Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

I would have thought one particular avenue that would be comparatively easy to sort would be the holiday camps - they're established, structured businesses with extensive presences around the country, so a relevant government body (maybe the Dept. of Business, or the Dept. of Culture & Sport) could go to Butlins, Pontins, Centre Parcs, etc., and say "You will need to start vetting the wrestling companies you book, as some of them are on the Nonce Register".

EDIT: Sorry - yes, I take your point about where to draw the line, though. And no: there is absolutely no need to re-invent the wheel or try and come up with "world-beating" policies. It's about keeping people safe, so just copy and paste existing frameworks.

Edited by Carbomb

14 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I wonder what the HR departments are like in wrestling companies? I'm assuming now every wrestler has to sign up to a code of conduct with one of the larger companies?

HR departments? Most of these companies have a handful of people who help flyer, book venues etc. They don't make enough for departments. From my experience at least. The smaller companies sometimes barely have a company at all. They just pitch up w a ring , book on the fly and do little else. 

Not sure about the likes of LDN etc. If they aren't full time or contracted employees then wrestlers won't need a HR dept. Though I may be wrong. 

Some excellent points from @BomberPat, People do act like this is only a problem in wrestling and not the wide world. Several years after Me Too movement, many actors with allegations are still working in Hollywood, Some British wrestler with very vague allegations works a show and people act like Hitler has just returned form the dead.

I would like to add there seems to be this idea on twitter that all the 'social media ' Companies (ie Progress and all those who want to be like them) are the majority of British Wrestling, where Family Shows are just a small side product, when, in reality, its the complete opposite.

I do find it hard scrolling through Twitter some days with certain accounts acting like British Wrestling began about 4 years ago and the family shows are 'ruining' their latest hipster obsession. I don't know but a very cynical side of me thinks people are just upset because they started to like wrestling about 4 years ago and bought into the propaganda 'wholesome' idea progress etc used to put out and are suddenly upset that a business with roots in carnivals is full of carnies...

Some excellent points from @BomberPat, People do act like this is only a problem in wrestling and not the wide world. Several years after Me Too movement, many actors with allegations are still working in Hollywood, Some British wrestler with very vague allegations works a show and people act like Hitler has just returned form the dead.

I would like to add there seems to be this idea on twitter that all the 'social media ' Companies (ie Progress and all those who want to be like them) are the majority of British Wrestling, where Family Shows are just a small side product, when, in reality, its the complete opposite.

I do find it hard scrolling through Twitter some days with certain accounts acting like British Wrestling began about 4 years ago and the family shows are 'ruining' their latest hipster obsession. I don't know but a very cynical side of me thinks people are just upset because they started to like wrestling about 4 years ago and bought into the propaganda 'wholesome' idea progress etc used to put out and are suddenly upset that a business with roots in carnivals is full of carnies...

Yeah you make an excellent point about imaginary people and total bollocks here

Edited by Cannibal Man

11 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Yeah, only bloody hipsters with their "woke agenda" would be concerned about sexual abuse. It's wrestling innit. Bloody conspiracy against 'oliday camp wrestling. 

In true internet fashion people have take a small sentence out of context....

My point was if you are a long term fan then you have seen the likes of Jimmy Snuka go into hall of fame and Dynamite kid celebrated as a legend etc, the idea of a 'darker side of wrestling' is hardly a bloody shock.

At no point did i defend or try to justify any of the abusers 

my point was if the only wrestling you know is the self proclaimed 'wholesome' Progress etc then to suddenly find out all these brit wres workers who come across so nice on twitter  are actually total assh#les behind the scenes then it's going to come as a big shock, where the more seasoned fan was, sadly, not really surprised.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

In true internet fashion people have take a small sentence out of context....

My point was if you are a long term fan then you have seen the likes of Jimmy Snuka go into hall of fame and Dynamite kid celebrated as a legend etc, the idea of a 'darker side of wrestling' is hardly a bloody shock.

At no point did i defend or try to justify any of the abusers 

my point was if the only wrestling you know is the self proclaimed 'wholesome' Progress etc then to suddenly find out all these brit wres workers who come across so nice on twitter  are actually total assh#les behind the scenes then it's going to come as a big shock, where the more seasoned fan was, sadly, not really surprised.

Ok then. If that's the case 

1) why does it annoy you that they're shocked? Your words from your original post, not anyone cherry picking.

2) what relevance or value does your statement have if all you are saying is that long term fans won't be as shocked, and there's no deeper implication? Surely then it adds nothing to the conversation and it's only really tangentially related and you're grinding some irrelevant axe?

You can't blame people for leaping to conclusions trying to find some meaning in your post, when apparently by your own admission there is none at all and it's a total non sequiter.

Whatever ever way you slice it, that was a shit post that deserved to be jumped on.