Saudi Arabia not allowing anyone into the country from coronavirus infected countries.

Angle_fan

• Awards Moderator

I should add to my post on the last page that I’d already cancelled the Network - my subscription just runs until Tuesday. I’m all for Goldberg as Universal Champion. It’s cute how people think that title means bollocks all, it’s only been around 4 years. And Wyatt winning in the first place was silly, why would a Fiend even want the title anyway? 

• Paid Members

I’m honestly amazed by the reaction. Considering every fucker online considers themselves a, “smart,” fan, what else were they expecting? Anyone with any sense for this business realised pretty quickly that the far bigger star was Goldberg and the far bigger match was Goldberg vs. Roman.

All this talk about Bray being, “buried,” or, “killed,” is fucking ridiculous too considering Hell in a Cell was only a few months ago. If we’ve learnt anything since he moved to Smackdown it’s that Bray should never have even been Champion begin with. The character never needed the belt and the only reason he ended up with it was because they booked themselves into a corner announcing that first Seth match. He’ll work a million times better as a mid-card attraction or Title challenger, anyway.

Plus, quite frankly, if I’m Bray Wyatt himself, I’m super relieved. The options for Wrestlemania were either Roman or Cena. So given Roman’s history of matches dying on their arse at that event, combined with what damaged goods Roman has become after feuding with Corbin for literally half a year, and the fact that Cena’s been gone forever so is going to feel hot as fuck, I’d take big match John all day long. Had Bray kept the belt, tonight would’ve been the start of him and Roman feuding and I can’t think of anything I’d be less excited about. Him murdering the returning John Cena in some mad rampage though? I’m in.

And finally, doing it this way perfectly sets up Bray as Roman’s first challenger after Wrestlemania. Doing it the other way, who the hell would’ve been first for Roman post-Mania? Corbin again?! Fucking hell.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I'm with @Supremo, this could be great for Wyatt in the longer term. He can fit into that Undertaker attraction role without having to be in any particular title programme, but he can be a legitimate challenger when needed. It's a sweet spot and lets him do his wacky shit without being booked into a corner. 

I thought this show was absolutely hysterical. One thing after another that bought rapturous joy to my soul. Fans shaky on Mansoor? Only in WWE. Building up an Undertaker Vs. Styles match by having Taker chokeslam and pin him without taking his hat or coat off? Too good to be true. Ricochet being treated like Lee Scott? Feed me more. The new age monster that they've pushed harder than anybody in years gets beat in three minutes by 53 year old Goldberg? Get the tissues, love.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

Fiend never really needed the belt though, why would he be bothered with a title in the first place. They've then booked themselves in to a corner because eventually somebody has got to beat him and who have they got that can topple the unstoppable monster other than Lesnar, Goldberg or Taker, all of whom would send dem in to orbit if they won

30 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

And Wyatt winning in the first place was silly, why would a Fiend even want the title anyway? 

That's a difficult one. I definitely see your point but at the same time, it's a wrestling company so I suppose we should assume that everyone wants the title. I agree more that he doesn't need the title though, mostly because booking him into that corner was never going to help him.

I guess the main challenge is identifying what the endgame is for a character like The Fiend when you're introducing him in a wrestling environment, and that's the biggest challenge of them all. Why's he there? What's his goal? Where is he looking to go? Undoubtedly it's a fantastic character and brought some much-needed freshness and creativity to a stale environment but the issues of longevity and meaning are tough to overcome.

It's all in the writing really. Establish motive, give a reason for his existence and then there's no real need to enter him into the title picture. Otherwise he's just another talent.

Years ago I wrote a post that got slated and critised, I would love to be able to find it but I said then that WWE can't continue to rely on rolling out the likes of Goldberg, Undertaker and I mentioned others at the time I think like Triple H and the Rock to boost their rantings or ticket sales. Here we are in 2020 when I'm guessing I wrote the post in like 2014 2015 and the UKFF diehards criticised it but I hate to say I told you so but I told you so.

WWE clutching at straws to move tickets for WrestleMania which I read some were aren't moving to fast at the moment, throwing the big guns on to the card because they have very little faith in their young roster to carry the ball on their own but it's going to have to happen someday cause the likes of Goldberg and Taker aren't going to be around for ever.

18 minutes ago, C-Rock said:

Years ago I wrote a post that got slated and critised, I would love to be able to find it but I said then that WWE can't continue to rely on rolling out the likes of Goldberg, Undertaker and I mentioned others at the time I think like Triple H and the Rock to boost their rantings or ticket sales. Here we are in 2020 when I'm guessing I wrote the post in like 2014 2015 and the UKFF diehards criticised it but I hate to say I told you so but I told you so.

WWE clutching at straws to move tickets for WrestleMania which I read some were aren't moving to fast at the moment, throwing the big guns on to the card because they have very little faith in their young roster to carry the ball on their own but it's going to have to happen someday cause the likes of Goldberg and Taker aren't going to be around for ever.

Probably the post on the first page of this topic:

It's actually an interesting topic to look back on.

Personally I think Vince worries too much about the 'big names' and bringing those in. Wrestlemania just sells itself doesn't it? It's a big brand name. Same as the Rumble. I've always felt people just watch it regardless.

11 minutes ago, DCW said:

I would love a Bryan v Cena (who's the better man type face v face) feud. So much they could do with their history and their personal lives being so closely aligned for a good few years. Match would be a cracker too.

Yeah me too. I don’t hold out much hope though.

Is this the first time a Hall of Famer has held an active title?

Seriously though, what were people expecting from a Goldberg match in 2020? That’s not aimed at anyone on here because most of us have got our heads screwed on, but the comments/twitter outpouring has been hilarious, yet quite harrowing.

Bray never needed the belt and he’ll be fine. Does Goldberg/Roman need the title? Probably not, it’s a massive match on its own, but it’s gets the belt onto Roman who on the Smackdown side of things is their biggest full time star despite having Baron fucking Corbin anchored to him for the last 6 months.

Coming out of this, Wrestlemania interest has certainly shot up with Goldberg/Roman and the possibility of Cena against The Fiend. Even with the same guys just switched about you’ve got 2 interesting matches rather than 1

I'm all for Edge, Goldberg, Undertaker. They're the big names from our youth, and while I'm not usually one to side with the rest of the wrestling internet, it does make you realise that this is the first wave of wrestling fans now who've never had a real star from their own generation. Reigns is as close as they've got, but he's been constantly overshadowed by Cena, Lesnar and other big names from past. 

Daniel Bryan was probably the last one and his climax was six years ago, a lifetime for a young fan. 

It must be frustrating as fuck to constantly see your favourite wrestlers losing to guys whose careers peaked before they were born.

It's a rare time that I'm actually empathising with the rest of them. Cancel Network tweets might sound corny as fuck to us cool bastards on the UKFF, but if I was a 20 year old fan now I'd be gutted, and would be seeing WWE as the company that seemingly books its entire self as a heel for whatever reason.