WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

So I decided to upgrade to the PS Plus Extra tier a few weeks back and I’ve nearly finished Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Its a great game that could have been a masterpiece if the combat wasn't so boring.

Great Soundtrack, great dialogue, I hope it gets a sequel in the future 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

So I decided to upgrade to the PS Plus Extra tier a few weeks back and I’ve nearly finished Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Its a great game that could have been a masterpiece if the combat wasn't so boring.

Great Soundtrack, great dialogue, I hope it gets a sequel in the future 

Exactly my feelings. The characters were well done, the story was decent, but the combat was so, so boring. I even put it down to easy and it still took fucking ages to finish some battles. 

• Paid Members

I'm playing Dragon Quest XI at the moment - I just finished my FF7 replay (bar beating Emerald & Ruby Weapon - the missus was getting annoyed by constant repetition of the battle music, and wanted to see the ending, so I agreed to finish the game and then only go back to grinding for levels and beating them while she's out), and was jonesing for another JRPG, so made the rare decision of branching out to one I actually hadn't played before.

It's incredibly twee, and very simplistic, which I hope improves in time. The battle system hasn't got any more complicated than "just spam one attack", and nothing's been remotely challenging yet, while the story is as generic JRPG as it gets, but it has something special about it I can't quite put my finger on. Every character has a horrendous approximation of a regional accent, which is always a laugh.

6 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'm playing Dragon Quest XI at the moment - I just finished my FF7 replay (bar beating Emerald & Ruby Weapon - the missus was getting annoyed by constant repetition of the battle music, and wanted to see the ending, so I agreed to finish the game and then only go back to grinding for levels and beating them while she's out), and was jonesing for another JRPG, so made the rare decision of branching out to one I actually hadn't played before.

It's incredibly twee, and very simplistic, which I hope improves in time. The battle system hasn't got any more complicated than "just spam one attack", and nothing's been remotely challenging yet, while the story is as generic JRPG as it gets, but it has something special about it I can't quite put my finger on. Every character has a horrendous approximation of a regional accent, which is always a laugh.

I really enjoyed it, but I couldn't tell you for a second what the story was - 12-months later, I've completely forgotten. In spite of that, I still feel very positively towards the game. I couldn't be stuffed with the post-game content though, it dragged things out that little bit more than I was willing to persist with. 

As far as Dragon Quest games go, I'd highly recommend Dragon Quest Builders 2 - it's a cross between Dragon Quest, Minecraft and Stardew Valley and it's a lot of fun to play; a very nice timewaster. 

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Same, I adore the gorgeous Toriyama designs of Dragon Quest but none of them bar VIII have stood out to me. I don't get much of the series hype, it's maybe just too trad-JRPG for me and I like something weirder.

Isn't the series one of the OG JRPG's from back in the day? To be honest I also couldn't get into VIII or IX.

Shin Megami Tensei and it's spin-offs have basically made most turn based JRPG's redundant to me.