WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

I know it's Tetris and there isn't really a lot more to be said, but Tetris Effect really is a beautiful thing.

It really is. I just hit level 50, unlocked the "secret" stage, and still don't see myself getting bored of it any time soon. Just a perfect tweak on the formula.

On 11/10/2020 at 10:37 PM, The King Of Swing said:

Yakuza Like a Dragon. 

So Yakuza is now a turn based JRPG and it's gloriously bonkers even by Yakuza standards. 

Love it so far. 

Just started chapter 4 and really enjoying it so far, but I'm hoping the game will stop holding my hand soon. It's been nearly 8 hours and I still feel like I'm in some sort of extended tutorial. Also, the story and characters are great and everything, but the cutscenes go on a bit, don't they?

Chapter 4 is roughly where the training wheels start to come off.

I'm on chapter 10 and there was some points leading up to that story wise which tested my patience. 

Uneven pacing has always been an issue with the series imo, I usually take a break from the story and muck about with side content to break things up. 

Yakuza 0 is still the gold standard to me.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Some of these games are on Game Pass. Having never played any of them, can you just jump in to any of them?

I’ve just started playing them recently and have finished 0, Kiwami 1 and 2. Absolutely recommend starting at 0. Not only because it’s arguably the best one, but not a lot will make sense if you start elsewhere.

EDIT: I should point out 0 is chronologically the first one and part of the Game Pass lot. Kiwami 1 is a remake of 1 using 0’s engine, Kiwami 2 is a remake of 2 using I believe 6’s engine.

Edited by FelatioLips

On 11/11/2020 at 9:21 AM, BrodyGraham said:

I know it's Tetris and there isn't really a lot more to be said, but Tetris Effect really is a beautiful thing.

Are you playing with or without VR? I want to play it but I’m weak and worried it’ll stoke my VR curiosity until I eventually buy one and throw up every 5 minutes like a stupid baby.

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Some of these games are on Game Pass. Having never played any of them, can you just jump in to any of them?

0 is a prequel which makes it a great starting point. There are some moments that long time fans will get but nothing to worry about. 

Only downside is going from 0 to Kiwami feels like a step backwards because Kiwami is a remake of the original Yakuza which is obviously the smallest game, though there is some new content. 

Kiwami 2 uses the new engine so plays differently to older games and to be honest I much prefer the old combat.

Long story short, as far as story goes play them in order 0, K1, K2. 

Edit. 

Jim Stirling did a decent video on 0 and Kiwami. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Are you playing with or without VR? I want to play it but I’m weak and worried it’ll stoke my VR curiosity until I eventually buy one and throw up every 5 minutes like a stupid baby.

Without. I got it as part of Game Pass on XB1. I wouldn't dare try it in VR. My brain would pour out of my ears.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

0 is a prequel which makes it a great starting point. There are some moments that long time fans will get but nothing to worry about. 

Only downside is going from 0 to Kiwami feels like a step backwards because Kiwami is a remake of the original Yakuza which is obviously the smallest game, though there is some new content. 

Kiwami 2 uses the new engine so plays differently to older games and to be honest I much prefer the old combat.

Yeah I'll echo this. Kiwami in some aspects felt like a step back from 0 but I did enjoy the simplicity of some of it, as 0 at times can feel like there's too much to do. Kiwami 2 looks astonishingly good in places, but for some reason completely simplifies the combat to where it's just mashing two buttons as opposed to the 4 styles you can swap between in the last two.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Cheers @FelatioLipsand @The King Of Swing will give zero a go!  Did download Jedi Fallen Order from EA Play so that might take priority for the time being!

I've just done the same thing, played about an hour or so and enjoying it so far. I'm crap at these games but the hook of a Star Wars story might mean that I try to persevere with it a little longer than I normally would before getting frustrated and forgetting all about it.