WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

Just now, Mr_Danger said:

Are Steam Decks easily attainable now? My little lad killed his and his sisters Switches then he killed the replacement Switch (mine). I don’t fancy replacing my Switch until BotW 2 come out.

Yeah, there's no waiting list at the moment but they've said they might have to go back to the old reservation system.

3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about this kind of stuff, how's the pricing on games for it?

@Matthewand @Merzbow are right - although the most expensive model is quite expensive, it’s worked out pretty economical for me - something new on my Steam wishlist has gone on sale on a daily basis, at ridiculous prices. I’ve just picked up Dishonoured for £1.99, for example - that’s far from unique. The Humble Bundles are an absolute bargain, right now, you can pick up a great bundle, including Deathloop and Monster Train, for just £11.99. Fanatical is also really good, and you get a discount voucher for your next purchase every time you buy a game. As Merzbow said, Game Pass works, although you do need to stream the games. But you can carry on a save from an Xbox seamlessly, which is useful. 

4 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Dumb technical question, I assume the internal ssd doesn't matter if you get/got a good sized SD, so there's nothing much worth going for the high end ones and the basic model does the job? 

Eh, an SD might suffer on more modern AAA titles. Not just load times but streaming assets, too. Although I've not seen any real problems from good quality SD cards so far.

One thing not mentioned so far, it's an emulation beast.

https://retrogamecorps.com/2022/10/16/steam-deck-emulation-starter-guide/

Edited by Merzbow

On 10/22/2022 at 5:53 PM, Tommy! said:

Dumb technical question, I assume the internal ssd doesn't matter if you get/got a good sized SD, so there's nothing much worth going for the high end ones and the basic model does the job? 

For what it's worth, I ran Elden Ring from my SD card and had no issues. The only time I've had issues with the Steam Deck is when I tried to run Sonic Generations with the device unplugged. As soon as I attached the charger it worked just fine. I've no idea why that would be, but it seems to be a consistent problem with that game. 

Robert Kurvitz, the lead writer of Disco Elysium and the author who came up with the entire world in the first place is now suing ZA/UM. He and a few other of the main people behind the game and cultural collective (it wasn't really just a dev team, more a general lefty art collective that were vilified at first) were forced to leave by the investors who wanted to change the entire game side of the company and got in to bed with Amazon etc.

Apparently the company even owns the rights to Robert's original book where a lot of the game came from.

Edited by Merzbow

I just fired up my PS4 to see which digital games I'd bought but not gotten round to downloading yet. Smiling back at me was Donut County, a lovely little game. I know it's lovely because I completed it on my Switch last week. Fuck's sake.

• Paid Members

I'm considering selling my Vita, DS Lite and 2DS, and putting the cash towards getting a SteamDeck because it feels like a one and done handheld. I've read reviews and understand the weight and battery life issues, and I still can't help but feel like it's the be-all end-all for souped-up GameBoys. The fucker can almost play anything, it must be worth all the cash...right? Is there any negative that I'm not considering or have I missed a glaring issue? I barely touch my living room games consoles these days and this seems like an ideal replacement (or at least until I have more free time for such pleasures).