WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Appreciate the advice.

I'm 100% a low tech redneck so half the fancy stuff, 4K, frame rate and all that jazz is lost on me. I just want something that's gonna last me another 6/8 years without needing to upgrade. The lack of a disc drive and fairly small storage space is quite off putting though. 

Maybe I'll wait to see what deals pop up during the Amazon/Black Friday madness. 

There was a report that the S was holding back the Dying Light 2 developers, they had to cut back far too much just to get it ready for the system. But then Dying Light 2 is a performance mess regardless so that could just be on their own engine more than the system.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I've read that expandable storage for the Xbox series S can be very pricey and in some cases actually cost more than the Series X. I've just been having a look on Amazon and there are 500gig storage devices going for about £30 that are apparently compatible:

https://amzn.eu/d/3EkrRfB

What's the deal here? Would something like this work? 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

I had a non-SSD hard drive connected to my Series and it works for older games that aren't optimised for Series-S/X but not the newer games. If you have Gamepass, chances are you will be playing games that won't need the SSD.

24 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

I've read that expandable storage for the Xbox series S can be very pricey and in some cases actually cost more than the Series X. I've just been having a look on Amazon and there are 500gig storage devices going for about £30 that are apparently compatible:

https://amzn.eu/d/3EkrRfB

What's the deal here? Would something like this work? 

I wouldn’t bother with anything less than 1tb, you said you wanted 7 or 8 years use out if it and the way things are going 500gb will probably get you half way through a Call of Duty in 5 years time. I know the price of the storage for PS5 was almost as expensive as the console itself.

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

This was my understanding. It was explained to me that Xboxes are basically gaming PCs, and there's no porting required, but newer games will work better on the higher end consoles because the hardware is better. 

When you see "smart delivery" when buying an Xbox game, I think that means its playable on Xbox One, Xbox One X, Series S and Series X. The performance and resolution will scale to whatever hardware you are using.

There are very few games that are exclusively playable on the S and X. As far as I know its only games where the SSD technology is a requirement rather than just a convenience - The Medium for example. 

2 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Even after I got a PS5, I used the Series S way more than that.

Yeah, same. 

I know the PlayStation's strength is in its first party titles but I only picked one up quite recently (it's somewhat disgusting having both, I know, but they're essentially coping purchases from money saved sobering up and I work on this daft, ultimately-losing-out model where I'm forever trading stuff back in) and honestly, browsing on it and looking for old bangers to play is still so severely limited compared with Xbox. 

I get that Sony are in this position of arrogance where they don't particularly need to try really hard to curate their back catalogue but it's still a shame. Hopefully we're not too far off the days when you can just log into PS+ and know you can whizz through entire back catalogues for Tekken, Wipeout etc. 

There's even franchises that I'd still consider PlayStation identikit like MGS and Final Fantasy that are way, way better to access on Xbox. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

23 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Series S is great if you ask me. I had one from not long after launch until earlier this year. For the price point, Series S + Game Pass ultimate is a great deal. Even after I got a PS5, I used the Series S way more than that.

I barely use my PS5, to the point I've considered selling it several times. If it wasn't for the fact I have all of the Jackbox Party Packs on there, and the prospect of Spider-Man 2 and The Last of Us 3, I definitely would have by now. 

• Paid Members

I've kept my Series X longing at bay, despite the fact that I really really really really want one. What keeps me sane is the fact that my gaming time is at an all-time low, what with family life and work being my focal point these days. I just can't justify going all out on the latest modern console if I can't play the big guns for extended sessions like I used to; I doubt that Elden Ring is any good when you're playing it in two hour bursts twice a week. It's hard enough playing Batman: Arkham City that way! Been plugging through that for ages and I've only just got to the middle portion where you switch to Cat Woman for a bit.

• Paid Members

Just to update, I found a deal on an Series X for £399. Was thinking about waiting until Black Friday but decided to just go with it as I keep reading they're in and out of stock constantly. 

Crazed anticipation starts. Wish the thing didn't look like a fucking mini fridge though!

Thanks everyone for the advice. 

Congrats on definitely saving yourself a few years of horsepower anxiety, because those "But can Series S run it?" articles are only going to pile up more. 

I love the fridge. You'll find it can slot anywhere once you get it. The PS5 is awful looking, and looks like it belongs on the goofy faux-futuristic set dressing of that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie from the 2000s. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Congrats on definitely saving yourself a few years of horsepower anxiety, because those "But can Series S run it?" articles are only going to pile up more. 

I love the fridge. You'll find it can slot anywhere once you get it. The PS5 is awful looking, and looks like it belongs on the goofy faux-futuristic set dressing of that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie from the 2000s. 

The size is actually causing me a dilemma at the moment. Our TV stand is small and it's not going to fit in there. I thought about just standing it vertically on the carpet but I've read that's not a good idea due to dust etc so I've spent the morning looking for 'tiny tables' to sit it on. Unfortunately, all furniture products need to be vetted by the Mrs to ensure they match our current living room set up. 

A 15x15 black piece of wood which would be unnoticeable seems the best option. 

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

You're probably right, but have there been any problems at all with this so far? I've not personally heard of them, but I'm curious as to whether it exists. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

You're probably right, but have there been any problems at all with this so far? I've not personally heard of them, but I'm curious as to whether it exists. 

No. At least not to the extent made out online.

These are home consoles, not PCs. They don’t release games onto it that can’t run properly. I’ve had an S for a while now and it has ran every single game on it no problem.

Will it run better on an X? Likely so, it’s a better console, but the S runs everything the X does.