WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

14 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

No. At least not to the extent made out online.

These are home consoles, not PCs. They don’t release games onto it that can’t run properly. I’ve had an S for a while now and it has ran every single game on it no problem.

Will it run better on an X? Likely so, it’s a better console, but the S runs everything the X does.

I love my Series S. I'm essentially using it as a Game Pass machine, but I'm fine with that. I've more than got my money's worth out of it. 

Finished The Last Of Us Part 1 today.

Apart from the better character models there’s nothing much else to make you think this is supposed to be remade from the ground up as they constantly kept stating. 

I found it a lot easier then the other versions of the game too, Roll on November for God Of War Ragnarok

• Paid Members

Finally 109 hours later I beat the True Final Millennium Tower in Yakuza: Like A Dragon. My first Yakuza game. Great time was had but the grind for this challenge was real. Some tense moments on the final fight but I came in super-prepared and somehow did it in first go! 

YakuzaLADPlat3.thumb.jpg.36b1f4bfb1a465e9734e590033e0e73f.jpg

The fact that games are still coming out primarily developed for the Xbox One, PS4 and Switch is a testament to the fact that this current generation hasn't even begun in earnest yet. 

The Series S is a great machine but I don't know how it's possible to look into the future and see anything other than a whole slew of big budget titles that'll require special asterisk status when discussing Series S performance in reviews. Fuck, with the way the industry's going that's probably going to happen with base Series X and PS5s too in three, four years. 

If you're not bothered by it all the more power to you, but it's going to happen. Look at the state Cyberpunk came out in, on its primary systems of promise. Publishers are more than happy to get away with pushing a train wreck out the door on systems they consider long in the tooth and replaceable. 

Yet another slew of updated graphics cards are coming out from both Nvidia and AMD, with the way it's going the current gen consoles will be feeling old soon if you're into the whole graphics thing.

Personally I still don't give a toss about Ray Tracing and all that but many do.

I'm working my way through Weird West on the Steam Deck after picking it up on a weekend deal. I'm really enjoying it so far, and it runs really well. You can also play it on Game Pass, but I was paranoid it would be pulled from the service part way through my playthrough and bought it anyway...

If you're unfamiliar with it, basically it's a top down RPG/twin stick shooter hybrid (although you can turn the twin stick aiming off, as I did) by people involved with Prey and Dishonoured. It's set in a twisted version of the Old West, in which the occult has run wild, and it's really good fun. On top of the main story, there are loads of side-quests. Given that it's on Game Pass (the PC version of it anyway, not sure about the console) it's worth trying out. 

21 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Finally 109 hours later I beat the True Final Millennium Tower in Yakuza: Like A Dragon. My first Yakuza game. Great time was had but the grind for this challenge was real. Some tense moments on the final fight but I came in super-prepared and somehow did it in first go! 

YakuzaLADPlat3.thumb.jpg.36b1f4bfb1a465e9734e590033e0e73f.jpg

Yeah the late game grind in general is pretty brutal as are some difficulty spikes. 

Hopefully the upcoming sequel smooths over the rough edges. 

5 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I'm working my way through Weird West on the Steam Deck after picking it up on a weekend deal. I'm really enjoying it so far, and it runs really well. You can also play it on Game Pass, but I was paranoid it would be pulled from the service part way through my playthrough and bought it anyway...

If you're unfamiliar with it, basically it's a top down RPG/twin stick shooter hybrid (although you can turn the twin stick aiming off, as I did) by people involved with Prey and Dishonoured. It's set in a twisted version of the Old West, in which the occult has run wild, and it's really good fun. On top of the main story, there are loads of side-quests. Given that it's on Game Pass (the PC version of it anyway, not sure about the console) it's worth trying out. 

I liked it until it bugged out on me for the longest time and I just couldn't get back into it after the fix, I should go back at some point as I was at a pretty late game character.

Bouncing between Black Ops Cold War and Vanguard (PS5) multiplayer. 

Having a lot of fun (despite the usual COD MP bollocks) after a long break from the series. 

Cold War just about edges Vanguard out as my current favourite.

Tried Modern Warfare a few times but just couldn't get into it.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Tried Modern Warfare a few times but just couldn't get into it.

I picked up MW yesterday, having played a couple on their first run through on ps3 before they reset, and after it finally installed I've played a few hours today. 

The multiplayer still isn't for me, although not needing Ps plus to play it is nice. I enjoy an fps where there's a team element for balance (which is why I loved bad company and some of the other older Battlefield games and that Vietnam one I picked up on pc) because I'm a bit shit at them but still enjoy playing constructively some how. 

The solo story seems OK but it does feel a bit thin and isn't drawing me in, and so far I'd have rather 1 character on a series of unlinked missions than flitting around inside a boring farming device. I also had to adjust the settings on my TV everything was so dark. 

I also bought a cheap copy of disco elysium online, so I'll finally see if all the hype I've heard is justified when I give it a try next week. 

Also did they sort out the latest gran Turismo in the end and if so I assume it's now worth picking up? 

Edited by Tommy!

13 hours ago, Tommy! said:

(which is why I loved bad company and some of the other older Battlefield games and that Vietnam one I picked up on pc) 

Suicide bombing tanks on the Vietnam expansion (Bad Company 2 I think?) are some of my happiest gaming memories. 

Outside of that though the Battlefield MP has never really clicked with me. Just can't get on with maps and progression always feels like a ball ache to me. 

I had an original PS4 until I upgraded to a PS5 a few months back and there were definitely games it was struggling on. It'd crash every 10 minutes during No Man's Sky. I'd imagine the same would happen with the base consoles this generation. You're still going to be able to play games near the end of it's run but it might struggle.

I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon though. A lot of gaming companies are still going to be making games to (barely) run on the last generation so I don't think they'll be pushing the limits of this generation yet.