All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

• Paid Members

Kill list is Dogshit, legitimately one of the worst films I've ever seen and I think Ben Wheatley is one of the most overhyped directors of the last decade. It belongs nowhere near a top ten. I'd chuck a Field In England in the bin as well. I'm glad he's stuck directing The Meg 2

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

My daughter saw The Meg at the cinema with her friend who is called Meg, which amuses me to this day.

The Meg was a great laugh. Saw it twice at the cinema. We must support and protect Jason Statham at all costs.

• 6 months later...

The first two "Shocktober" films are down, started with Cronenberg's remake of The Fly which I hadn't seen since I was a child.. it's brilliant and good god the effects towards the end are gross and so good.

Second was a very similar film in some ways, Altered States. I'm not sure how it's viewed today with what could be seen as cultural stereotypes on screen but it's a visually amazing bit of work. I did find it funnier that was meant, the idea of some mystic drug doing that..

Edited by Merzbow

I got about ten minutes from the end of The Fly before I had to turn it off because I thought I was going to be violently sick due to the special effects. Just thinking about them now is making me gip. Hellraiser has a similar effect and also, bizarrely, the banquet scene from Temple Of Doom.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

"Shocktober"

Is this just a generic catch-all term for watching horror films in October? Or is it an actual list that people are watching along with? 

Only asking as I'd love to catch some unseen horror films this month but I know left to my own devices I'll just end up watching the same ones I watch every year.

15 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Is this just a generic catch-all term for watching horror films in October? Or is it an actual list that people are watching along with? 

Only asking as I'd love to catch some unseen horror films this month but I know left to my own devices I'll just end up watching the same ones I watch every year.

I think it's a generic term, some people have likely made public lists though. I'm just winging it day by day, like tonight I'm watching 2016's Raw.

I am kinda leaning towards body horror all month, though.

• Paid Members

There’s one moment in Raw (and if you’ve seen it you know exactly what I’m talking about) which is one of the most stomach churning things I’ve seen. Great film but that moment was hard to watch! 

I’ve never seen a Saw film, are they any good? I see there’s a new one at cinemas that I might check out 

1 hour ago, waters44 said:

I’ve never seen a Saw film, are they any good? I see there’s a new one at cinemas that I might check out 

The first is very good, especially when you factor in how it was done on such a tight budget and filmed in under 2 weeks, and gave the genre a real shot in the arm. The majority of mainstream horror for the last near 20 years has been influenced by it in some way.
2 is alright and 3 is passable, but after that it all gets very silly like the majority of franchises. Had they left it as a trilogy, the ending to 3 would be a gruesome but excellent way to go out.
4 thrusts a bit part character into a leading role, 5 treads old ground so you see everything coming a mile off, and 6 has some proper barrel scrapping going on. 7 goes (bad) 3D, which was the style at the time. Jigsaw again reuses ideas from previous films and Spiral was barely a Saw film.
Having said that, I’ll always have a soft spot for Saw. It was the first franchise that I proper got into. Nightmare on Elm Street was already done with, Friday The 13th was onto Jason X by the time I was old enough to go to cinema to see those types of films, Halloween was upto H20 and there had already been 2 (maybe 3) Scream films, so Saw was the first proper original franchise that I got to see from the start and going each year was a good night out with the boys.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

The first Saw felt pretty revolutionary at the time. On rewatch it's full of plot holes and truly terrible acting but you can't deny how creative it is, influential it was or how ingenius the central premise was. Seeing it in a packed cinema on opening weekend is one of the best cinema experiences I've ever had. You could feel everyone's mind being blown by that twist at the end.