Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

So, looking at the data, we're pretty much on the same trend as Italy still - we were two weeks behind them comparatively but that advantage seems to have been squandered.

That means that we're going to blow past the optimistic 5,000 deaths and probably end up somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 in this first phase.  Which is still a lot more acceptable than the original government expectations of 250,000 if we hadn't gone into lockdown.  But still... feels like we fucked up at the start of this.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

That ones a stretch even by my standards.

Whats the 5G conspiracy? I know there was a video from Hong Kong showing people pulling a mast down but it’s since been disproven and was from the 2019 uprising

Also seen this doing the rounds

FDE70861-EE10-4A78-9917-87D8153AC66C.jpeg

8 hours ago, GIB said:

Question for anyone clued up on furlough...

How is it supposed to work for shift workers? 80% of basic only? I’m a welder and 2 weeks of the month I’m nightshift at a higher rate and average 40/50 hours of overtime a month on top of that. I’ve been furloughed on my basic but reading online I got the impression shift workers were based on their average earnings over the course of the previous tax year? I know people in similar work to me are getting a better deal that’s for sure.

I've been offering my services to answer questions on the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme in the jobs thread as I've had to become the resident expert on this in my role as an HR Director. 

Under the scheme, employers will receive a grant from HMRC to cover the lower of (i) 80% of an employee’s regular wage; or (ii) £2,500 per month, plus the associated employer National Insurance Contributions (NICs) and minimum automatic enrolment employer pension contributions on that subsidised wage. Fees, commission and bonuses will not be covered.

The guidance makes it clear that employers will be able to top up employees’ wages to 100%, but are not obliged to do so. At my employer, we decided to do so, but are not letting furloughed employees accrue holidays. 

For full-time and part-time employees, their actual salary before tax, as at 28 February 2020, should be used for the purposes of the 80% calculation. For those employees whose pay varies, it is the higher of either the same month’s earnings from the previous year or their average monthly earnings from the 2019/20 tax year, assuming they have been working for at least 12 months. For those who have worked for less than 12 months, employers should take into account their average monthly earnings since they started work.

I'm more than happy to answer any UKFF'ers questions on this topic - either in this thread, the Jobs thread or via DM. 

Stay safe.

I'd also like to add on the retention scheme - that I genuinely don't believe that the majority of employers that are getting this wrong a deliberately trying to short change people (yes, some will), but overall its a fluid situation and employers are rolling with the punches - there are lots of areas in the scheme that are not yet clearly defined - indeed the portal to even register folks doesn't exist yet and it may well not until May. I don't think companies will start receiving money for furlough until mid May either. 

HMRC will be issuing more guidance on how employers should calculate their claims for employees before the scheme goes live and I've spoken to employment lawyers who openly tell me they are debating numerous points with colleagues - such as how pensions, holiday accrual and benefits should be treated. There is also risk to employers around selection criteria employed if some work remaining requires that no all workers in a team are furloughed - how do we fairly select which we furlough and which we don't? Could we open ourselves up to claims related to fairness or discrimination? We chose not to employ selection criteria, but to employ a 3 week on, 3 week off cycle and split teams into 2 groups where we could to mitigate this risk - although I believe this risk to merely be a 'technical' risk because I expect employment tribunals to look very favourably on employers making decisions in this current crisis. 

• Paid Members

Yesterday we finally got the offered furlough we had been expecting in my team. 80% to furlough or full wages to redeploy with the parent company to help with a local scheme to assist vulnerable persons in the area. 

Annoyingly my employer wanted to furlough us on 100% using their cash reserves for the top up, but the parent company refused permission. I was hoping for the full pay and to volunteer part time. But the 100% and local assistance it will be. I'm still helping out those that need it 

• Paid Members

I'm getting my 80% as a furlough payment at the moment, we're down to a skeleton staff, but if things pick up they'll try and pay us the remaining 20%. 

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Oh good, more Simpsons memes. It must be WyattSheppMask's day off.

In other news, there was an arson attack in Liverpool yesterday...on a 5G mast, because of the 5G/coronavirus conspiracies. Christ.

Probably on the blame list for the premier League not being on.