Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

I see the usual newspaper rags have gone into the Boris Johnson love in we all feared. Usual distraction from the fact that Government has bollocksed the whole thing up. Trump now saying the UK asked for 200 ventilators. While he's not known to be the most reliable of sources, given the EU fuck up with the ventilator scheme, this should be what everyone is focusing on.

• Paid Members

The Scum's "He stayed at work for you... now pray for him at home" is just sickening.He started the year on his jolly's (paid for by ?), he then told the country to get on with things until the science changed and then came up with some unhelpful guides on who could still work and couldn't. The nurses are the people who are staying at work for us and need our prayers not this tosser. I hope they go fucking bankrupt

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The Scum's "He stayed at work for you... now pray for him at home" is just sickening.He started the year on his jolly's (paid for by ?), he then told the country to get on with things until the science changed and then came up with some unhelpful guides on who could still work and couldn't. The nurses are the people who are staying at work for us and need our prayers not this tosser. I hope they go fucking bankrupt

I'm suprised this guardian article hasn't been passed around more. Although I guess there's so many predictions going round at the moment it's possibly worth taking with a grain of salt

(spoiler tagging it cos it's pretty bleak - and given people can already be in pretty anxious states I'd prefer to give you the choice to read)

I dunno if people just don't want to think about it, but absoloving the current government's handling of this mess because one of them got the virus they treated far too lightly is just sad.

Edited by organizedkaos

Our lack of testing means nobody knows what the real situation is.  I think we’ve done most of the right things at the right time, but our lack of home grown testing capacity has been seriously exposed.

• Paid Members

Until they get a reliable mass produced anti body test we are in limbo.

Im not one for conspiracy’s but did anyone here have a dam awful breathing virus around new year? I was really ill my mum and sister to. Nearly everyone I know had some form of it. one of mates even ended up in icu with pneumonia from it.  

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

I'm suprised this guardian article hasn't been passed around more. Although I guess there's so many predictions going round at the moment it's possibly worth taking with a grain of salt

(spoiler tagging it cos it's pretty bleak - and given people can already be in pretty anxious states I'd prefer to give you the choice to read)

I dunno if people just don't want to think about it, but absoloving the current government's handling of this mess because one of them got the virus they treated far too lightly is just sad.

I have a close working relationship with some NHS data analysts and there opinion is the article's numbers will be inflated based on actuality but the general prediction is accurate. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Until they get a reliable mass produced anti body test we are in limbo.

Im not one for conspiracy’s but did anyone here have a dam awful breathing virus around new year? I was really ill my mum and sister to. Nearly everyone I know had some form of it. one of mates even ended up in icu with pneumonia from it.  

Well, this is part of the problem right? First confirmed case was in January here. Because they tested for it. And even after that date they were not testing specifically for it. We know when the first case in Wutan was, but again, how long was it around before that happened?

There is every chance it was here before Christmas and has slowly spread. All the data we know is based on those tested, there could literally be thousands of people who have already had it, survived or died, and we have no idea. As I have said previously we all had the dry cough, fever and lack of smell and taste weeks ago. My mother in law had to go to hospital and was given a pump and it took her a few weeks to recover. But without testing we dont know if it was that or something else, and like you say, until we get that, we are in limbo. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Well, this is part of the problem right? First confirmed case was in January here. Because they tested for it. And even after that date they were not testing specifically for it. We know when the first case in Wutan was, but again, how long was it around before that happened?

There is every chance it was here before Christmas and has slowly spread. All the data we know is based on those tested, there could literally be thousands of people who have already had it, survived or died, and we have no idea. As I have said previously we all had the dry cough, fever and lack of smell and taste weeks ago. My mother in law had to go to hospital and was given a pump and it took her a few weeks to recover. But without testing we dont know if it was that or something else, and like you say, until we get that, we are in limbo. 

I actually think we are looking at a minimum of 10's of thousands who have had it and we will never now.

Anecdotal I know but I have colleagues who's partner tested positive and they didn't test but got mild symptoms which would strongly indicate they had it. They also said they could absolutely see the level of mild symptoms they received not registering as actually being infected. 

It is extremely unlikely that it was here in December. I recommend reading the excellent Guardian timeline on this all.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2020/apr/08/coronavirus-100-days-that-changed-the-world

Pneumonia and severe flu are quite common around that time of year anyway. I think we really need to step away from thinking that anyone had it in this time period.

Edited by Factotum

It did feel like common colds/flu was much worse at the end of last year. For those I know anyway. I'm not saying its COVID-19 but wouldn't surprise me if over time we learn that somehow COVID-19 has made common colds much worse. That's my personal opinion though.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

It did feel like common colds/flu was much worse at the end of last year. For those I know anyway. I'm not saying its COVID-19 but wouldn't surprise me if over time we learn that somehow COVID-19 has made common colds much worse. That's my personal opinion though.

I agreed with Factom is wasn't here by the end of last year. I absolutely think there are people self isolating "just in case" who did actually have it however but there expectations are the symptoms are to mild so cant be. 

The fact that care home deaths aren’t being included is ridiculous - they’re likely to be major centre for the disease.  That feels like a way of artificially making the numbers smaller.