Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

As a friend of mine pointed out to someone recently - if you have such trouble breathing that you're exempt from wearing a mask, the last thing you want is to catch a serious respiratory condition like COVID. If there were any evidence the maskless were taking other precautions, I'd have more sympathy.

I have moderate asthma i end up a course of roids twice a year. Ive also had a brush with viral pneumonia 10 year back....I can honestly say i thought i would die.  Your quite right the last thing i want is covid. Also ive never ever had any symptoms come on from wearing a mask.

• Paid Members

All boosted by the ol' Pfizer and to make sure the vaccine works properly, I had to pop into McDonalds for a double quarter pounder meal on the medical advice of the UKFF. 

Regarding the impending tightening of the restrictions, I must admit, my tolerance levels are being very stretched now. From the beginning I've been a staunch follower of the rules, I'm triple jabbed and still wear a mask everywhere, but its really taking its toll on me now to the point that I don't know how much longer I feel I can go on sticking religiously to the rules. With each Tory COVID scandal that comes along, my tolerance drops. My little lad had just turned 2 when the pandemic struck, he's nearly 4 now and has missed out on a lot of time spent with family, going to places he should at that age and just general life and I now have a 6 month old little girl and I fear the same for her as well. 

I honestly feel that if the Tories were overthrown and these restrictions were brought in, there would be more motivation to follow them, but you can guarantee that if we head into another lockdown or similar scenario, in 6 months time, there will be something come out that just makes a mockery of us all such as the Christmas parties from last year, the Hancock affair etc. 

Maybe I'm rambling, but this is the first time since circa March 2020 that I have genuinely felt like 'What is the point of it all?' and that there is no end in sight. (I understand the point of it all just to clarify). 

• Paid Members

I'm with @Nick James here with how I'm feeling at the minute too. So unbelievably fed up. I'm triple jabbed and would have 180 jabs if such a thing were necessary. Always wear my mask as it seems insane to wear it all day in work and then not wear it elsewhere. As well as that, I'm asthmatic (though pretty healthy despite that - though like most with that illness, when you get sick you know about it). People not wearing masks because they don't want to or think they can't because of breathing difficulties, yet still walking about  are fucking mental cases. If you can't fucking breathe wearing a mask, yet choose to mingle, good luck with Covid buddy. 

Like I'm sure several in here, I work in the NHS and the sickness is absolutely crippling us. Staff morale has never, ever been lower, and is getting worse every month. Unfathomable numbers of staff are handing in resignations, many without even another job lined up. 

FIgure this out. Someone In your household tests positive. You can't come into work. Fair enough. Yet you don't have to isolate. I can meet that person in the shop getting diesel on my way home, yet they are off work for ten days. Being triple jabbed doesn't help that in any way. The more people have been vaccinated, the worse staff absence has gotten in the NHS. A lot of that could be because as vaccination numbers have risen, restrictions have lifted, so positive cases go up even if the people are feeling better than they otherwise would. 

On top of that, at the beginning of the pandemic it was understood some non essential work would be stood down. Closing coffee bars, office workers cleaning their own offices or working from home, reduced services in other non clinical or essential areas. Certain audits stepped down or put on different timescales. However the staff sickness wasn't half as bad back then. Now that it's at an all time high, all services, plus more that we didn't do before (new areas and departments created, or due to social distancing, the buildings growing in size with temporary structures, meaning more hours being put in. Or extra staff going into high risk areas, so you're losing these people from other places). 

One thing that happened was that a lot of people who lost work in other fields could now apply through the workforce appeal to come into the trust. Unfortunately the turnover rate was sky high. Probably more than 50% of these people didn't stay. So your time was wasted in training them. I can't blame them either. The atmosphere was poison and if it was the field they wanted to work in, they probably would have been doing so long ago. 

Sorry for the ridiculously long post, I also rarely comment in here due to it feeling like an extension of work. If the general public took even the most basic of precautions (masks, sanitising, even businesses sticking to table bookings and not mingling with others in crowded hospitality areas etc) the NHS would have a little relief. Yet saying that, it's also completely unfair to put that burden onto the public, as the NHS being in trouble really only has one root cause, and that's the Tory government. Shower of cunts. Yet us, the public, essentially need to assume that burden, as the government are absentee landlords. 

Edited by WeeAl

I’m a one lunged benny and to be honest, I find wearing a mask helps, especially in the cold. When cold air hits the back of the throat, it isn’t good. So a mask neutralises the shock of the cold and assists with breathing. 

Just got my booster. I know this is judgemental but there was a young guy in a trackie going off at the three women behind the pharmacy counter. I think his partner had gone two days without meds and was suicidal. The older woman behind the counter was saying “Don’t swear at me” and he said he was swearing at the situation. He was saying how they should stop saying there was nothing they could do if they don’t have the prescription and they should “pick up a phone or fire off an email instead of wasting everybody’s time with those vaccines because I know what I’m those vaccines because I’m a geneticist”

Yeah, course you are, mate. 

I'm just getting more and more frustrated at the moment. It's my boy's birthday between Christmas and New Year and this was ruined last year and all the uncertainty this year is just creating more stress about whether we can do what we have planned.

I just don't see a way out without us just accepting at some point that if you are ill you isolate away or get treatment but if you aren't then just carry on. If people aren't vaccinated now then what else would it take them to do so? Half the UK has had a booster so I just don't get the logic of what another lockdown brings. We need to review the isolation periods for those who come in contact and then that will get things moving again. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, kieranjennings said:

I'm just getting more and more frustrated at the moment. It's my boy's birthday between Christmas and New Year and this was ruined last year and all the uncertainty this year is just creating more stress about whether we can do what we have planned.

I just don't see a way out without us just accepting at some point that if you are ill you isolate away or get treatment but if you aren't then just carry on. If people aren't vaccinated now then what else would it take them to do so? Half the UK has had a booster so I just don't get the logic of what another lockdown brings. We need to review the isolation periods for those who come in contact and then that will get things moving again. 

90k new cases announced today. Through extended friends and family I know of 20 people who have it after attending a wedding 10 days ago. Only one of whom is unfortunately in hospital. After not catching it since March 20, my household also got it 4 weeks ago. We were double jab but we’re waiting to be allowed to get the booster. 

Your point falls down on the basis that this country is full of morons, who will go it’s probably a cold, won’t test, and continue on their daily routine. Until everyone is prepared to test regularly and isolate if necessary, I don’t see a way out either. Plenty of Covid deniers, anti vaxers and general QAnon idiots are keeping this running wild.

Then what's the plan? It's the vaccination that keeps you from getting seriously ill and if that's successful then why need the other steps? People will get ill, but hopefully not seriously, else we will be in a never ending cycle of locking down which cannot be sustainable. 

Lockdowns were necessary to slow spread and to buy us time to find a solution. The solution was the vaccine that we now have (along with boosters) so why lockdown again? The 1bn we've found to go to the hospitality industry should have been spent on the last 2 years funding new nurses/new hospitals etc. which would have increased our capacity but we didn't so we are just back to nearly square one. 

It's a very real virus but that we have a way of dealing with it. The Covid deniers, anti vaxers and general QAnon idiots are indeed a big part of the problem but we also seem to have quite a large swathe of people happy to go too far the other way and obsess with the worst of consequences and accept all restrictions without challenge which is also a worry. We had a lot more people in ICU in October than we do now and Omicron has been with us for at least 4 weeks yet we are walking into another shut down. 

Consequences of lockdown far outweighed those of keeping going. I don't think the balance is the same now. 

The Sun (spit) says Johnson is set to make an announcement within the next 48 hours on if we can see our family at Christmas or not.

He's so fucking transparant. It'll be "hooray, you can see your family on Christmas! Because of me! Aren't I wonderful?! Now, *after* Christmas..."

Just now, 69MeDon said:

The Sun (spit) says Johnson is set to make an announcement within the next 48 hours on if we can see our family at Christmas or not.

He's so fucking transparant. It'll be "hooray, you can see your family on Christmas! Because of me! Aren't I wonderful?! Now, *after* Christmas..."

The now deputy editor of the Sun was in that wine and cheese meeting photo. The cunt knew about it and didn’t report it. 

20 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Your point falls down on the basis that this country is full of morons, who will go it’s probably a cold, won’t test, and continue on their daily routine.

It’s also full of people on zero hour / low wage contracts who know if they have to isolate, even if they don’t feel unwell, won’t be able to pay rent, put food on the table, heat their home. People are scared of getting tested in case they can’t earn. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The now deputy editor of the Sun was in that wine and cheese meeting photo. The cunt knew about it and didn’t report it. 

It’s also full of people on zero hour / low wage contracts who know if they have to isolate, even if they don’t feel unwell, won’t be able to pay rent, put food on the table, heat their home. People are scared of getting tested in case they can’t earn. 

Yes, of course not everyone who does so is a moron. And it’s where the “Golden Furlough” scheme failed millions of people who got sweet FA. My wife had to stop work for months last year as a mobile hairdresser and it was only because I earned sufficient money we could survive last year. I’m specifically talking about those who say you can’t have Covid if you don’t take tests and that ilk. 

2 hours ago, kieranjennings said:

If people aren't vaccinated now then what else would it take them to do so?

I'm all in favour of people, other than those medically exempt, being able to opt out of being vaccinated. Just be sure to make them sign away all future rights to NHS healthcare at the same time.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Probably because they'll have been waiting for the opportunity to forward an agenda with it. Now that the time is coming for people to start calling time on Johnson stuff like this that they've been sitting on for a year is going to help their cause.