Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Moderators
On 12/29/2021 at 2:02 PM, Chris B said:

Had my Moderna booster jab, then caught up with @Carbomband had vegetarian gyoza and green tea, because I live in North London and this is our Maccy D's. #classy #gentrification #ruiningthearea

20211229_171830.thumb.jpg.62f15804446e49552954152aa1573d53.jpg

What I want to know is how you handled the difficult situation of who gets the 5th gyoza?

• Paid Members

How is everyone finding the gym recently? I've grown quite the dad bod (and not the flattering kind either) and I am absolutely disgusted with how I look, so I'm looking at hitting the GYMGROUP near my work, but obviously being in an enclosed environment with sweat particles flying everywhere doesn't sound safe at all. I'm also one of these twats who just can't work out and leave, I HAVE to shower straight afterwards which is another safety issue to contend with.

I'm triple-jabbed so as long as I socially distance myself whilst working out and showering (steady on!) I should be okay but I'm still not convinced. Am I over-thinking this?

• Moderators

I mean. Yeah, it's a particularly high risk environment. You need to decide what your risk appetite is. And have a look specifically about what measures your gym is taking. Ultimately none of us are experts and the science is very abstract and intangible. So I suspect you'll do what we all do and that is make a gut decision and then find a way to rationalise it to yourself.

Best of luck!

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I mean. Yeah, it's a particularly high risk environment. You need to decide what your risk appetite is. And have a look specifically about what measures your gym is taking. Ultimately none of us are experts and the science is very abstract and intangible. So I suspect you'll do what we all do and that is make a gut decision and then find a way to rationalise it to yourself.

Best of luck!

Michael Scott Reaction GIF

It's the typical "We're wiping everything down and providing cleaning supplies, please respect other users social distance measures, etc etc" spiel on their website, but who knows how much of that is adhered to. You're right though in the end, I will rationalise my choice and I'll blame it on everyone else when it goes tits up.

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

How is everyone finding the gym recently? I've grown quite the dad bod (and not the flattering kind either) and I am absolutely disgusted with how I look, so I'm looking at hitting the GYMGROUP near my work, but obviously being in an enclosed environment with sweat particles flying everywhere doesn't sound safe at all. I'm also one of these twats who just can't work out and leave, I HAVE to shower straight afterwards which is another safety issue to contend with.

I'm triple-jabbed so as long as I socially distance myself whilst working out and showering (steady on!) I should be okay but I'm still not convinced. Am I over-thinking this?

Honestly I say do a home workout. I'm a fan of the no equipment, light impact ones that Joe Wicks has. 20 minutes tops and its a really solid workout. 

I scratch my head whenever I walk past a gym and see someone running on a treadmill during this pandemic.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, neil said:

Honestly I say do a home workout. I'm a fan of the no equipment, light impact ones that Joe Wicks has. 20 minutes tops and its a really solid workout. 

I scratch my head whenever I walk past a gym and see someone running on a treadmill during this pandemic.

Cheers, I'll look into that. I used to be well into my Couch25K/Couch210K stuff but after a while I plateaued and got frustrated with my lack of progression, so I quit because I'm an impatient bellend.

I've found faster success with treadmils and I don't have to deal with weather, traffic and people not picking up after their mutts, but going back into the great outdoors is probably the safest, albeit slowest and least comfortable, path right now.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Cheers, I'll look into that. I used to be well into my Couch25K/Couch210K stuff but after a while I plateaued and got frustrated with my lack of progression, so I quit because I'm an impatient bellend.

I've found faster success with treadmils and I don't have to deal with weather, traffic and people not picking up after their mutts, but going back into the great outdoors is probably the safest, albeit slowest and least comfortable, path right now.

There are a lot of good home stuff now. My wife loves The Body Project. It really helped her after last Christmas as she’s signing up again to their app to get all their classes. I know some people who swear by DDP Yoga which you can now get as an app as well.

I'be been going to the gym again since the end of the lockdown last Spring.  It's almost certainly my most high-risk activity despite their best efforts - lots of people without masks in a relatively small space sweating and breathing heavily.

Thing is - there's only so long you can bench-press the cat, do pull-ups on the door frame and stumble along to HipHop Abs.  Eventually you have to just decide to start doing some real exercise again and cross your fingers!

I figure, I'm triple jabbed, I won't be seeing anyone vulnerable in the near future, we're two years into this and I'm in my 40s, so if I don't lift an occasional weights I'll end up looking like an actual wrestling fan but clean.

18 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm not in the UK but I've gone straight back to the gym. The thing for me was making sure I went to a big professional one so forked out a bit more for a chain gym which is usually half empty. They have cleaners constantly disinfecting too which is reassuring. So if you do choose to use a gym id look for these things. 

That said if you have the space I'd consider forking out for a bit of equipment for home workouts such as some adjustable dumbbells up to a weight you think you might use and some resistance bands, ideally the type that are just one long cable which you can use clips.on the ends to attach different handles and accessories or bunch them together. A good set usually has at least one door loop thing to put behind a closed door adding a lot of versatility. 

During our last lockdown that's all I had and an exercise step as a bench. I actually found it worked relatively well once I got creative and found I trained myself to get a better mind-muslce connection rather than just lifting heavy. 

• Paid Members

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it. As much as I want the full gym experience again, I think I'm gonna hit the local parks on these cold frosty mornings before work and I'll go from there. Maybe I'll get a day pass just to see what the gyms are like later on, but with a young baby at home right now it's not worth the risk.

Edited by Accident Prone