WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I think the only video game adaptation that could really get me interested if Disco Elysium but that would take one hell of a director, the writing in that pisses on most TV.

I don't even know how a Disco Elysium adaption would even work. It'd be either the absolute best or worst thing ever made. There would be no middle ground. I don't think an actor exists that could make Kim Kitsuragi as lovable as he is in the game.

After playing, and loving, Return to Monkey Island, I decided to revisit Curse of Monkey Island; a game I don’t remember particularly well. It feels like a completely different game than the original two, and although I’m enjoying it, the solutions to most of the puzzles are so obtuse that it’s either a case of trial and error, or simply referring to a walkthrough.

For all Steam Deck owners, I’m playing it on that, and even though it’s down as unsupported, it plays great. 

• Paid Members

I love Curse of Monkey Island, it's the one I've played the most bar 1. It's actually Monkey Island 2 that, while brilliant, I find most difficult in terms of understanding the logic of the puzzles - my girlfriend's playing it at the moment (waiting for her to finish before I start on Return), and there are points when I've just had to say, "honestly, you're never going to figure this out, this is what you have to do", from very early on in the game. 

Though Curse has different difficulty settings, and the harder one basically just adds an extra step in every puzzle, which can be frustrating. I tried playing Discworld 2 a while back, which has aged horribly and is a prime example of the "use every item with everything" school of puzzle-solving, but it at least has one nice touch, which is rather than just saying things don't work, sometimes Rincewind will say, "that's good, but not just yet" to let you know that you're at least thinking on the right lines. It's a similar frustration with the Ace Attorney games, where you figure out what the solution is, but you still need to get everything in the right order to win.

I always think of point-and-click puzzles as like a cryptic crossword clue - if the solution brings the clue into perfect clarity, then it's great, if you still don't understand the clue after being given the solution, it's badly made. 

6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Wasn't it Monkey Island 2 that had a stupidly hard to work out puzzle with drinks right at the start?

It’s not right at the beginning, but there’s a puzzle where you have to mix drinks to win a spitting competition, if that’s what you’re remembering? 

In retrospect the everything and the kitchen sink approach of V ain't got shit on IV. It was a game changer at the time and a massive deal. I was still in school and the conversations the days after release weren't about mad crime sprees, they were about how if you bunped off someone they dropped what they were holding. 

Plus as a huge fan of muddy brown looking games of all kinds, IV is an all time great. 

30 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I was still in school and the conversations the days after release weren't about mad crime sprees, they were about how if you bunped off someone they dropped what they were holding

I spent aaaages bumping into people and then lobbing their dropped coffee at their swedes, entertained me for weeks, that did. It was better than going bowling with your cousin, that’s for sure.