Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Isn't that a job? 

Aye well they put the email out saying that it would be on a voluntary basis and then a few paragraphs later came the target number of staff needed (so if there aren't enough volunteers, a number will be told to do it) and you'd be paid as normal.

5 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Aye well they put the email out saying that it would be on a voluntary basis and then a few paragraphs later came the target number of staff needed (so if there aren't enough volunteers, a number will be told to do it) and you'd be paid as normal.

They sent one around our work as well. I can't think of anything more worrying than being jabbed by someone who has hands as shaky as mine, when I'm nervous.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

They sent one around our work as well. I can't think of anything more worrying than being jabbed by someone who has hands as shaky as mine, when I'm nervous.

It just smacks of headline grabbing - we did a million jabs in one day - and the fact folk will be getting stabbed in the eye or wrong place won't matter. It's ridiculous.

I remember last year when the JRS was introduced and as a risk assessment there were 20 pages of why, from a compliance point of view it was not in the public interest (as it would cost hundreds of millions in fraud) and the email we got back was worded to the effect "By the time we get to the compliance side in 18-24 months it'll be someone else's problem. We need the headline. We need this done." 

And needless to say the amount of fraud committed through the schemes is 4 or 5x worse than anticipated and they are currently creating a whole new department (at tax payer cost) to investigate and try and recover the money. Hilariously bad. Obviously, not surprising. But they literally don't care about anything. 

Bloody Johnson with his wishy-washy "people will need to be careful and cautious" advice, he hasn't got a clue what's going on out there. I had the misfortune to travel to Manchester and back at the weekend. Things were made worse by Transpennine Express cancelling a bunch of trains due to industrial action (and no doubt some staff sickness too), but on both trains there were big groups of maskless people (mostly young lads). Now either all these groups of people all happened to be medically exempt (I think we can rule that out) or they simply don't give a toss about wearing masks despite it being mandatory, probably because there's nobody actually enforcing the rule at all that I can see. So if people don't bother wearing masks despite it being a legal requirement, does anyone seriously think they'll bother to "be careful and cautious"?

The fight to get enough of the public to be careful and cautious was lost a long time ago. I don't think there's anything that can be done about it now. Between lunatic MPs, employers who couldn't care less about their staff, crazy columnists and the massive self entitlement that comes with being British, its a lost battle. 

We were never going to be able to have a sensible conversation about masks in this country. My favourite thing is when people lie and say they have asthma and are therefore exempt and you get to say "that's okay, Asthma UK say you can still wear a face covering even if you have severe asthma and that actually it's easier in cold weather. In fact they even recommend it." 

7 hours ago, Vamp said:

The fight to get enough of the public to be careful and cautious was lost a long time ago. I don't think there's anything that can be done about it now. Between lunatic MPs, employers who couldn't care less about their staff, crazy columnists and the massive self entitlement that comes with being British, its a lost battle. 

We were never going to be able to have a sensible conversation about masks in this country. My favourite thing is when people lie and say they have asthma and are therefore exempt and you get to say "that's okay, Asthma UK say you can still wear a face covering even if you have severe asthma and that actually it's easier in cold weather. In fact they even recommend it." 

Granted I don't have severe Asthma, but I've had no breathing issues with masks. Plus, with how badly a chest infection can put me on my arse, I'd rather wear a mask than get covid. 

I think its just the first thing they can think of that doesn't require a serious performance. 

Where they rank on the list of Covid Arseholes is probably a matter for discussion. 

Covid Arseholes:

"Don't call him Boris" Boris Johnson

The government

The Tory party

People who pretend to have asthma to not wear masks even though the advice for asthmatic people is that they should

People who immediately take their mask off once they've got onto public transport (why bother in the first place)

People who take their masks off on public transport to have a really loud phone conversation that then turns out to be really boring 

Jeremy Corbyn's brother 

People who believe that this government is capable of a conspiracy 

People who make passive aggressive lists

Long time member but been a permo lurker in recent times, just wanted to come on here and let you guys know that this thread has constantly reassured me there are quality people out there who, without sounding like a school prefect, follow the rules and actually give a fuck about people. So yeah, nice one. *shuffles back under rock*

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Vamp said:

As a friend of mine pointed out to someone recently - if you have such trouble breathing that you're exempt from wearing a mask, the last thing you want is to catch a serious respiratory condition like COVID. If there were any evidence the maskless were taking other precautions, I'd have more sympathy.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

How does everyone see this panning out? Lockdown on the 28th seems to be gaining traction or do we think Johnson will appear on Thursday to alas his way through a speech about bulldogs and fighting spirit before locking us all down over xmas? 

Some press conference either just after Christmas or New Year bumbling about how “the numbers are too great” and “regrettably, we must take action” with loosley-defined restrictions imposed.

He’s spent the last two weeks weighing up whether to protect his job or the health and wellbeing of British citizens, and he’s chosen his own job at every turn.