Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That is the stance with my union, who I don't think are particularly good to be honest, but others may have different rules and regs, so I would approach them first, but definetly nothing wrong with engaging a solicitor if you think that's a better option.

It's a fairly standard union policy, and one well-founded. I used to work in Membership & Subscriptions for the union my mum was Legal Officer for, and one of the things that became very clear very quickly is that there was a regular problem with people trying to join the moment they had a problem, who were really just looking for cheap legal representation, and had no interest in being involved and showing solidarity with the union movement, which is the entire foundation of how it is able to work. There used to be a big problem with people joining up, getting help with their legal issues, then cancelling their membership once their case had been dealt with, win or lose, which of course drains the funds pool and weakens the union. 

Not saying that's definitely what QTR would do, but it is a good reason why most unions don't deal with pre-existing cases, and why a lot of them require members to have had membership for at least three months before they can access legal representation in tribunals or financial support (they still get access to advice, events, training programmes, and information resources). 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, zep81 said:

It does sound like we need some really terrible weather to get some of these people to stay in.

It isn't helping that it's been so fantastic. Especially when the kids are off school. Not everyone has a garden or a big one. So it's understandable that people are trying to utilise parks and beaches for walks and picnics as free entertainment in the fresh air. Not defending it but I get it. It doesn't help that the advice has been a bit wooly. "You can go out for exercise" means different things to different people. Some people are afraid to go beyond the garden gate. Some are running marathons.

I don't think we're doing a bad job overall. It could be better. The advice and leadership should be stronger. There are TV ads now and letters coming through your door. And they're still wishy-washy on the message. It should be really clear on time limit, distance limit, don't stop for a sit down, don't go within 2m of anyone else. It's not that hard.

Tell you who annoy me, the hypocrites who are out but moan about others who are out or post pics on social media. Saw a FB post from someone yesterday with her litlle homemade "STAY HOME STAY SAFE" video. Saw her going out in the afternoon.

I think people need to take a step back from bollocking everyone who enters a park.

Number 1, the biggest issue with all of this is the Government's response. Their failure with PPE, strategy and testing has caused serious damage and no doubt led to deaths. Blaming a bloke on a bench is not really important.

And number 2, a lot of people don't live in places with gardens or access to outside spaces. Some people live in shit situations. The park is there only place to escape where they are. We don't know all their stories and a sneering attitude towards them is wrong. I'm lucky, I have a garden. So many do not.

Yes some people are flouting the warnings, certainly the police should be managing that in the correct way. But large majorities are keeping social distance, and behaving responsibly in these outside areas. I honestly think people are aiming their anger at the wrong thing

Also this isn't aimed at anybody on here, just a general thought

Edited by Factotum

• Moderators

Most importantly it's my birthday on Saturday and I was going to go shooting clays with some tins on my mates farm as a special treat. So people need to stay in so there's no full lockdown. They can do what they fucking want on Sunday. 

8 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I think people need to take a step back from bollocking everyone who enters a park.

Number 1, the biggest issue with all of this is the Government's response. Their failure with PPE, strategy and testing has caused serious damage and no doubt led to deaths. Blaming a bloke on a bench is not really important.

And number 2, a lot of people don't live in places with gardens or access to outside spaces. Some people live in shit situations. The park is there only place to escape where they are. We don't know all their stories and a sneering attitude towards them is wrong. I'm lucky, I have a garden. So many do not.

Yes some people are flouting the warnings, certainly the police should be managing that in the correct way. But large majorities are keeping social distance, and behaving responsibly in these outside areas. I honestly think people are aiming their anger at the wrong thing

Also this isn't aimed at anybody on here, just a general thought

I almost entirely agree with you but I'm a little off with this whole "some people don't have..." thing (not specifically you saying it, i've heard it said a lot). Everyone's situation is different and lots of us are struggling because our living situation isn't ideal. Some people live with a whole bunch of people and can't find space to themselves. Some people live on their own and can't see anyone. Some families live in a small flat and don't have much space. Some people live in mould invested properties with landlords that won't fix anything.

The point though, is this sucks. It sucks in lots of different ways for lots of different people. Suggesting that it's people with gardens sneering at people without just makes it more us vs them and "you don't understand".

There is some valid criticsm of the behaviour that's going on outdoors. There's some invalid criticism too. I'm not sure defending the invalid criticism with rhetoric that undercuts the valid criticism ("but this is hard so I should be allowed to, see you don't have a garden you don't understand") is always a great move.

(Definitely no issue with people stopping to sit whilst outside btw, I kinda feel if you can find a space that also isn't blocking other people from safely moving around you then it's all fine. It's just being conscious of your surroundings, the people around you and potential people who might need to get around you)

Of course, this again boils down to vague regulations on the part of our government.

Suggesting that it's people with gardens sneering at people without just makes it more us vs them and "you don't understand".

I wasn't meaning to imply people with gardens as it seems to generally be just a number of militant people bracketing all those who are in parks as IDIOTS etc. Sorry, maybe wasn't clear on that

What gets my goat is the sheer amount of people in the woods and bridle paths now. Used to walk my dogs there all the time and see 4/5 people at most either walking dogs themselves or running. I see at least 25 people on them now, all over the fields and paths. 

I fully appreciate people need to walk but arranging meet ups in the fields etc is a royal piss take. Fuck off to the park with the rest of the bastards. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Most importantly it's my birthday on Saturday and I was going to go shooting clays with some tins on my mates farm as a special treat. So people need to stay in so there's no full lockdown. They can do what they fucking want on Sunday. 

Fuck off, it's *my* birthday on Sunday!

1 hour ago, Joe Blog said:

What gets my goat is the sheer amount of people in the woods and bridle paths now. Used to walk my dogs there all the time and see 4/5 people at most either walking dogs themselves or running. I see at least 25 people on them now, all over the fields and paths. 

I fully appreciate people need to walk but arranging meet ups in the fields etc is a royal piss take. Fuck off to the park with the rest of the bastards. 

I agree. When the girls are at mine, there is a park a few minutes walk from us. There is a massive open bit (obviously) but then towards one corner there is a wooded area. 

We've been going out after dinner/early evening so there's not many about and it's cooler, and we have a wander around the woods as we do big laps of the park, but we give way to dog walkers there as the way I see it, they're always there, and it's familiar for the dog's, but if we weren't in this situation, we wouldn't be in there.

Everyone is pretty respectful and like I've said before, you can't stay two metres apart at every single opportunity but that's why we go when it's quieter.

Mind you, two lads playing football last night booting it to each other, and I miss Monday 7-a-side so much, I had a moment where I wanted to two foot a 12 year old kid.

1 hour ago, organizedkaos said:

Of course, this again boils down to vague regulations on the part of our government.

I thought the police had been given permission to break up groups of people when they see them, no? If that is the case then it should be a case of them keeping an eye on places where said groups tend to congregate.

Personally, I have zero issue with people being out and about. So long as you're not moving around in groups that include others from different households, and you're maintaining a sensible distance from others, then it's fine to get some fresh air and stretch the legs a bit.

I feel some sort of timing guidelines would help. I've seen people argue that they need to take their kid outside for four hours a day which feels a little excessive especially as one kinda has to think of outside space as having a finite capacity).  People having a sit in the sun feels like it'd be less of an issue if encouraged to stick to a certain amount of time.

Doesn't have to be regulations too, just advise for things to think about. For example the difference between sitting on a bench on a path and sitting in the middle of a grassy area are quite different in how they affect others around you and others who may appear around you.  I know in some areas around me joggers are told not to overtake people, I've seen some stuff on twitter today about being conscious of "spit trails" whilst jogging.

I know the idea of strict rules on what you can and can't do is pretty scary but we're in scary times and a little more indication on what would be good/bad practice isn't a terrible idea.  I remember people getting into all sorts of arguments a couple weeks ago about whether they should be going to the shops or not.  Another country had basically said "aim for once a week" which actually clears things up pretty neatly. It doesn't have to be explicit rules but if you set some parameters with clarity and not vague terms like "where necessary" it does help. 

People interpretting this stuff is leading to a lot of unrest in multiple directions at a time when people are already getting pretty tense.