WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

3 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I decided to buy an original Xbox over the weekend. It's one console I never had growing up. What would you recommend?

It came with a decent batch of games already;

Reveal hidden contents

Fifa 2003 & 2004

Fifa Street 2

Rallisport Challenge

Conflict: Global Storm

Mercenaries

Fire Blade

Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Project Gotham Racing 1 & 2

Juiced

XIII

Splinter Cell & SC: Pandora Tomorrow

Gun

Sid Meiers Pirates

Rainbow Six: Black Arrow & Rainbow Six: Lockdown

Black

Vexxx

LMA Manager 2005

Forza Motorsport

Tony Hawks Undergound

Full Spectrum Warrior

There's a few there that I remember loving on the PS2, especially THUG, Black and Mercenaries, so I'm looking forwards to getting stuck into them. But are there any lessor-known games I should seek out?

Crimson Skies.

Amped 2. 

Quantum Redshift

Fable.

The Microsoft Sports stuff was all really good at the time, I think it transitioned to being 2k. 3rd party wise Burnout 2 is one of my favourite games ever as is Beyond Good and Evil.

5 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I decided to buy an original Xbox over the weekend. It's one console I never had growing up. What would you recommend?

It came with a decent batch of games already;

Hide contents

Fifa 2003 & 2004

Fifa Street 2

Rallisport Challenge

Conflict: Global Storm

Mercenaries

Fire Blade

Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Project Gotham Racing 1 & 2

Juiced

XIII

Splinter Cell & SC: Pandora Tomorrow

Gun

Sid Meiers Pirates

Rainbow Six: Black Arrow & Rainbow Six: Lockdown

Black

Vexxx

LMA Manager 2005

Forza Motorsport

Tony Hawks Undergound

Full Spectrum Warrior

There's a few there that I remember loving on the PS2, especially THUG, Black and Mercenaries, so I'm looking forwards to getting stuck into them. But are there any lessor-known games I should seek out?

Halo, Fable and I used to love Counterstrike on the original as well. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Cold Fear is a gem. A Resi 4 knock-off on a boat, I love it. A lot of people slept on Total Overdose too, a mad Mexican Max Payne-like shooter that's a lot of fun.

None of the following are lesser known and you might have already caught them on PS2, but I'm going to list them anyway as a reminder that they're now available for you to play/replay: The Punisher, The Warriors, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, Scarface and the three best Bond games are all fire.

Avoid the temptation to try any of the WWE games, they're all trash.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

The Punisher, The Warriors, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks

I loved the punisher & the warriors, such great fun games. 

MK: Monks was a really surprising game in that it's not a strait MK game but is actually really good (mythologies & special forces being the norm to then). I really enjoyed playing it when it was new and most of the MK lore and in jokes likely went over my head. I really should look at replaying it.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

MK: Monks was a really surprising game in that it's not a strait MK game but is actually really good (mythologies & special forces being the norm to then). I really enjoyed playing it when it was new and most of the MK lore and in jokes likely went over my head. I really should look at replaying it.

It's criminal there's no modern port or sequel. I'd love to play it again even solo, but as a co-op experience there's been very few games that have came close to being that fun.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

Just finished Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and while I thought the graphics and voice acting were a bit shit, I quite enjoyed it after really hating it at the very beginning. I just wish it wasn't so short. I reckon I could have finished it in a couple of sittings if I hadn't spent so long pissing around searching for air ducts to sneak in with. It really annoyed me. Maybe skipping through all the cut scenes didn't help but the voice acting was so bad I could sit through it.

Probably my favourite "franchise" ever, the voice acting has always been a bit iffy at points but I enjoy it and think the story is some of the best ever told in games. Adam Jensen's gruff schtick is such an awful trope though, trying to be a Solid Snake but without the charm.

It's not a bad game at all, but I remember at the time thinking that it felt like just a slight new gen lick of paint on Human Revolution, which is absoloute dynamite and something I need to replay. I remember picking it up toward the end of the 360's lifecycle and the rich aesthetic of it blowing me away. 

I also love that really videogamey partial sandbox design it uses. You can cross over to the other section of that street, sure, but you've got to crawl up the vent and out the office window to get there. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

I'm still using my original Xbox One but am thinking of upgrading. Is there any point in getting the Series S at this stage? Or am I better off just going for the series X?

I don't have a 4K TV but the Series X seems the best for future proofing at this stage. 

Series S is great if you ask me. I had one from not long after launch until earlier this year. For the price point, Series S + Game Pass ultimate is a great deal. Even after I got a PS5, I used the Series S way more than that.

I only upgraded to Series X as I had a voucher burning a hole into my pocket.

I also don't think its necessarily the case of developers having to separately develop and port Series S versions of games. A game optimised for the Series S and X consoles is broadly the same with the only real difference being the resolution and framerate options. There's usually some sort of HDR and upscaling wizardry going on that I wont pretend to understand so games like Gears 5, Forza etc. Will still have a "next gen" sheen.

If you are going from an OG Xbox One to a Series S you will definitely notice a big upgrade in speed with the SSD.

Having said all of that, if you are planning on getting a 4K telly and you have the cash then you may as well pay the extra £200 for the Series X. The ability to use discs, the bigger storage and the better display and framerate options are worth the upgrade if money isn't an issue and you game a lot.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I also don't think its necessarily the case of developers having to separately develop and port Series S versions of games. A game optimised for the Series S and X consoles is broadly the same with the only real difference being the resolution and framerate options. There's usually some sort of HDR and upscaling wizardry going on that I wont pretend to understand so games like Gears 5, Forza etc. Will still have a "next gen" sheen.

This was my understanding. It was explained to me that Xboxes are basically gaming PCs, and there's no porting required, but newer games will work better on the higher end consoles because the hardware is better.