WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

18 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Yeah I'll pick it up for free but the thought of paying full price for a part of a remake that likely won't even get finished left a bad taste in my mouth.

You’re still getting 30 plus hours of gameplay with current/next gen assets. It’s not like Nintendo releasing direct ports of old games with input and hd tweaks and charging £50 for them.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

You’re still getting 30 plus hours of gameplay with current/next gen assets. It’s not like Nintendo releasing direct ports of old games with input and hd tweaks and charging £50 for them.

Yeah but it's not a full game. In terms of scope, it's not even 1/3rd of Final Fantasy 7 from what I heard. Doesn't the game end before you even leave Midgar and get into the World Map? PS5 is out now as well and those games are £60-70. So you'd be paying around £200 for one game. If they ever release the other parts.

3 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Yeah but it's not a full game. In terms of scope, it's not even 1/3rd of Final Fantasy 7 from what I heard. Doesn't the game end before you even leave Midgar and get into the World Map? PS5 is out now as well and those games are £60-70. So you'd be paying around £200 for one game. If they ever release the other parts.

It’s not one game though it’s one remade story over however many games they make. You’d never take that attitude with remade films, expecting them to be cheaper because you’ve already experienced the original concept. 

Personally I’d be more bothered if there was enough game for your money. I’ve never played a FF game and only bothered with the demo on the remake but if they’ve padded it out with enough content to warrant a AAA full priced game and the reviews were all pretty much positive then it’s hard to argue it’s value.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

It’s not one game though it’s one remade story over however many games they make. You’d never take that attitude with remade films, expecting them to be cheaper because you’ve already experienced the original concept. 

Personally I’d be more bothered if there was enough game for your money. I’ve never played a FF game and only bothered with the demo on the remake but if they’ve padded it out with enough content to warrant a AAA full priced game and the reviews were all pretty much positive then it’s hard to argue it’s value.

Films are completely different to games as consumable media though and much much cheaper. "It's not one game, it's a remade story over however many games" is such a bollocks reasoning. They've taken a game everyone wanted a remake of, split it into multiple parts and then charged full price for it. It's a cash grab.
Even if you go down the "enough game for your money" route, the first part of the remake isn't even half as long as the original PS1 game.
I wouldn't buy "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Part 1" for £54.99. Especially if I had no faith they'd ever finish the sequels, because Square Enix have a dreadful track record of Final Fantasy production waits. I mean this part alone took 5 years. Final Fantasy XV took 10 years.

If people want to buy it and feel they got their money's worth then that's on them, but buying an RPG remake in full price parts, from a company I have no faith will even finish it any time soon, if at all, just feels like a huge con to me.

Edited by FelatioLips

55 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

PS5 owners are also getting the new Oddworld game in April for free with PS Plus.

I'm really pleased with the quality of PS Plus games recently. From Fall Guys, to Bugsnax, to Destruction All-Stars, I've wound up spending more time playing them than I have most games that I've paid money for.

Edited by RedRooster

It's the first time I've watched a State of Play so I was quite excited but it did feel fairly underwhelming.

The new Oddworld being part of PS Plus was a nice touch though.

The FF7 thing has certainly sparked some debate. As someone that hasn't played it before I'm tempted. The hardcore fanbase seems divided between being willing to pay for absolutely anything and feeling a bit ripped off by the whole thing.

16 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Films are completely different to games as consumable media though and much much cheaper. "It's not one game, it's a remade story over however many games" is such a bollocks reasoning. They've taken a game everyone wanted a remake of, split it into multiple parts and then charged full price for it. It's a cash grab.
Even if you go down the "enough game for your money" route, the first part of the remake isn't even half as long as the original PS1 game.
I wouldn't buy "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Part 1" for £54.99. Especially if I had no faith they'd ever finish the sequels, because Square Enix have a dreadful track record of Final Fantasy production waits. I mean this part alone took 5 years. Final Fantasy XV took 10 years.

If people want to buy it and feel they got their money's worth then that's on them, but buying an RPG remake in full price parts, from a company I have no faith will even finish it any time soon, if at all, just feels like a huge con to me.

I dunno man, even if they do dump the rest of the series people will still have consumed X amount of media for a price that I would consider fair. If you buy a brand new blu ray for £20 are you getting potentially 60 hours of use from it? Obviously you will decide what is the best use of your money but talking generally, even if they have portioned off a small amount of the original game and remapped it to make up a full game it’s still a full game that most people had a positive experience with. It’d be different if you were only getting 6 hours of game play but they’re obviously doing something different with the story.

13 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

FFVIIR is one of my favourite games from last gen.

Still though an extended cut this close to the original release is taking the piss imo.

People will buy it though. 

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression it was available as a free upgrade to people who own the original release?

12 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression it was available as a free upgrade to people who own the original release?

I'm pretty confused tbh. 

At first I thought it was a stand alone PS5 exclusive, then read that it's also on PS4 and free to upgrade to PS5. 

Now I'm reading that it's DLC.

3 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

I'm pretty confused tbh. 

At first I thought it was a stand alone PS5 exclusive, then read that it's also on PS4 and free to upgrade to PS5. 

Now I'm reading that it's DLC.

It seemed to me (and the wording is a little unclear) that it's free to owners of the original, but it isn't free if you get hold of the remake through PS Plus. 

Fuck knows, though. As much as I enjoyed the remake, I'm more anxious to play the next episode than I am an extended version of the first. I don't care enough about Yuffie's story to delve into whatever this ends up being. 

FFVII: Intergrade is the name of the enhanced PS5 version and is a free upgrade for anyone who has purchased the PS4 version. The PS Plus rumoured free copy will not be able to be upgraded to the new PS5 version. The Yuffie DLC is not free and can only be purchased by anyone who has upgraded to the PS5 version, it is not available for anyone still on the PS4 version.