Saudi Arabia not allowing anyone into the country from coronavirus infected countries.

Angle_fan

• Paid Members

WWE should try finding new Brocks and Goldbergs, instead of hiring the likes of Adam Cole and Johnny Gargano to do their high school drama marathon bouts. Its obvious the big men who hit people is where the money is. Seeing Ricochet marking out for himself because he gets to share a ring with Brock Lesnar showed you the difference between the big boys and people who are just happy to be there.

The whole growing up a superfan/happy to be there thing explains how the current crop generally make for more entertaining WWE 24 documentaries than they do selling the emotion of a match. Behind the scenes are great to a point - I didn't think I'd be able to get enough of them when the network first started - but even they've been oversaturated now too. I know kayfabe is dead, but you've got a deluge of WWE uploaded footage of them hugging it out, playing Madden and carpooling around interstate lines. Then when you see them on Raw they're not even giving you a half decent reason why they're fighting it out. That's an issue.

It's not an issue when you've got the Lord of the Rings DVD, and there's a feature documentary where Viggo and Legolas are fly fishing in between takes, budying it out. You still fall in with the journey they're on in the film. But that's proper art. Wrestling has kayfabe and heat in place of that. And there's no heat without a bit of kayfabe. Just wanky move cheers and return pops. So you may as well get back to pretending. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, LCJ said:

I’m not a business analyst and I don’t know the full facts and figures but I’m guessing the Fox deal alone and the ridiculous money they paid for Smackdown is one of the main reasons WWE is actually doing well financially. But if Live attendances and ratings continue to decline like they have been doing, will Fox still want them when the contract is up for renewal?

If the company is doing so great, then why did Vince fire the two people beneath him and why is there talk of pay per views leaving the network and actually being pay per views again? I suppose while WWE are still profitable, then the argument is there to carry on as they are doing but from a fan’s perspective, the product is awful right now.

I can't disagree about the quality of the product. I haven't watched in years.

It's not about you and me though. These days, WWE is a completely different animal from every other wrestling company in history. They can happily live without my £9.99 a month as long as they've got Saudi Princes and TV executives chucking money at them and the share price stays relatively stable.

*IF* that money ever stops then that's when we'll see things change, because it'll need to. Same as it did when Vince nearly lost everything trying to find "The Next Hulk Hogan" and he had no option but to start seriously listening to other people. Personally, I thought we'd have reached that point years ago, and yet they actually seem to be doing better and better every single year.

WWE have a certain format for their top faces over the past decade or so. Look at Roman, Rollins and Cena - trained to follow the PR line and the script to within an inch of their lives, sqeaky clean, slapstick humour. That works very well for the licensing side of the business - it's family friendly, attractive to advertisers and sponsors and as kids seem to lap it up, merch is shifted by the bucket load, however, it doesn't make for good television, particularly for the 18-34 demographic and in there lies the conflict. The success of the licensing/marketing side of the business hinges on families/children and the success of the TV/PPV/Network model hinges largely on engagement with 18-34 and 34-50 year old males. This, I think, makes it tricky to get the creative right.

I know what I'd personally like to see from the top faces - a bit more grit, less scripting, more kind of imperfect anti-hero types - but I understand why they don't pursue this approach. 

• Paid Members

The problem is even when they do sign bigger guys now they have them doing fucking flips. I want to see big boots and splashes to the corner from 300lb+ guys unless you're Vader.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The problem is even when they do sign bigger guys now they have them doing fucking flips. I want to see big boots and splashes to the corner from 300lb+ guys.

Keith Lee, though he does some flipz, should be pushed to the moon. He looks like a beast and would be better off outside the NXT ring style. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Trevor Lee, though he does some flipz, should be pushed to the moon. He looks like a beast and would be better off outside the NXT ring style. 

I've just looked him up, he's 6ft and 220 and looks like a gentleman of the road. What am I missing? 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, gmoney said:

I've just looked him up, he's 6ft and 220 and looks like a gentleman of the road. What am I missing? 

Ffs. I meant Keith Lee! I think Trevor Lee is in NXT now as Cameron Grimes? Yeah, their names are similar, everything else is notSee Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Keith Lee, though he does some flipz, should be pushed to the moon. He looks like a beast and would be better off outside the NXT ring style. 

Keith Lee looks like an old school, unathletic brawler who should hardly ever bump or leave his feet. He's clearly got a great connection with the audience but they're just making him like everyone else. He should be pushed like a new Stan Hansen.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The problem is even when they do sign bigger guys now they have them doing fucking flips. I want to see big boots and splashes to the corner from 300lb+ guys unless you're Vader.

Well I’ve never seen Braun flip, his problem is that he has lost too many times when it counts.

Brock and Goldberg both destroyed everyone for long periods of time, then when they have to lose they are protected and it’s against proper main eventers. If Braun hadn’t been pinned for a year and only taken a few screwy losses he could have been up there.

That ship has sailed now.