Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

Whilst anyone who is found to have acted offensively of course there should be consequences. And at the same time there's a difference between Peter Sutcliffe and a pat on the arse. There are grades of badness and the consequence should fit the crime. Losing your dream job and place in an industry you worked hard to into is a huge consequence. Jail is probably the only worse consequence. 

9 hours ago, David said:

It's not that mad really, is it? I mean, he's 31 and has to do something to earn money I'm guessing? He paid the price by being released from the biggest pro wrestling company in the world. His career and opportunity to earn good money was destroyed, and rightfully so. 

MMA and boxing is full of characters who have done deplorable things, including rape & murder so it shouldn't really surprise anyone. If anything lets hope he's learned his lesson and moves forward with his life as a better person.

Tell that to his victims who could probably bump into him now he's back in Manchester and could relive the experience. Plenty of other jobs around and he decides to be a coach with young women around. Sounds like he's learned his lesson and what is mad is all the people who still follow him online. Plus going on about a lucrative contract. Sure he was on good money but I bet it wasn't over 6 figures and he would have been released by now with all other 205 guys.

Edited by Stop the pigeon

In fairness British boxing doesn't have many of the characters David mentions. It's overly regulated. 

To the point where people who are let out early on good behaviour don't get licensed until their whole sentence is up. Further to this if the boxing boards don't want to be associated with the crime e.g. manslaughter, murder- said people won't get licensed no matter how reformed they are.

Of course there's unlicensed boxing. Yet no ones sneaking in amateur or pro.

MMA is a whole different kettle of fish. As u regulated as wrestling.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:13 PM, Stop the pigeon said:

Tell that to his victims who could probably bump into him now he's back in Manchester and could relive the experience.

So you'd have him do what? Live elsewhere? Be banned from Manchester? And wouldn't they bump into him there if he was working there in another job?

Plenty of other jobs around and he decides to be a coach with young women around.

Is there though? What else would you have him do? Is it the fact he's coaching MMA that annoys you? The fact he'll be working around women? Women work in all manner of jobs now, so he's likely to come into contact with them at some point. As I said above, short of being jailed, which doesn't look likely, he's pretty much paid the price. He's lost his career, and is now pissing about in an MMA gym in Manchester.

Plus going on about a lucrative contract. Sure he was on good money but I bet it wasn't over 6 figures and he would have been released by now with all other 205 guys.

well, it was a lucrative career for him, wasn't it? I doubt he'll be making that kind of money elsewhere.

I'm not quite sure what people think should actually happen to him. Should he be jailed? Yes, I think so. But he's not, so he has to get on with his life. All we can hope is that he's learned his lesson and cleaned up his act. If not, then hopefully he'll see jail the next time he acts inappropriately.

I remember when Ched Evans was going to sign for Oldham and it kicked off. It was on the news on whatever radio station was on and a woman in my office said “Let him play for god sake, what else is he supposed to do”. I said how the call centre in our company were hiring and no experience was necessary as full training would be given, perhaps he could work there? She didn’t want him anywhere near the office and because football was his trade, he should return to that trade. So that’s good news for fans of Animal Hospital knowing Rolferoo should be allowed to do a new series when he’s out, I replied. 

6 hours ago, David said:

So you'd have him do what? Live elsewhere? Be banned from Manchester? And wouldn't they bump into him there if he was working there in another job?

Is there though? What else would you have him do? Is it the fact he's coaching MMA that annoys you? The fact he'll be working around women? Women work in all manner of jobs now, so he's likely to come into contact with them at some point. As I said above, short of being jailed, which doesn't look likely, he's pretty much paid the price. He's lost his career, and is now pissing about in an MMA gym in Manchester.

well, it was a lucrative career for him, wasn't it? I doubt he'll be making that kind of money elsewhere.

I'm not quite sure what people think should actually happen to him. Should he be jailed? Yes, I think so. But he's not, so he has to get on with his life. All we can hope is that he's learned his lesson and cleaned up his act. If not, then hopefully he'll see jail the next time he acts inappropriately.

Yeah it was lucrative contracts but I'm sure he wasn't getting rent, hotels and expenses paid for by WWE so am guessing the money won't set him up for life. Agree plenty of jobs with women around, but obviously has no remorse with moving back to where he caused so much shit. 

Many like him who've done some sick stuff but have gotten away with it and not one has been arrested, to my knowledge. Either the police weren't informed or there's no evidence. All that can be done is to make people aware of what they've all done and hopefully it protects women from having any interaction with them.

19 hours ago, Stop the pigeon said:

Yeah it was lucrative contracts but I'm sure he wasn't getting rent, hotels and expenses paid for by WWE so am guessing the money won't set him up for life.

Yeah, I doubt many guys at his level are set up for life, but it's more than he stands to make anywhere else I'd wager. Especially in Manchester at an MMA gym.

19 hours ago, Stop the pigeon said:

Agree plenty of jobs with women around, but obviously has no remorse with moving back to where he caused so much shit. 

He's from Manchester, no? It's an obvious choice going back to his hometown where I'm guessing he has family and friends. As I said, I don't quite understand what people want him to do? He's admitted his guilt seemingly, the authorities haven't prosecuted him, so he has to move on with his life. 

He's lost a pretty good job in WWE, and a career as a pro wrestler it would seem. The guy is in his early 30's and he's blown it big time. What you'd hope is that he recognises he was an abhorrent human being, has learned his lesson, and tries to get on with life a better person.

If anything the questions should be aimed at the gym that's hired him. They obviously know what he's done, which tells me they either don't give a fuck, or he's convinced them he's changed his ways.

Let's hope for all concerned it's the latter.

On 10/3/2021 at 2:36 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I remember when Ched Evans was going to sign for Oldham and it kicked off. It was on the news on whatever radio station was on and a woman in my office said “Let him play for god sake, what else is he supposed to do”. I said how the call centre in our company were hiring and no experience was necessary as full training would be given, perhaps he could work there? She didn’t want him anywhere near the office and because football was his trade, he should return to that trade. So that’s good news for fans of Animal Hospital knowing Rolferoo should be allowed to do a new series when he’s out, I replied.

Yeah, but that's on the club who wanted to hire him, isn't it? I'm not claiming that Gallagher has any right to work in a gym, but that's down to the gym in question. I'm sure if the clientele felt strongly about him being there and made that known by cancelling memberships and going elsewhere he'd not be there long.

Just like Evans, you can't fault him for taking a job doing what he knows when it's offered. 

1 hour ago, theringmaster said:

How does Xander Cooper tie into the jack Gallagher accusations? Were they not separate incidents?

Looks like there were separate incidents pal. Sure they've been on the same show in the north west area and probably know each other quiet well. Always wondered as it was so many people who've done this sick stuff and were on same shows, did they all know what they were each doing and people who were friends with them knew what they were doing? Bet many didn't want to lose their spot or get blacklisted, which I think has happened in some places.

Xander Cooper and Jack Gallagher are mates. Gallagher talked about it in a bunch of podcasts years ago, they both came through Future Shock.

Likewise Jack's got a long standing relationship with the place he's working now. He was one of their main students when I passed through there about 10 years ago.