Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

Did he really? Well I've done a 180 on him now, that's brilliant

One of the first days, he was saying "pretend you're a goalkeeper" whilst doing those star jumps where you grab up Then he just shouted "Bruce Grobelaar!!!" one other who I can't remember, then Kharin. I was pissing myself, and the kids were nonplussed. The little idiots.

Quiet roads and skies, people staying in their local community and supporting each other, long weekends at home with the kids...  I don't think the pace of life has been this slow in this country since WW2.  And if you can put the awful shit happening in the hospitals aside, it's actually quite.. pleasant.

I wonder if many people, who've been working every hour that God sends for 20 or 30 years, having finally been forced to slow down, might actually choose to carry some of these changes over into post-Covid life.  We work the longest hours of any country in Europe, it's almost a national obsession.  

• Paid Members

Just seen a post that they are talking about keeping the lockdown in place until the vaccine is widelly available(which could take a year by all accounts). If true(and the it linked to the Daily Mail, so take that into consideration), it's going to take decades until all the fallout from this has cleared...

6 minutes ago, Loki said:

Quiet roads and skies, people staying in their local community and supporting each other, long weekends at home with the kids...  I don't think the pace of life has been this slow in this country since WW2.  And if you can put the awful shit happening in the hospitals aside, it's actually quite.. pleasant.

Yeah, I'm thinking of changing my job after this all blows over. For years I've worked in jobs that require way more hours than what I'm contracted for, sacrificing family time, but it's just expected in these companies. I'm not even at that high a level either.

It makes you realise that you knock your pan in and really it doesn't matter if you don't have your health.

Then you have people in the NHS, cleaners, shops etc who are the ones who we really rely on and they are just paid so poorly while risking their health every day during this. Everything is just so imbalanced.

Hopefully society does change after this with people not overworked and those who truly deserve to be paid more, being paid more. Wishful thinking probably!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Just seen a post that they are talking about keeping the lockdown in place until the vaccine is widelly available(which could take a year by all accounts). If true(and the it linked to the Daily Mail, so take that into consideration), it's going to take decades until all the fallout from this has cleared...

Yet another report says oxford uni professor is 80% sure they will have one good to go by September. 

Without an affective treatment, vaccine, antibody test. Or testing all of us this can’t end. 

The good news is the world is now working together to beat covid19. I think this will be the first time in human history that’s ever happened. 

By September would be crazy quick. Vaccines usually take about 10 years. I think the fast one ever done was for the Zika virus a couple of years ago which took about a year to develop. Although the Zika virus had kind of fizzled out by the time the vaccine was made. So to make one for something like COVID19 in well under a year would be unprecedented.

There's no way lockdown could keep on going for a year. The government couldn't afford to keep paying the 80% of all the furloughed wages for that long for a start. The country would crumble.

• Paid Members

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-11/coronavirus-vaccine-could-be-ready-by-autumn-says-oxford-professor-sarah-gilbert/

Bold claim indeed. The only other option is to do staged lockdowns. Let us out wait till hospital admissions rise then shut it down again. 

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

By September would be crazy quick. Vaccines usually take about 10 years. I think the fast one ever done was for the Zika virus a couple of years ago which took about a year to develop. Although the Zika virus had kind of fizzled out by the time the vaccine was made. So to make one for something like COVID19 in well under a year would be unprecedented.

There's no way lockdown could keep on going for a year. The government couldn't afford to keep paying the 80% of all the furloughed wages for that long for a start. The country would crumble.

I think research on SARS could help as this strain has genetic similarity, but that's probably also leading to some false positives in testing? 

The Express is reporting today that we'll be out and back to normal by May 18th.

Has anybody seen that gofundme to raise ten grand for some cufflinks as a "get well" present for Johnson? 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

They have never developed a vaccine for any strain of Corona. Are they likely to be able to develop one at all?

They can create a vaccine overnight, but it takes a long time to make sure it’s safe to give to humans.