Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

2 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

My takeon the footballers thing, is that we can't just have a blanket opinion on them. Some will hae looked after their money and easily afford to give up/defer their wages to allow the non-playing staff to be paid, but there will be a big chunk that have pissed it up the wall and will still live payday to payday(dispite the eye watering wages).

I've mentioned before that my (now ex) brother-in-law is a player that as played over 400 games, mainly in the Championship, but a few in League 1 too. His highest wage was in the £6k a week range, so good money, but certainly not retire at 35 and do fuck all after money. He's been tight with his money, so could probably afford to defer a wage or two to help out, but thats it. His previous club was one where they had a number of players on Premier League wages(£30k-£45k per week), and none of them had any savings of note by all accounts. They owed so much on car loans/leases(taking an expensive 3 year lease out, getting bored of the car after 6 months, so giving it back and swapping for another and wrapping the outstanding 2.5 year lease into the payment. And they did this over and over), spend thousands per week on expensive clothes, holidays and basically spunking money on shit incestmants that a month without any money would financially ruin them(I've said it would save them right for being dickheads and blowing their priveledged position). 

Assuming you mean he was earning quite a bit less that 6K a week for most of it because doing that maths if you split 6K in half and live of 3000 a week (12,000 a month roughly) then you'd still be rolling in it and save over 150K a year and in about 8 years have well over a million. If I had a million quid right now i'd never work again!

Ashley furloughing non playing staff at Newcastle, Levy at Spurs doing the same despite taking a 3 million quid bonus. Yet it's the players getting criticism from usual dead heads and politicians for not volunteering for a wage cut as they are an easy target and not well versed to defend themselves.

I wouldn't be one to defend Premier League footballers in general, but this is utter bullshit and is dickhead politicians trying to deflect attention from the mess they've made of handling this virus.

2 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Spurs lead the way in horrible toryism! About time they won something. 

OI OOOOOOI SPUDZ LOLZ.

4 minutes ago, DCW said:

Ashley furloughing non playing staff at Newcastle, Levy at Spurs doing the same despite taking a 3 million quid bonus. Yet it's the players getting criticism from usual dead heads and politicians for not volunteering for a wage cut as they are an easy target and not well versed to defend themselves.

I wouldn't be one to defend Premier League footballers in general, but this is utter bullshit and is dickhead politicians trying to deflect attention from the mess they've made of handling this virus.

Levy's bad, but Joe Lewis is much, much worse.

• Paid Members

Been working looking out on one of the busiest roads in the area for over a week now and I've only seen one group of any sort. 99% of the buses going past have less than 2 passengers. It's very eerie. I walked into square the other day because I had to go to the bank and most shops were shut, the ones open had 1 person in them if lucky and the bank, post office and supermarket had people queueing outside at a safe distance.

See people whinging online about people not sticking to the rules but it's clear that most people are.

10 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Been working looking out on one of the busiest roads in the area for over a week now

The things people will do to make ends meet never ceases to amaze me. #SexWorkersAreWorkers

I think the people who are whinging online are those who haven't been out and are relying on facebook and whatsapp for info, which is inevitably incorrect. I still have to go to work every day and the buses I get morning & evening have maybe 2 others at most on them, plus rows of seats are blocked off for social distancing and downstairs is reserved for elderly folk. You have to line up outside shops to get in keeping 2m apart, and when you get in they have staff making sure aisles are one way and checkouts aren't crowded, plus cleaning folks wiping down after each customer.

City centre and my local village centre are a ghost town, only the homeless and addicts living in hostels that kick them out all day are knocking about cos they've nowhere else to go. Lots of fucking disposable gloves disposed of on the ground and in shopping trolleys instead of in the bins, cos people are stlll lazy pricks!

33 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

Anyone reported any social gatherings etc yet? Wife and I were walking the dogs the other night and there was a group of teenagers hanging around at the playpark. Quick call to 101 and the police were out to send them all home. 

Snitches get stitches.

However, I did report the van selling black market goods and the police moved them on.  

8 minutes ago, DCW said:

I think the people who are whinging online are those who haven't been out and are relying on facebook and whatsapp for info, which is inevitably incorrect. I still have to go to work every day and the buses I get morning & evening have maybe 2 others at most on them, plus rows of seats are blocked off for social distancing and downstairs is reserved for elderly folk. You have to line up outside shops to get in keeping 2m apart, and when you get in they have staff making sure aisles are one way and checkouts aren't crowded, plus cleaning folks wiping down after each customer.

City centre and my local village centre are a ghost town, only the homeless and addicts living in hostels that kick them out all day are knocking about cos they've nowhere else to go. Lots of fucking disposable gloves disposed of on the ground and in shopping trolleys instead of in the bins, cos people are stlll lazy pricks!

Yeah those blue disposable gloves are everywhere on the paths down here as well. The local ne'er do wells - Cork winos you'd know to see nearly every day - are still out and about as you assume they would be, only the pandemic has meant they effectively outnumber the amount of other folk on the streets at some points in the day. 

The city centre basically looks like a Fallout mod that replaces all the NPCs with Deliveroo riders.