort of 3rd party adapter and workaround, nor is there a wired headset port on the controllers, nor is there any sort of even slightly good online functionality for party chat, matchmaking, etc. If you want to play Mario Kart for example with a friend online and chat to them, you need to add each other with a friend code, then both download the Nintendo Chat app on your phones and either chat on loudspeaker or use a headset on your phone and miss out on the sound from the Switch. There is no direct inviting friends to games through the console, and some of the more popular titles such as Smash Bros have such a disgustingly bad online you wonder why they even included it. Animal Crossing, despite being based around visiting each other does it in such a complicated and slow way that disconnects everyone constantly, you'll eventually give up on that too.

I do like the Switch, and I'm not trying to put you off getting one, but the pros and cons list look something like this:

Pros:

Fantastic 1st Party Titles
Portable
Good range of offline multiplayer games

Cons:

Completely outdated and barely functioning online system
Littered with shovelware
AAA Titles run like shit compared to other consoles
No Voice Chat, headphones can only be used wired and undocked unless you have a massive wire
The controllers are a guaranteed break that are only covered in your original warranty, from there it's paying £70 to replace them because you can't buy solo controllers
Don't expect any price drops or sales on par with other consoles. 1st Party games never lower much in value, and a sale is WAS £54.99 NOW £52.99

This is a machine to play Single Player Nintendo games on, and when lockdown is over, have friends and family play offline with you. 3rd Party AAA titles are a bust, online is a bust, and unless you supplement it with indie games or ports, you will run out of games fast and it will just collect dust. That being said, the 1st party games are worth the price of admission alone and it's still popular so it's getting decent releases throughout the year. I know it sounds like I'm being harsh, but Nintendo dropped the ball on a bunch of stuff.